Education in America

On 4/25/2023 at 8:43 AM, Big Blitz said:

I give it 10 years then it’s over.  

The real estate tax savings are going to be necessary anyway to compensate for your 15 percent interest rate - but housing costs that hold because the government continues to subsidize it.   

Democrats turned their back on manufacturing.  They’ll do the same with education.  

None of this is very surprising parents today would rather be their child friend than a parent and disapline is a thing of the past ! The downfall of our country started in the home not in the schools. 

• Agree 1

Look at the story of Dorothy Tillman. Got her PhD at 17.  

Never went to private school.  As they are failing.  Home schooled.   Then college through online portals.  

Public schools are a failure on every metric.  They have become social contagion centers more than actual education.  

https://abcnews.go.com/living/story/teenager-earns-doctoral-degree-age-17/?id=110129194

17 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

An AP class where a student scores a 4 or 5 is an A everywhere in the country and that is on a 6.0 scale.  Most of my students have at least 4 AP level classes during there last two years of high school, my daughter will have one  this year during her freshman year,  three sophomore, and likely only AP core classes her last two years. All AP classes are standardized across the country.

So here's what I think is going on.

My kids' school (a private school by the way) is on a 4.3 (I think) max for a non-AP class. That's an A+

You don't get a 5 (or 5.3) for anything other than an A/A+ in an AP class. The AP exam (scored 1-5) is totally separate and taken for college credit. The score on those exams isn't factored into GPA. This is pretty normal among college prep high schools (I know from having gone thru the dreaded college app process for highly competitive colleges).

Even freshman/soph "Honors" classes are scored max 4.0/4.3.

There are no 6s. Why would there be 6s? I have never heard of that anywhere else.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

37 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So here's what I think is going on.

My kids' school (a private school by the way) is on a 4.3 (I think) max for a non-AP class. That's an A+

You don't get a 5 (or 5.3) for anything other than an A/A+ in an AP class. The AP exam (scored 1-5) is totally separate and taken for college credit. The score on those exams isn't factored into GPA. This is pretty normal among college prep high schools (I know from having gone thru the dreaded college app process for highly competitive colleges).

Even freshman/soph "Honors" classes are scored max 4.0/4.3.

There are no 6s. Why would there be 6s? I have never heard of that anywhere else.

The AP class will still have a grade along with it regardless of how you did on the exam. A kid could score a 2 on the exam but still would need a grade of a B or a C, which is on the 6.0 scale. The 6.0 scale has come about because  in FL some classes literally had 12 students who had perfect 4.0 GPA in a class, but one kid only took easy classes and another took all AP but all had to be labeled valedictorian. Now we can separate them, our valedictorian actually took enough AP course that she technically earned her College degree before graduating high school. But it does explain where the higher GPA comes from, thanks. BTW this is not my student but the same story

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/florida-girl-graduates-from-high-school-and-college-in-same-week/

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

The AP class will still have a grade along with it regardless of how you did on the exam. A kid could score a 2 on the exam but still would need a grade of a B or a C, which is on the 6.0 scale. The 6.0 scale has come about because  in FL some classes literally had 12 students who had perfect 4.0 GPA in a class, but one kid only took easy classes and another took all AP but all had to be labeled valedictorian. Now we can separate them, our valedictorian actually took enough AP course that she technically earned her College degree before graduating high school. But it does explain where the higher GPA comes from, thanks. BTW this is not my student but the same story

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/florida-girl-graduates-from-high-school-and-college-in-same-week/

She earned 120 credits through AP courses?  Dang.  I had 19 credits going into college and graduated a semester early.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

She earned 120 credits through AP courses?  Dang.  I had 19 credits going into college and graduated a semester early.

It is fairly typical now, at least at my school. My son finished his first year at FSU and is 36 credits from graduating now. He can't finish before December 2025 because he has a progression in his major but he will likely be a grad student before turning 21. Also my son was right around the 10% of his class for GPA so he had a lot of kids who start college as Sophomores or better. 

• Like (+1) 1