Education in America

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The result of dumbing down education at the high school level - and it absolutely has.

I just told you: no it isn't. It isn't "dumbing down at the high school level." It is a pure selection effect. College was for elites, either economically (which, not surprisingly, also tend to be smarter than average) or intellectually in 1939. Now it's for everyone. It has nothing to do with dumbing down; it has everything to do with "dumbing up," as the dumber kids (who've always been there) now go to college too.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

I just told you: no it isn't. It isn't "dumbing down at the high school level." It is a pure selection effect. College was for elites, either economically (which, not surprisingly, also tend to be smarter than average) or intellectually in 1939. No it's for everyone. It has nothing to do with dumbing down; it has everything to do with "dumbing up," as the dumber kids (who've always been there) now go to college too.

Going to college does not = smart.  Sorry.  It doesn’t.  

In fact if you are paying for it likely because you’re white and your family makes over 100K bc it’s made good decisions, you may want to say - nah I’ll try a trade.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Blitz said:

Going to college does not = smart.  Sorry.  It doesn’t.  

Correct. That's what the article says (as it makes great hay of an incredibly obvious thing).

Going to an elite college = really smart. Almost without fail.

Going to a competitive college = smart. Except for athletes and legacies at certain ones.

Going to any old college or community college = can't make any valid inference re: intelligence.

• 2 weeks later...