Where were you 40 years ago?

Just Jack

40 years ago... I was 8 years old. Probably playing with my Star Wars toys, watching GI Joe and waiting for Return of the Jedi to come out at the local theater. Going outside at 8 am and coming home at 8 pm after spending all day in the woods, building 'forts' and playing Army. Back then, parents would just tell us to get back before dark/dinner. 

I was also probably sneaking a peak at Risky Business and dad's Playboys when my parents weren't around :) 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

40 years ago... I was 8 years old. Probably playing with my Star Wars toys, watching GI Joe and waiting for Return of the Jedi to come out at the local theater. Going outside at 8 am and coming home at 8 pm after spending all day in the woods, building 'forts' and playing Army. Back then, parents would just tell us to get back before dark/dinner. 

I was also probably sneaking a peak at Risky Business and dad's Playboys when my parents weren't around :) 

At 8 years old? Damn I must have been a late Boomer I didn't look at my first Playboy until I was like 12.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/1/2023 at 11:50 AM, Nextmanup said:

I remember this well; it was a big deal at the time.  

Honestly, when I have seen re-runs of MASH in recent years, it really doesn't hold up very well IMO.

Dated television.  It's moved so much further down the road now.

Agree. It became just a lot of smart aleck remarks from Hawkeye or showing the sensitive side of the guys and trying to send a social message to their viewers. Following the lead of All In the Family, network comedies started patronizing their audience with serious message shows.

That was possibly the beginning of when Hollywood started to believe their own press clippings and felt so superior to us, thinking it was their duty to learn us imbeciles a thing or two.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Agree. It became just a lot of smart aleck remarks from Hawkeye or showing the sensitive side of the guys and trying to send a social message to their viewers. Following the lead of All In the Family, network comedies started patronizing their audience with serious message shows.

That was possibly the beginning of when Hollywood started to believe their own press clippings and felt so superior to us, thinking it was their duty to learn us imbeciles a thing or two.

This is a very interesting take. Patronizing is a word I wouldn't have associated with MASH. For me it was an iconic for its time comedy even while set at war...Yes dated to its portrayal of a MASH unit with a bunch of goofball type characters  ...but should a network TV comedy be chastised today due to it not living up to todays much more critical standards.,....Much more serious standards I might add. We all can take what is best for us and leave the rest. Morality and preaching included.

Thank you for writing the bolded.  Hollywood as a whole has clearly been brought down several pegs as far as sexual harassment and how the hierarchy can treat women. How worthy are THEY to try to moralize and preach to us anything right? Right.

m

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.