The Bills need worse recievers

Zerovoltz

On 5/7/2024 at 2:19 AM, Rampant Buffalo said:

Let's look at the NFL's dynasty teams. By "dynasty" I mean at least 3 Super Bowl wins with at least some core players overlapping between Super Bowl wins.

1970s. Steelers. 4 Super Bowl wins.

1980s. 49ers. 4 Super Bowl wins.

1990s. Dallas Cowboys. 3 Super Bowl wins.

2001 - 2020. Patriots. 6 Super Bowl wins.

2021 - present. Chiefs. 3 Super Bowl wins and counting.

Now let's look at the receivers and TEs those teams had.

1970s Steelers. Two Hall of Fame WRs.

1980s 49ers. Jerry Rice for the second half of their dynasty.

1990s Cowboys. Michael Irvin (Hall of Fame), plus a Pro Bowl TE (Jay Novacek)

2000s Patriots. Early on, their defense was better than their offense, and I don't recall them having any memorable receivers. But then their offense improved, and they got Rob Gronkowski, a top 3 all time TE. Also Edelman, a very solid WR. And Wes Welker, another good WR.

2021 - present Chiefs. They have Kelce, a top 3 all time TE. Early in their dynasty they had Tyreek Hill, an elite WR. Now they have Rice, a solid #1 WR.

Based on the above, it would appear that if you want to have a dynasty team, you need either a) a Hall of Fame WR, OR b) a top 3 all time TE, plus a solid #1 WR. I completely agree with your idea of trading away Diggs, but I don't want to see the Bills get worse at WR.

Dont forget Randy Moss

I mean, this was the big question heading into the season, could Josh lift everyone up? Did he need elite playmakers or would he suffice with good role players surrounding him. So far he has shown it. Him and Brady are getting the most out of a diverse set of role players and a solid Oline. Man, I hope it continues.

Right now we're the highest scoring O in the league. Use that dead cap next year to fortify the D, but we seem set on O. 

I never thought I'd be saying this, three weeks in....

14 minutes ago, Success said:

Alright.  I was wrong.

No worries.  As you all know...I'm not always right either.  But, gotta brag a little when you are sometimes.  :D

KC 3-0 by the skin of our teeth.  I will of course be rooting for my Chiefs all the way, but I feel like the Bills are unencumbered by internal drama, or over the top expectations...they look loose...look like they are having a lot of fun.  The chemistry is on point.  I won't be surprised KC just runs out of steam in the end.

I think we are seeing the decline of Kelce....Andy's starting to loose his edge...so much off the field stuff going on....it weighs a team down.  And injuries too.  

I hope we can do this three peat thing, but it's never been done before for a reason (many reasons) ...it's F'ing tough.  If it isn't KC...I'll be rooting HARD for the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

On 4/10/2024 at 11:56 PM, Thurman#1 said:

One caveat.

Torell Troup was not a bad draft pick. Read this article. He was starting to really play well at training camp that year, and lots of Bills players were and are very vocal about that.

He injured his back and was advised to use painkillers and keep playing. This article is a harrowing but excellent read:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/torell-troup-the-one-drafted-a-pick-ahead-of-rob-gronkowski/article_5b363410-dbdd-503c-a774-69fedf3d37d7.html

"Through the 2011 lockout, Troup trained with a vengeance. He reported to training camp at a chiseled 319 pounds, eager to break out. Practices began at St. John Fisher and the kid who had 23 tackles and no sacks the year prior was dominant for stretches.

“'Honestly, I was killing the offensive line,' Troup said. 'Eric Wood, I’m good friends with him, but they couldn’t handle me.'

"One day in the lunchroom, head coach Chan Gailey and General Manager Buddy Nix couldn’t contain their excitement. The two asked Troup to sit down with them and told this bull in a china shop they had no clue what he did over the offseason, but, wow, were they ecstatic to see this all transfer to game day.

"Their words added more fuel to Troup’s fire. His tear continued. Teammates today still remember Troup’s raw strength.

"'Low center of gravity,' guard Kraig Urbik said. 'Super strong. Legs were very thick. Strong dude – he was tough to move for sure.'

“'He was a strong dude,' Wood said.

“'Big, powerful guy,' added veteran Kyle Williams. 'He’s probably not your pass rusher, but a guy who could stack things up at the line and make plays at the line of scrimmage and do some good things there.'

... but a bit later ...

"Then, without warning, his world started to crumble down.

"In a one-on-one pass rushing drill against Wood, Troup used a head bob to freeze the center. He smacked Wood with his right arm and Troup’s hand snapped, breaking the bone underneath his right knuckle. Initially, Troup thought he jammed the finger. By the time he reached the trainers he said his hand looked like a baseball glove.

"Troup missed one week of practice, wrapped the paw in a club and was prepared to punctuate his knockout summer in the preseason finale against Detroit. To this day, he cannot pinpoint the play, the moment, but during this game he fractured his lower back.

“'I played all through the game doped up,' he said, 'so I couldn’t feel it.'

"On Wednesday, it felt like he pulled both hamstrings. He received an epidural. Tests later revealed the fracture. A disc in his back was slipping and pushing against nerves, causing burning and numbness down his legs.

"Troup sat out the first three weeks of the season and returned.

“ 'It’s easy to look back now and say, "I should have sat my ass down," ’  Troup said. 'But I was young. I was stupid. And it cost me my career.'

... and still later ...

"When Gronkowski was scoring more touchdowns than any tight end ever in 2011, Troup was, as he said, 'all doped up' on Toradol to survive Sundays. During the week, he chugged pain pills like Tic Tacs. Troup played that season with a fractured back – his disc slipping, jamming into nerves – enduring the most unthinkable pain he doesn’t wish upon his worst enemies.

Teammates told him to quit. Coaches, he claims, told him to play. So he played to the literal point of tears and the subsequent L4/L5 spinal fusion ended his career.

"He’s more casualty of a ruthless business than bust. More commodity chewed up and spit out by the NFL than outright failure. Each creak of a joint in the a.m. is his aching reminder of his season from hell.

“ 'They saw the pain that I was in, man,' Troup said. 'Being who I am, all I wanted to do was do what I was told. I never thought about talking back or saying I don’t want to play. No matter how much pain I was in, if they wanted me to play, I played. It went to where I couldn’t play no more.' ”

That was only about 20 - 30% of the Tyler Dunne article. Hell of an article, and if you don't have a hell of a lot of sympathy for Troup after reading it, you're tougher than I am.

I just discovered this post.  Thanks Thurm.  I never knew this.

You nailed this one.

And not only are the receivers not worrying about stats and glory, Allen isn’t either. He’s throwing checkdowns and outlets that he used to ignore, searching for the hole shot. 

Ironically, the stats pile up this way anyway. And they come way easier. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1