Minor KFFL Bills blurbs

Wait a minute smartypants....

Isn't McNally the same guy who had the overmatched Pucillo and then Lawrence Smith start last season as our first two options at Left Guard?

It took his third choice (Tucker) to help solidify the position.

If he is always... oh so right.... why wasn't Tucker(or for that matter a street free agent brought in to man the position?

343490[/snapback]

Pucillo was never a McNally guy. He inherited him, and now he's on the scrap heap. Pucillo's days as a Bill are over. Let's not forget, by midseason, the line under mcnally was playing the best our line has played in YEARS. And that was with Bledsoe back there. Lawrence smith played pretty darn well for an UFA. He played better under McNally than he did as a Raven.

We're also forgetting about Dylan McFarland. If you think he has no shot because he was a 7th round pick, take a look at what the Pats have done.

Nobody, NOBODY on this board has 1/100th of McNally's knowledge of line play and personnel. Yet so many people seem to think they know better. It's odd.

Well, how about this: 

At least Shelton (a former #1 pick who played adequately before his ankle injury) had a team to be cut from...unlike Gandy who was a street FA (with just as many question marks about durablity) and who's best position is Guard. 

TT is probably as good as Shelton, hence the Bills lack of interest in LJ.  However, moving him to OT means disrupting two positions on the line, rather than one.  I'd rather have TT making the line calls with a rookie QB than I would Tucker, who'll essentially be a rookie at the position as well.

343451[/snapback]

Tucker is not a rookie at the position and played quite well in Teague's absence last year.....some might say he played even better.....

I think the in the end the Duke will be manning that position very shortly though

Pucillo was never a McNally guy. He inherited him, and now he's on the scrap heap. Pucillo's days as a Bill are over. Let's not forget, by midseason, the line under mcnally was playing the best our line has played in YEARS. And that was with Bledsoe back there.  Lawrence smith played pretty darn well for an UFA. He played better under McNally than he did as a Raven.

343890[/snapback]

how does that change the fact that neither guy was a better choice then tucker for the position? it doesn't matter who he inherited -- he thought pucillo and then smith were better then tucker, and in both cases he was wrong......

the guy does make mistakes......questioning the inaction on shelton is perfectly acceptable and your defense of "mcnally doesn't like him so he sucks" holds no water because mcnally has proven he is not faultless........

Well, how about this: 

At least Shelton (a former #1 pick who played adequately before his ankle injury) had a team to be cut from...unlike Gandy who was a street FA (with just as many question marks about durablity) and who's best position is Guard. 

TT is probably as good as Shelton, hence the Bills lack of interest in LJ.  However, moving him to OT means disrupting two positions on the line, rather than one.  I'd rather have TT making the line calls with a rookie QB than I would Tucker, who'll essentially be a rookie at the position as well.

343451[/snapback]

Actually, Gandy was a third-round pick for the Bears in 2002.... 68th overall, or 27 spots ahead of Jonas Jennings. As for Tucker, don't forget he started four games at C last year while Teague was hurt, including the Bills' first two Ws of the season.

Why do some people here think our line was "good" last year?

CMP ATT YD YPA TD INT ATT YD YPA TD YD

262 461 3032 6.58 21 17 483 1874 3.88 15 4906

NFL rank - 27 27 27 22 18 18 9 12 24 12 24

ranking 24th in yards per attempt in rushing is a tell tale sign of a line that is not good. Now I don't know how many sacks we gave up last year i assume it was at 40 giving up a sack once every 11.5 pass attempts probably isn't all that good either.

While we improved later in the season giving up fewer sacks. Our line gets no drive on run blocking. Most of the yards after contact were made by mcgahee. You can't really appreciate how good Willis was unless you watch him bounce off defenders like bowling balls. The fact he averaged 4 yards a carry to me is amazing.

Right now there are 2 glaring needs that are keeping us from going to that next level an oline and a kicker, and until we get those things. We can bring in all those skill position players you want but we'll still end up as nothing more than an average team.

I have faith in Mcnally but I won't be fooled into thinking our line was or is "good"

Yes but again, those have been at the more demanding CB position.  Rod Woodson had injury problems his last few years at CB and everyone thought he was done, switched to S and played for several more years.

343494[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is advocating cutting Vincent or anything. All we are saying is that given his age and accumulated injuries, it makes sense to have a quality back up and I don't think that is what we have. Wire just hasn't worked out and Baker is a reach and at least for now, isn't ready to start. That makes us thin at safety so it just makes sense to pick one up if we can. Even if you think Vincent is invulnerable, the point still holds.

CMP  ATT  YD    YPA  TD INT      ATT  YD    YPA  TD    YD 

262  461  3032  6.58  21  17      483  1874  3.88  15  4906

NFL rank -  27  27  27    22    18  18        9  12      24  12    24

ranking 24th in yards per attempt in rushing is a tell tale sign of a line that is not good.  Now I don't know how many sacks we gave up last year i assume it was at 40 giving up a sack  once every 11.5 pass attempts probably isn't all that good either.

While we improved later in the season giving up fewer sacks. Our line gets no drive on run blocking. Most of the yards after contact were made by mcgahee. You can't really appreciate how good Willis was unless you watch him bounce off defenders like bowling balls. The fact he averaged 4 yards a carry to me is amazing. 

Right now there are 2 glaring needs that are keeping us from going to that next level an oline and a kicker, and until we get those things. We can bring in all those skill position players you want but we'll still end up as nothing more than an average team.

I have faith in Mcnally but I won't be fooled into thinking our line was or is "good"

344074[/snapback]

Amen

CMP  ATT  YD    YPA  TD INT      ATT  YD    YPA  TD    YD 

262  461  3032  6.58  21  17      483  1874  3.88  15  4906

NFL rank -  27  27  27    22    18  18        9  12      24  12    24

ranking 24th in yards per attempt in rushing is a tell tale sign of a line that is not good.  Now I don't know how many sacks we gave up last year i assume it was at 40 giving up a sack  once every 11.5 pass attempts probably isn't all that good either.

344074[/snapback]

We had only 38 sacks. Of course 24 came in the 5 games Travis was the starting running back. 14 in the 11 games WIllis started. I belive that was the breakdown. So one player can make a huge difference there.

Pucillo was never a McNally guy. He inherited him, and now he's on the scrap heap. Pucillo's days as a Bill are over. Let's not forget, by midseason, the line under mcnally was playing the best our line has played in YEARS. And that was with Bledsoe back there.  Lawrence smith played pretty darn well for an UFA. He played better under McNally than he did as a Raven.

343890[/snapback]

Isn't Pucillo already a FA...I thought the Bills chose to not resign him

If he wasn't a McNally guy to some degree why did he even make the team last year and why is he even on the roster now?

Sorry....your logic is lame.

344073[/snapback]

He's NOT on the roster now, and hasn't been since the end of the season - he was a restricted FA who the Bills declined to tender a 2005 contract.

And what backup OG other than Pucillo would you rather have kept last August? Richard Seals? Jasen Esposito?

It's not like the Bills had 12 guards in camp. (OTs, maybe, but not guards.)