Which slots does position play mean least?

Where will ST play be the big factor?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Where will ST play be the big factor?

• No. 6 WR
    • No. 7 LB
    • No. 8/9 OL
    • No. 4TE/3 FB
    • No: 7/8 DL
    • No. 3 S
    • Other

Folks are asking the question which current Bills are going to get cut, but I think that folks seem to be addressing this question in the wrong way.

Which players makes it or loses it on the final cut has very little to do with their position play but really is deternmined by how they do on ST. If you ever see Mario Haggan or Angelo Crowell doing extended service as position players it simply means bad news for the Bills because for some reason Takeo Spikes or London Fletcher are not able to answer the call,

These two players are valuable Bills because of their ST contribution and that is what got Joe Burns resigned as well.

So my question is for folks to take a bow toward reality and state their opinion on who stays or goes due to ST.

My personal choice is the #6 WR position which is currently occupied by Fast Freddie Smith. He was #5 on the 04 WR depth chart but the drafting of Parrish obviously pushes him down to #6. However, the real threat which Parrish provides to Freddie's roster spot is that he did great punt return duty in college.

However, I still think he sticks as a Bill because:

1. He is behind Clements and likely Parrish as a PR guy, but though MM is quite willing to do it, it is a dicey thing to use a starter as your main PR guy. My guess is that the drafting of Parrish makes us very comfortable using Clements primarily as a CB because we now have two PR guys to pick up the slack. Particularly with Clements in a contract year, having another alternative on PR is a good thing.

2. He did score a TD last year and got off a couple of good returns. Parrish may hit the ground running as opponents will have little film on his return tendencies. However, rookies are rookies and vets are vets and it may take a few games before Parrish up to the PR responsibility or coaches have the confience to put him that role.

3. its tough to teach speed and Fast Freddy has the raw talent to be a threat at this part of the game.

I think the key to whether Smith stays or goes will be his ST play and actually not even his return ability but whether he shows the goods as a gunner on the outside or interior ST tackling ability. He will be competing with Aiken and Reed not at all as position players, and not so much as return guys, but in their ability to get downfield and tackle opponents.

(BUMP) For folks thinking about the fate of Freddie Smith, Mario Haggan and probably even Jason Peters, its gonns be all about ST play as to whether they stick or not.  What do folks think in these football dog-days?

346230[/snapback]

Do not agree with your assesemnt that ONLY ST teams determines this. You cannot , in my estimation, base your backups strictly on teams performance. Now, if you have two players at a backup position that you judge to be fairly equal in terms of ability at their primary position, the guy who has the better teams play stays.

In terms of the guys you mentioned, I have no idea how Haggan stacks up as a LB. My gut tells me that you keep Peters for a couple of reasons. Number one he comes cheap. Number two, it appears that we do not have the Long term answer at LT at the present time. I don't know,maybe Gandy becomes a stud, all I know is that Chicago cut him in the middle of last year. So, keep Peters for a year and "coach em up" as thet say, and maybe he blossoms into your long term answer at LT. And he has shown flashes on ST that he has athletic abilities that at least merit an additional year, even he is inactive for a bunch of games.