Strength through numbers

We now have so many OL players (mostly guards by experience) that it really is beginning to look like a shopping mall on the OL with JMac pushing the cart.

I see the final outcome as 9 or 10 OL players on the active roster or PS.

In the past, the Bills have gone with:

7 (sometimes 8) active OL players on a gameday.

1 (sometimes 0) active OL player who is not available on gameday (often due to injury)

1 or 2 players on the PS who are inactive but Bills players.

Of the 7 available players they will need to be:

1 RT starter

1 RG starter

1 C starter

1 LG starter

1 LT starter

In addition, we will need:

1 LT back-up

1 R/t back-up

(probably the same person as Price occupied this role last year)

1 LG back-up

1 RG back-up

(it was essentially the same person last year as we labeld no back-up for Villarial and the RG switch all around as we sought the right person with Tyucker ending up as the starter and Smith as the back-up)

1 C back-up (again double duty is essential as back-up Tucker went from being the back-up LG/C to being the starting LG. I think the Preston acquistion is actually probably a sign that Tucker will remain as starting LG but I don't know).

At any rate, these are the candidates to chose from and the position we seem to have them slated for:

MW- Starting RT (very likely to start)

Villy- Starting RG (very likely to start)

Teague- Starting C (likely to start cause moving him elsewhere messes chemistry)

Anderson- Starting LG (likely to start due to contract and spoken interest)

Gandy- Starting LT (spoken interest by JMac but mediocre at best for Bears at LT)

Tucker- Back-up G/C (flexibility will likely make him active back-up)

Preston- Back-up C/? (draft position&hope likely gets him on roster but could PS)

Smith- Back-up G/T (LT use behind Price& starting n 04 gives hope but maybe cut)

Geisinger- Swing guy(Draft position gets him on PS likely)

McFarland- Back-up T (Active last year gives hope but probable cut)

Jerman- (Late signing indicates some particular interest but likely camp fodder)

Gundmunsen- (Likely camp fodder swing guy)

Pruce- (Made some noise in NFLE last year as LT but likely camp fodder)

Esposito- (On roster last year but likely camp fodder)

Peters- (Must be on active roster or he will get signed elsewhere)

Sobieski- (Talented guy has remained on roster but likely camp fodder)

Bannan- (Still on the depth chart as a G but DT is his most likely way to make team)

Overall, it really depends on what happens and what happens depends most of all on JMac's teaching ability and somebody stepping up.

Peters is the real wildcard as he probably makes the roster because of his ST rushing skill will translated into a TD last year. If he shows enough ability at LT (which JMac says he can because he is a phenomenal athlete) then he gains a roster spot there and likrly say good bye to Smith/McFarland as back-up Ts. I like JMac but really doubt that Peters is so phenomenal he can be trusted to guard JPs blindside and the injury to Everett and uncertainty regarding ACLs of Euhus/Campbell likely lands Peters in roster as #3 TE.

I also think that JMac/Gandy are really going to have to step up at LT if he is going to merit a starting role there.

At any rate, somone could really step up (Peters/Gandy) or surprise (Preston, Smith, Pruce) and all bets are off.

The upsides and downsides are possible and extremely high.