Bills Inquired about Edinger

Bills | Called About Edinger - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 24 May 2005 19:32:27 -0700

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports the Buffalo Bills were the other team to call agent Ken Harris about PK Paul Edinger, before he signed with the Minnesota Vikings.

Damn! At least Donahoe tried though.

So we tried to get Edinger, Doug Brien, and even tried to trade up for Nugent. Yet there are still people who stand up for Lindell and think he's safe.

I just don't get it.

You'd be surprised how many members i've had to argue with.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=24511

344032[/snapback]

My argument is not that Lindell is that good (he ain't) its that I simply don't see a better alternative available right now or seen much posted besides the typical I hate Lindell and he sucks rants.

Lindell missing a very makeable FG in the game against Jax sucked. Lindell missing a chip shot against Pitts really sucked. A sense that MM has little confidence in Lindell at 45+ is clear. The Bills should certainly get a kicker who handles the FG game, AND handles the KO game and even handles the onside kick game well.

However, I have yet to see anyone seriously advocate that an available player can credibly do all three.

There was not an unreasonable case made for Nugent because he is so good at long distance FGs and has a great leg that should give us some TBs until he gets enough experience as a pro and experience to learn the winds of the Ralph to directional kick as needed. However, drafting him where he was likely to be taken appeared to be a reach and reality made that true when the Jets spent a high draft pick for a kicker.

By all means replace Lindell if there is a better choice, but you and others have yet to make a convincing case for any available player. You did argue for Edinger but he ain't available and the other suggestions you made seem marginal ones.

What is the case for the coverage unit producing the same results with Payne. Novick or the other availble kickers that the Bills produced with Lindell. Lindell sucks at placekicking but a good case has not been made.

Bills | Called About Edinger - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 24 May 2005 19:32:27 -0700

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports the Buffalo Bills were the other team to call agent Ken Harris about PK Paul Edinger, before he signed with the Minnesota Vikings.

Damn! At least Donahoe tried though.

So we tried to get Edinger, Doug Brien, and even tried to trade up for Nugent. Yet there are still people who stand up for Lindell and think he's safe.

I just don't get it.

344025[/snapback]

I had assumed that Edinger was a reasoable alternative given your interest in him, but I just saw apost from Mark VI that cited the following:

- in his last 24 games in Chicago, he hit just 25 of 43 attempts. Last season, he converted just 15 of 24 kicks. His nine misses were a league high and the 62.5 percent conversion rate was the poorest of his career.

I guess anyone who got cut in favir of Doug Brien isn't much to write home about.

The situation remains the sameeverybody knows Lindell sucks but who do you want to make a case for who is better. Beyond folks making te claim that anyone is better than Lindell (a case not merited based on the performance of the Bills KO team and the fact it produced with Lindell kicking) there just seems to be no indication that anyone can demonstrate of who the kicker is they think we should get. Jake Ariens anyone?

344025[/snapback]

If we can get somebody who is a actual upgrade then I'm all for it. Edinger and Brien aren't exactly upgrades. We missed on the rook because he was drafted before we picked. I never heard of anybody trading up for a kicker.

I never heard of anybody trading up for a kicker.

344148[/snapback]

The Raiders did to get Janikowski in the first round, because they thought Minnesota was going to take him. But the Minnesota folk reportedly stated afterwards that there was no way they were going to pick a kicker that high.

Oops, I guess 0:)

Disclaimer: I think it was Minnesota, I may be wrong on that.

344025[/snapback]

I don't know many people that stand up for Lindell. Actually, I don't know many people who stand up for Donahoe's handling of the PK position. I think Donahoe is great, with the exception of his kicking neglect.

The Raiders did to get Janikowski in the first round, because they thought Minnesota was going to take him. But the Minnesota folk reportedly stated afterwards that there was no way they were going to pick a kicker that high.

Oops, I guess  0:)

Disclaimer: I think it was Minnesota, I may be wrong on that.

344217[/snapback]

They Raiders never traded up to get Janikowski.

Opps I guess :angry:

Disclaimer: Facts suck

I don't know many people that stand up for Lindell. Actually, I don't know many people who stand up for Donahoe's handling of the PK position. I think Donahoe is great, with the exception of his kicking neglect.

344229[/snapback]

Todd,

TD's mantra has always been there are kickers a dime a dozen in the NFL.

Of course he then went out and signing a RFA from seattle who chose to

not match his offer....At least he tried.

My problem with Lindell is not that he does not make the FGs...More so

he looks like another Drew, who fails to show any kind of intensity/energy on the

field during game day. Christie was always pumped up and you could

see that on his face during kickoffs or during FG attempts...I just cannot

see that intensity on his face...

My problem with Lindell is not that he does not make the FGs...More so

he looks like another Drew, who fails to show any kind of intensity/energy on the

field during game day.  Christie was always pumped up and you could

see that on his face during kickoffs or during FG attempts...I just cannot

see that intensity on his face...

344334[/snapback]

I wouldn't care if he had the facial expression of an android as long as he could make 28-yarders with the season on the line.

I wouldn't care if he had the facial expression of an android as long as he could make 28-yarders with the season on the line.

344399[/snapback]

I also could not care much less how a specific player looks or acts on game day. A TEAN needs to have all sorts of different types of leadership styles because different players respond to different types of leadership styles positively at different times. The good teams find the right space where different players step in and say just the right thing at the right time.

Sometimes, the right thing is a leader like a Darryl Talley who is vocal and intense. His singular focus on the game and intensity strikes me as something like what the poster finds fault in Lindell for not having.

However, one of my favorite NFL stories is the one where it was down to crunch time for the 49ers and the results of the next series of plays would make or break their season. Players went into the huddle intense and revved up and actually a bit too pumped which is when mistakes often happen.

The group turned to Joe Montana for inspirational leadership because their individual game actions would make or break the season. Montana looked around at the group and said. Hey, look at that guy sitting in the endzone about 6 rows up. Isn't that John Candy? Boy, I love his films.

The huddle laughed. He then called the play like they did this well all the time because they did and the 9ers executed well.

Sometimes a rah-rah guy is just what you need, but other times a rah-rah guy is a pain in the neck. The best TEAMs not only have a bunch of types, but the winners know instinctively when its time for a vocal rooter like a Daryl Talley, a take charge leader like a Jim Kelly, a cerebral hitman like a Steve Tasker, or an individual like a Bruce Smith to step up on his own and lead by example.

The folks who read meaning and diagnosed intent or effect on the team from Travis Henry's quiet scowl last year actually say a lot more with accuracy about themselves and what the hold to be important than they do about what motivates a player like Henry or his impacts on the team.

Reading the tea leaves of Lindell's attitude based on a reading of his facial expression strikes me as the same flight of fancy.