Lamar and the Ravens reach a deal

Draconator

18 minutes ago, appoo said:

That’s how life works. He’s the best at what he does on the planet. When you’re the very very best at what you do in your field, then you demand top dollar for your services.

whether it be engineering, football or nannying. 

Have other big time QBs held out in the early-middle part of their deal and demanded a new deal before? Trying to think of examples...

36 minutes ago, Beach said:

what am i missing? he is good but not this good, right?  is it just me?

Probably not missing anything.  It's just a fact of life that every new deal signed for anybody better than a decent QB in particular sets the bar to a new height.  Has the guy with Chargers signed yet?  Likely he'll be higher yet.

25 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Ravens didn’t cave all the way to a fully guaranteed deal, but they caved. No one seems to think of the possibility that Lamar was just playing hardball. Negotiators generally ask for more than they expect to get. 

It sounded like last year already Ravens and Jackson had agreed on overall numbers, issue was Jackson wanted fully guaranteed and Ravens said no.  That was the hold up.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It sounded like last year already Ravens and Jackson had agreed on overall numbers, issue was Jackson wanted fully guaranteed and Ravens said no.  That was the hold up.

Last year they didn’t agree to what Lamar just got.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Ravens didn’t cave all the way to a fully guaranteed deal, but they caved. No one seems to think of the possibility that Lamar was just playing hardball. Negotiators generally ask for more than they expect to get. 

The entire crux of the hold up was Jackson demanding a fully guaranteed contract. He caved. The deal he signed, while a bit higher than the last offer due to other new contracts in the market, is the exact structure the Ravens wanted all along.

Jackson could have had this contract whenever he wanted. He didnt need to do any of this over the last 2 years. Likely cost the Ravens a playoff win last year over it.

53 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

glad to see Lamar came off the guarantees, because really, once that deal is signed he gets paid either way unless they cut him or he agrees to take less in a restructure

Only way they straight up cut him is if his career totally implodes, which I do not see happening. Thus, he's getting all that $$ whether it's guaranteed or not. 

That's the thing I didn't understand.  Something catastrophic would have to happen for him to not see every cent of this deal.  

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

The entire crux of the hold up was Jackson demanding a fully guaranteed contract. He caved. The deal he signed, while a bit higher than the last offer due to other new contracts in the market, is the exact structure the Ravens wanted all along.

Jackson could have had this contract whenever he wanted. He didnt need to do any of this over the last 2 years. Likely cost the Ravens a playoff win last year over it.

No. He was just holding his guarantee demands unrealistically high until the QB contracts and guarantees took another jump up. He let Hurst’s agent do the heavy lifting and then he piggybacked on it and added his bump. 

• Agree 1

Said it before and I’ll say it again: QB contracts are out of hand relative to what other positions bring in. I’m not calling for equality, far from it, but when Lamar signs for $52M/yr and we scoff at someone like Nyheim Hines who’s on the books for $5M and is asked to take a pay cut, something ain’t right.

Just now, BarleyNY said:

No. He was just holding his guarantee demands unrealistically high until the QB contracts and guarantees took another jump up. He let Hurst’s agent do the heavy lifting and then he piggybacked on it and added his bump. 

Hurts*

But he didnt need to do any of that. His demands of the fully guaranteed had zero affect on any contracts. He could have just said "No, I'm waiting" and been in the exact same situation as other contracts were signed.

He made it known publicly that he wanted a fully guaranteed contract, and didnt get it.

I dont believe he was just waiting for the market to get to a certain point. He would have signed last year at a lower number than Hurts if it was guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hurts*

But he didnt need to do any of that. His demands of the fully guaranteed had zero affect on any contracts. He could have just said "No, I'm waiting" and been in the exact same situation as other contracts were signed.

He made it known publicly that he wanted a fully guaranteed contract, and didnt get it.

I dont believe he was just waiting for the market to get to a certain point. He would have signed last year at a lower number than Hurts if it was guaranteed.

It was smart of Lamar to handle it the way he did: Pay me early and I want a fully guaranteed deal. If not, I’ll wait for more total money and guarantees. What’s wrong with that?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Said it before and I’ll say it again: QB contracts are out of hand relative to what other positions bring in. I’m not calling for equality, far from it, but when Lamar signs for $52M/yr and we scoff at someone like Nyheim Hines who’s on the books for $5M and is asked to take a pay cut, something ain’t right.

Thing is.. Hines is still overpaid compared to some of the FA deals we saw last month…

If you aren’t a “name” then don’t expect much..: Beane signing everyone for $1.7M …Rapp for one was expected to get a lot more…

Its still a lot of money to play a game though…

Just now, BarleyNY said:

It was smart of Lamar to handle it the way he did: Pay me early and I want a fully guaranteed deal. If not, I’ll wait for more total money and guarantees. What’s wrong with that?

He didnt do anything special or smart. Other than decide to be a QB when he was a kid. He is making more money now simply because time passed and life happened as normal.

He didnt get his demands, and he took the standard "next QB in line" contract. Good for him that it was a higher amount than when he started. As it should be.

But he caved after he was granted permission to seek a trade and found no market. And after he was tagged and found no market.

I dont have any ill will towards Lamar. I'm actually really happy for him that he got paid. Finally. But from a business stand point, he was far more lucky than smart. And that's fine.

Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, etc will all sign bigger contracts. It isnt because they are better at negotiations. It's because they are next in line.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, appoo said:

If you’re Mahomes and his agent they should be throwing a riot right about now 

Not if it’s me. That sounds like Bruce, however. I’d have let him sit out. 

They made a fair deal at the time that pleased both sides. They have generational wealth, and enough left over to pay the rest of the team and keep winning Super Bowls. That leads to more endorsements. I’m not a “resent the rich guy” kinda person, but greedy is different IMO. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.