Raised from birth to be a QB...

duey

Actually, alot of it CAN be blamed on the father.  He didn't allow his son to make any choices as a kid and the minute he got out from under his dad's thumb he pretty much went nuts and tried to make up for all the repression.  Parenting is a balance and Marv Marinovich completely screwed the pooch on that one.

346531[/snapback]

You know these facts because ????

Kids are already under a lot of athletic pressure from their parents at an age that's way too early IMHO. 

Have you been to a six year old's soccer or t-ball game lately? Our children are not learning how to "play" any more. Just how to "perform".  And there is a huge difference.

No wonder they don't have the coping skills as adults. It saddens me.

346412[/snapback]

It is not just lately, I coached Little League 20 years ago and I was throwing parents off the field.

In fact, when I played in Little League (a little over 20 years ago) :P I remember we won a championship game because parents contested a game. Seems like a pitcher on the other team had pitched maybe 2 or 3 innings more in a week than the rules allowed, so they were disqualified. Parents were hollering and swearing at each other.

Gee, made that trophy SO special. :lol:

Sometimes I think the hardest thing for a father who is also a coach to do is to leave other coaches alone when they're coaching his son.

346542[/snapback]

Whe I coached Little League, three of us were coaches (well a manager and two coaches) and each had a son on the team.

Rule #1 was keep your mouth shut when YOUR son was at the plate, or dropped a ball, was counting daisies in the outfield, etc. It was OK to cheer if they did something well, though. :lol:

346745[/snapback]

Uh, it's pretty well known - since it was in just about every major sports publication (cover story in Sports Illustrated back when the publication was actually respected) on the planet when Todd became the starter at the University of Spoiled Children his freshman year and led the team to the Rose Bowl.

Never had a Big Mac, never watched cartoons, etc...

346745[/snapback]

The Todd Marinovich story has been well-documented:

Marinovich saga fails to go by script; USA Today 2001

"I wake up a lot of times in the middle of night still thinking is there something I should have changed," he said. "I have to take responsibility as a parent, but you can only do the best job you can do. If I had to do it again, I am sure I would do things differently, but I can only be me. It is a heart-breaking experience. I think I probably should have got him into some different areas and not just sports."

-Marv Marinovich, in an article on his SportsLab website