OT: Road Trip - Going to Denver

So I'm off to Denver next week for 5 days. Was wondering if anyone could suggest some good places to eat, or some things to see. I've already got my Rockies tix (Going to see the ballpark, not the team), and I'm thinking about six flags for a day. Anyone help me out?

So I'm off to Denver next week for 5 days. Was wondering if anyone could suggest some good places to eat, or some things to see. I've already got my Rockies tix (Going to see the ballpark, not the team), and I'm thinking about six flags for a day. Anyone help me out?

343173[/snapback]

The LoDo area is full of great places to eat. For good eats close to the stadium try the Denver Chop House. For good food and a good tap selection (their own), try the Wynkoop Brewery, or for bar food and a huge tap selection, try the Falling Rock Tap House. Lots of small chain eateries also (Rock Bottom, Fado's, etc...) that you won't find in every city.

Beers I recommend trying are Fat Tire (common out west, but tough to find in the east) and anything out of the Big Sky Brewing Co., in particular "Moose Drool." TommyKnocker, New Belgium (which I believe makes Fat Tire) and Breckenridge Breweries also have out some decent micros.

For things to see. Denver's Museum of Natural History is fantastic if you like dinosaurs. They also have an Imax. Check to see if anything is going on at the Red Rocks ampitheatre. There's the Pike's Peak cog railroad, or check out Boulder. Down in CO Springs the chapel at the Air Force Academy is extremely cool if you're into architecture.

The city of Denver itself is a mass of sprawl, so I usually head into the mountains, however it's mud season out there. However, take a drive out I-70 to check out the mountains, the Eisenhower Tunnel and have lunch in Frisco, Dillon, or Breckenridge. Some stuff should still be open. Also some scenic things of the highway. I think Buffalo Bill's grave ??? and Big Horn Sheep Park???. Never stopped at any of them.

A-Basin is still open for skiing, but bring your oxygen tank and I've heard they've had issues with their snowpack lately.

343173[/snapback]

Been out there once before...going to the Coors brewery is a must if you are truly a man...take a tour and then take in all the free samples :w00t:...also the denver mint is an interesting place to spend a few hours...also pikes peak is great as well, but remember, the air is awfully thin near the peak...

Downtown Denver has something I've never seen anywhere before, and I highly recommend it.

Diamond Cabaret and Steakhouse.

It's a four-star steakhouse...and I truly mean it's worth every star, as I've eaten there a half dozen times, and every meal was outstanding. But it's also a strip club. Strangest thing I've ever seen, but at the end of the day it makes pretty good sense. Beer. Steak. Naked chicks. The restaurant is separate from the strip club, sorta, but they have a dancing pole in the middle of the restaurant and the strippers take turns dancing quietly while you eat.

Seriously. Worth the trip.

I also recommend you track down the Buckhorn Exchange...get their buffalo burger and a side of baked beans; the absolute BEST baked beans anywhere, and the oldest restaurant in Denver.

LoDo is cool for hanging out, but if you're out to track down chicks who think they're hot and dress accordingly, I recommend going to Ya-Yas for cocktails one night. It used to be that Thursday night at YaYas was the unconfirmed "Single Chicks Looking for Dicks" night. Not sure if that's still the case.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Someone mentioned Fat Tire beer. One of the finest beers I've ever enjoyed. Make a note to help yourself accordingly.

EDITOR'S NOTE II: While Ramius is usually right about a lot of things, I would recommend that if you do visit the Coors factory you find the special room where the beer is made. You'll know it right away as it is basically a room full of Oompa Loompas pissing into a trough that leads to a bottling machine.

Down in CO Springs the chapel at the Air Force Academy is extremely cool if you're into architecture.

343291[/snapback]

That's actually why I'm headed there. A civilian friend of mine is marrying her High School sweetheart, and a few days later he's graduating and getting assignment, so its an exciting few days for them. I figured I might as well make a trip of it if I'm going to go out there. Can't wait to see the academy.

I would recommend that if you do visit the Coors factory you find the special room where the beer is made. You'll know it right away as it is basically a room full of Oompa Loompas pissing into a trough that leads to a bottling machine.

343328[/snapback]

:w00t::doh:

That's actually why I'm headed there. A civilian friend of mine is marrying her High School sweetheart, and a few days later he's graduating and getting assignment, so its an exciting few days for them. I figured I might as well make a trip of it if I'm going to go out there. Can't wait to see the academy.

343346[/snapback]

If you're out there for the actual graduation ceremony, the Thunderbirds usually put on a demo.

take a swing by Golden while you're out here. as mentioned, the Coors tour is pretty good, and Buffalo Bill's Grave and Museum on Lookout Mountain is a simple 15 min drive (take 19th street towards the mountains). excellent viewpoint up there of golden and denver metro. the two '14er' roads aren't open yet (mt evans, pikes peak) but Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain IS open so if you're looking for alpine adventure without travelling far from your car that is an excellent option to consider. have fun, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Seen them before, and they are awesome. My old roomie is USAF, and his dad is only a Colonel, but his uncle is **** General. He used to fly the Thunderbirds. Much respect for him.

Seen them before, and they are awesome. My old roomie is USAF, and his dad is only a Colonel, but his uncle is **** General. He used to fly the Thunderbirds. Much respect for him.

343367[/snapback]

Only a colonel?!! It's pretty damn tough to attain that rank. Our base commander and my unit commander were full bird colonels when I was stationed in Germany. Not very many make it that far.

Only a colonel?!!  It's pretty damn tough to attain that rank.  Our base commander and my unit commander were full bird colonels when I was stationed in Germany.  Not very many make it that far.

343374[/snapback]

I meant that in contrast to his uncle, the General. I have nothing but Respect for the two. By the way, Gen. Newton was a pilot, and his call sign was Fig. :w00t:

Authentic Buffalo pizza & wings

definitely check out Luciano's - real B-lo cuisine in downtown Denver.....probably the best wings in the West

343380[/snapback]

Cool. I have lived in Littleton/Centennial for almost 6 years now and never knew about this place. I will second whoever mentioned Red Rocks, as it is even worth going to (for free) in the daytime just to check it out. I don't know if they were mentioned, but Garden of the Gods and Cave of the Winds down in Co Springs are both worth the time. I will also agree with the person who suggested Buffalo Bills Grave/Lookout Mountain. They are just at the edge of Golden so you don't have to go far into the mountains and get a great overlook down onto Golden and the metro area. Then, hit the Coors Brewery for a free tour nearby. Best part is the free samples at the end - just avoid the regular Coors/Coors Light :-) And yes,

a Rockies game is indeed worth it just for the stadium itself. I like sitting up in right field for an evening game. You have the skyscrapers to your left and the mountains out to your right. The field is in Lodo so you hit some good pubs right after.

I like sitting up in right field for an evening game.  You have the skyscrapers to your left and the mountains out to your right.  The field is in Lodo so you hit some good pubs right after.

343594[/snapback]

Thank You!! That's the insider information I was looking for. I'll make sure I sit in RF.