The Allen-Diggs Relationship in Decline?

hondo in seattle

2 hours ago, babulator said:

Thank god we turned the page. 1 of these players will still be spoken about in 10 years, the other will barely be remembered at all. Go Bills!

Diggs was great for the Bills and played a huge role in the growth and development of Josh Allen.

I would hope that in 10 years Bills fans would be over themselves and recognize and respect Diggs for the player he was. I get wounds are fresh now (kinda), but much longer and it just looks like a petty, spiteful, ignorant fan base hating on one of their best former players.

Reed had issues with Kelly, fist fights, threatened to leave Buffalo numerous times because his wife hated it here, was (is still) a huge ahole to fans at times especially when you catch him coked out, never won us a Super Bowl and melted down in SB26. We still love him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm bumping this to gloat a bit.  

I got beat up for this thread: told the thread was "garbage," seeing "drama that wasn't there," and so on.  

The nervous exasperation of posters telling you to "delete this thread" is pretty funny.

How can so many people that follow this team so intently be so very, very wrong? Well you see, if there's an outcome you don't like, just stick your head in the sand and shout it down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Diggs was great for the Bills and played a huge role in the growth and development of Josh Allen.

I would hope that in 10 years Bills fans would be over themselves and recognize and respect Diggs for the player he was. I get wounds are fresh now (kinda), but much longer and it just looks like a petty, spiteful, ignorant fan base hating on one of their best former players.

Reed had issues with Kelly, fist fights, threatened to leave Buffalo numerous times because his wife hated it here, was (is still) a huge ahole to fans at times especially when you catch him coked out, never won us a Super Bowl and melted down in SB26. We still love him.

he’s going to be more TO than reed in the memories. He was a hired gun for a short stretch not guy that bled team colors.

doesn’t mean he’s disliked, he’s just a footnote in the family history and not the main story. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he’s going to be more TO than reed in the memories. He was a hired gun for a short stretch not guy that bled team colors.

doesn’t mean he’s disliked, he’s just a footnote in the family history and not the main story. 

Im pretty sure I will not look back upon him fondly

They don't write songs about regular season heros

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Eh, TO never made the playoffs. Diggs was imperative in the creation of Josh Allen. You cant tell the main story of Josh without him.

If TO was ever on a team that had success and was as beloved as the current crew, he'd be a bigger fan favorite.

It's the winning that is the difference, and Diggs was here for winning.

Agreed he wont be a Reed. Until we win a SB, none of the players will be as beloved as the 90s teams.

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Eh, TO never made the playoffs. Diggs was imperative in the creation of Josh Allen. You cant tell the main story of Josh without him.

If TO was ever on a team that had success and was as beloved as the current crew, he'd be a bigger fan favorite.

It's the winning that is the difference, and Diggs was here for winning.

Agreed he wont be a Reed. Until we win a SB, none of the players will be as beloved as the 90s teams.

my hope is that just making the playoffs will also be a footnote when this Allen story is all done.

lets all keep fingers crossed that the last 5 years are the low point and not the high point of the decade. If Allen walks out with 2 rings, and a bunch of iconic moments- an mvp- I don’t think we will be in canton talking about diggs as more than a passing comment. 

if Josh has peeked and has a sudden drop, yea, diggs will occupy more space in the story

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/25/2024 at 11:34 PM, hondo in seattle said:

I got beat up for this thread: told the thread was "garbage," seeing "drama that wasn't there," and so on.  

Apologies aren't necessary, but I am open to redemptive cash donations.  🙂

LOL

Funny though, last year at this time, anyone that could see through the lies and that didn't believe the team narrative that all was just rosy got hammered too.  

😏

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone arguing the opposite after the training camp blow-up last year was just being obstinate.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Anyone arguing the opposite after the training camp blow-up last year was just being obstinate.

Education please: what training camp blow-up was this?

I remember Diggs missing the first day of mandatory minicampOTAs and McDermott saying he's very concerned.

I don't remember a training camp blow up, or any on-field blow up, at all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Education please: what training camp blow-up was this?

I remember Diggs missing the first day of mandatory minicampOTAs and McDermott saying he's very concerned.

I don't remember a training camp blow up, or any on-field blow up, at all.

Apologies - mini-camp blow up. 

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

I think it was homerism combined with confirmation bias.   Fans wanted to believe everything was good.  And then they saw some pic of Diggs and Allen fist-bumping, or whatever, and found that as proof that everything was good.  All the while ignoring the obvious signs that something was rotten in One Bills Drive.

• Like (+1) 1

Going to be interesting to watch this season. Fun loving Josh has a place but can see leadership being called into question it is not enough for the Franchise QB to just be one of the guys. Could have been issue that also bothered a guy like Diggs. Team is going to need Josh to lead them with the amount of roster turnover and keeping guys locked in. Looks like he is trying to make that a point of focus this season.

Edited by billieve420

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

Going to be interesting to watch this season. Fun loving Josh has a place but can see leadership being called into question it is not enough for the Franchise QB to just be one of the guys. Could have been issue that also bothered a guy like Diggs. Team is going to need Josh to lead them with the amount of roster turnover and keeping guys locked in. Looks like he is trying to make that a point of focus this season.

This is a bad journalism in my opinion, Tim Graham later "clarified" and admitted using "implore" is too strong. But I guess he gets his clicks by using "implore" after all.

1 hour ago, syhuang said:

This is a bad journalism in my opinion, Tim Graham later "clarified" and admitted using "implore" is too strong. But I guess he gets his clicks by using "implore" after all.

Yes implore might have been too strong of a word. However, I think the leadership question was something that definitely was up for debate. Allen even admitted to as much in the article that it isn’t the easiest thing for him.

“As a franchise quarterback, guys that get to their second contract, you’re not getting paid just to be the quarterback,” Allen said. You’re getting paid to be the best leader that you can be. The best quarterback, obviously, comes with that. Leadership looks like a lot of different things. You wear many hats in this building.

Sometimes, it’s not the easiest thing. I feel like I’m one of the guys, and sometimes I have to remind myself that you’re looked at a little bit differently. Guys rely on you a little bit more.”

Edited by billieve420

On 4/19/2023 at 6:34 PM, hondo in seattle said:

We all know that Allen and Diggs are/were best friends.  We also all know what happened with Diggs at the end of the last season.

Recently, Allen was asked if his relationship with Diggs was still solid.  He responded, "Absolutely...  Stef's gonng be Stef.  I love the guy. He is one of my favorite people on this planet. He is so fiery, so competitive. He wants the ball in his hands 24/7, and I’m never going to not like a guy like that. He wants what’s best for the team.”

To me, that sounds a lot like coach-speak.  Allen keeps it positive, as he should.  But he never actually says that he and Diggs are still talking, hanging out, playing games together, acting like brothers from different mothers...  And his comment, "I'm never going to dislike a guy like that" came off as a little odd to me.  Who said anything about disliking?  Do you have reasons to dislike Stef that you're overcoming?  

I'm not going to churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques, bawling my eyes out, earnestly praying for divine intervention for them to patch things up.  But I do have some concerns about their relationship this year.  I hope those concerns are wrong.  

Don't give us that garbage Hondo.   You made lots of guesses, that some came out right and some wrong. You deleted your initial post cause hit has so many unproven facts (at the time) you got laughed at off the board and you deleted your original post.   You get a medal for Guessing a couple things right... but there was a whole lot of guessing. Thats all you get.. so keep bumping this thread and enjoy those "guessing medals" on your chest.  At that point during the year NO ONE new facts, so the guessing games you played... well you got what you deserved...

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1

21 hours ago, Einstein said:

Apologies - mini-camp blow up. 

So the "blow up" was him missing the first day, having a meeting with McDermott and others, and either leaving or being told to leave, the building?

8 hours ago, syhuang said:

Yeah some quotes from the story:

He[Allen] has been criticized internally for not separating himself from the other players, for not acting more ennobled.

Bills owner Terry Pegula has implored coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane to coax more of an executive demeanor out of Allen, a transformation that never took last year and likely added to Allen’s rutty play through 10 games.

First of all, I doubt anyone criticized Allen for "not acting more enobled"  Enobled?  Really? What's he supposed to do, demand that the players kneel and swear fealty?  Tell them to sit below the salt?  Tithe part of their salary to him? "Implored" wasn't the only poor choice of words

Recognizing that he's viewed differently by players, sure, and that this gives him more authority in their eyes to say "YOU!  SHUT UP! Shut up and catch the ball!", sure.  Asking him to perhaps be less of a people pleaser, sure.  But "not acting more ennobled"?  That's just a weird choice of language.

Second, since Allen has played at a very high level for 3 years without an "executive demeanor", why would lacking one cause him to have "rutty play" in 2023?  And what the heck is "rutty play"?  

Graham's article makes no sense.

It also, in mourning all the departed leadership in the form of captaincy, Tim Graham does not make note of the fact that two of the remaining players, Dion Dawkins and Reid Ferguson, were captains for the Bills in 2019 and 2020, back when the Bills had 6 or 7 captains and not 8 or 9.

That's probably one reason why Dawkins is quoted as saying

“In the way of taking a hit with leadership roles,” left tackle Dion Dawkins said, “there’s so many guys that have been picking everybody’s brain that everybody is a leader in their own way. From the inside, I don’t want to say it’s not a big deal, but we’re going to be OK regardless.”

Long winded way to say @syhuang I agree, not good journalism.

Edited by Beck Water