Bud Adams can take his 5th round pick offer

I wouldn't say that we get a 5th rounder easily if TH left in free agency.  If everything goes to plan, and WM is healthy and plays well, TH doesn't see the field. 

FA compensation is based on the contribution of the FA players that left counterbalanced by the FA players that the team received.  TH would be judged on his last 1-2 yrs in Buffalo.  Based on that, Bills would be lucky to get a watercooler.

345346[/snapback]

See, that's the problem though - nobody (including the NFL) knows exactly how the system works. IF they take only his last two years (assuming he does nothing this year), you'd be right. But if they consider the fact that he's done nothing because WM played and he didn't, but when he did play, he produced, we could easily get a 3rd or 4th for him. Heck, the Broncos got a 3rd for a special teams player who wasn't even that good (according to the !@#$ paper).

I'd rather hold on to him and let the chips fall as they may, unless we get a 3rd. MAYBE a 4th.. But that's stretching it IMHO.

CW

See, that's the problem though - nobody (including the NFL) knows exactly how the system works.  IF they take only his last two years (assuming he does nothing this year), you'd be right.  But if they consider the fact that he's done nothing because WM played and he didn't, but when he did play, he produced, we could easily get a 3rd or 4th for him.  Heck, the Broncos got a 3rd for a special teams player who wasn't even that good (according to the !@#$ paper).

I'd rather hold on to him and let the chips fall as they may, unless we get a 3rd.  MAYBE a 4th..  But that's stretching it IMHO.

CW

345375[/snapback]

Let's not forget the Raiders threw a boat load of cash at Lamont Jordan, who in my opinion is completely unproven as an NFL starting running back. I seriously think that Travis Henry will have a better season than Jordan when he finally hooks up with a new team.

I chuckle at all these posters telling us that Henry isn't worth anything more than a 5th rounder and give other NFL GM's previous crap offers for Henry as proof. NFL GMs routinely make stupid mistakes, some of their biggest blunders are the moves that are never made.

Trades are NOT what a player is worth, they are about percieved value and what a team is willing to give up to get it.

IMHO, Donahoe can get a 3rd rounder for Henry.

345186[/snapback]

A third rounder certainly seems reasonable and that is exactly what TD has been trying to get but the plain fact is that we haven't been able to find a buyer at that price. We may ultimately be able to capitalize on some other team's misfortune like the situation with the Titans. If that doesn't fly, under the current circumstances, I don't think we are going to get that third rounder.

A third rounder certainly seems reasonable and that is exactly what TD has been trying to get but the plain fact is that we haven't been able to find a buyer at that price.  We may ultimately be able to capitalize on some other team's misfortune like the situation with the Titans.  If that doesn't fly, under the current circumstances, I don't think we are going to get that third rounder.

345574[/snapback]

If not then we have a GOOD backup for $1.2 mil this year. I could see a conditional 4th (can move to a 3rd or 2nd depending on #s) for Henry, but a 5th or less and it makes more sense for us to hold on to him, pouting and all.

If not then we have a GOOD backup for $1.2 mil this year.  I could see a conditional 4th (can move to a 3rd or 2nd depending on #s) for Henry, but a 5th or less and it makes more sense for us to hold on to him, pouting and all.

345583[/snapback]

I think that is TD's plan, he has said it all along, unless he gets a 3rd we keep Henry. His $1.2 for the year is only a good deal for the Bills. Any team looking to trade for Henry will want him to sign a new contract. Why trade for a player only to lose him next year?

If not then we have a GOOD backup for $1.2 mil this year.  I could see a conditional 4th (can move to a 3rd or 2nd depending on #s) for Henry, but a 5th or less and it makes more sense for us to hold on to him, pouting and all.

345583[/snapback]

That makes a lot of sense and may be the "bottom line" that TD is using. Either way, it is a win-win situation for the Bills. Personally, I hope we keep him - we cannot get (for his '05 salary) and do not currently have another comparable replacement for WM, if he goes down. And I am not willing to write off '05 as a building year at this point. Too many aging players who lead me to think "now or never."

That makes a lot of sense and may be the "bottom line" that TD is using. Either way, it is a win-win situation for the Bills. Personally, I hope we keep him - we cannot get (for his '05 salary) and do not currently have another comparable replacement for WM, if he goes down. And I am not willing to write off '05 as a building year at this point. Too many aging players who lead me to think "now or never."

347269[/snapback]

I think it is more of a "better than nothing" situation than a "win-win" scenario. I do like having a good back-up for Willis but was hoping that would be one of the off-season RB acquisitions we made. Those guys will have fewer reps to develop with Travis still on the roster but at the same time, I recognize that Travis could be a real nice card to play if our Ace is out. Hopefully, Travis will recognize that it is in his best interests to play well for Buffalo this year to enhance the new contract he gets with whatever new team wants him next year.