Shelton is getting lots of attention

Guess it depends on who you believe.

http://www.insiderfbg.com/pws/mp.asp?ID=+2069762905

Bills LT Jonas Jennings to the 49ers

The 49ers were desperate for a left tackle, so they overpaid for Jennings in a big way. Jennings is a good player, but he's by no means a premier left tackle. In fact, some still think he's a better guard. That said, it's a big hit for the Bills, who do not have a quality backup ready to step in. They are trying to make a deal to get L.J. Shelton from the Cardinals, but that hasn't happened yet. There's also talk of moving Trey Teague from center to tackle. If they get Shelton, Jennings won't be missed. They're on the same level. If they move Teague out, they could have some trouble inside.

Hmmm. Believe one opinion from someone NOT in the NFL, or the 31 clubs who wouldn't trade a draft pick for Shelton, considering he is allegedly as good as Jennings but would have cost half as much? I'll be surprised if Shelton breaks $2M a year average on his new deal with his new team.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.  Believe one opinion from someone NOT in the NFL, or the 31 clubs who wouldn't trade a draft pick for Shelton, considering he is allegedly as good as Jennings but would have cost half as much?  I'll be surprised if Shelton breaks $2M a year average on his new deal with his new team.

343967[/snapback]

Yup and the same 31 who would only trade a 6th rounder for travis while everyone here says he should get a 1st or 2nd rounder.

BTW, Chico did offer a 5th this year and a 2nd in next years draft prior to them signing someone. Who they have now moved to guard and are trying to sign Shelton. Green said no as he wanted the higher draft pick this year. And Chicago said no later when they signed someone. Green screwed the pooch there.

That is more then was ever offered for Travis.

BTW some real stats.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/player...=5543&Submit=Go

Jennings in 52 starts has had 13.5 sacks allowed and 26 penalties.

Jennings made a mistake resulting in yards lost every .76 games.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/player...=4670&Submit=Go

Shelton prior to this year was a LT. In 82 games he gave up 30 sacks and had 23 penalties.

Shelton once every .63 games

BTW, Chico did offer a 5th this year and a 2nd in next years draft prior to them signing someone.  Who they have now moved to guard and are trying to sign Shelton.  Green said no as he wanted the higher draft pick this year.  And Chicago said no later when they signed someone.  Green screwed the pooch there.

343969[/snapback]

so no one offered the 1st that you predicted they would?

sorry man, after that assessment you made on his trade value i don't know why anyone should trust your prognasticating skills........you say he'll get more then his previous contract, and i say your wrong again......he'll get less them 3M in terms of first year cap number.......roster bonus? we both know if he does get one set up for next year it will be dummy money, in that he'll be cut before he sees it or he'll have to rip it up and sign a new deal...........

Yup and the same 31 who would only trade a 6th rounder for travis while everyone here says he should get a 1st or 2nd rounder. 

BTW, Chico did offer a 5th this year and a 2nd in next years draft prior to them signing someone.  Who they have now moved to guard and are trying to sign Shelton.  Green said no as he wanted the higher draft pick this year.  And Chicago said no later when they signed someone.  Green screwed the pooch there.

That is more then was ever offered for Travis.

You have any links for that Chicago deal? I seriously doubt the Cards would have left a 2006 2nd rounder on the table for a guy they were going to cut anyway. And the Cards WERE going to trade Shelton and swap 2nd's for Henry, so that right there tells me something more than a purported trade that seems highly unlikely.

BTW some real stats.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/player...=5543&Submit=Go

Jennings in 52 starts has had 13.5 sacks allowed and 26 penalties.

Jennings made a mistake resulting in yards lost every .76 games.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/player...=4670&Submit=Go

Shelton prior to this year was a LT. In 82 games he gave up 30 sacks and had 23 penalties.

Shelton once every .63 games

We went over this. Sacks are FAR worse to give up, because it not only involves a loss of yardage, it also always involves your QB getting hit and a loss of down. Shelton gave-up 42% more sacks than did Jennings. That's not good.

You have any links for that Chicago deal?  I seriously doubt the Cards would have left a 2006 2nd rounder on the table for a guy they were going to cut anyway.  And the Cards WERE going to trade Shelton and swap 2nd's for Henry, so that right there tells me something more than a purported trade that seems highly unlikely.

We went over this.  Sacks are FAR worse to give up, because it not only involves a loss of yardage, it also always involves your QB getting hit and a loss of down.  Shelton gave-up 42% more sacks than did Jennings.  That's not good.

343985[/snapback]

In your opinion. Either way it hurt your team, and we can disagree on whether a sack hurts more or not. Either way we don't have Jennings and Shelton is better then anyone on our roster.

Secondly a 2nd next year and a 5th in this years draft is closer to a first then a 6th rounder was for Travis.

And in my opinion a 2nd and a 5th is roughly equivelant to a late first.

In your opinion.  Either way it hurt your team, and we can disagree on whether a sack hurts more or not.  Either way we don't have Jennings and Shelton is better then anyone on our roster.

That remains to be seen. And I doubt you'd find many people who would agree with you that a sack, 30 of them no less, is worse than a holding penalty, much less a false start penalty (which made up the majority of penalties for both).

Secondly a 2nd next year and a 5th in this years draft is closer to a first then a 6th rounder was for Travis. 

And in my opinion a 2nd and a 5th is roughly equivelant to a late first.

True, IF that was really offered. Again I seriously doubt it was, because the Cards could have taken that 2nd next year and traded it for a 3rd THIS year, seeing as how they wanted picks THIS year. And if they refused such a deal, they are idiots and thus couldn't appreciate Travis' worth. And again, it was Travis for Shelton and a swap of 2nd's which is worth a early 4th round pick, which is MUCH higher than a 6th round pick. But in the end, the Bills might end up getting a 3rd rounder for Travis, maybe even a 2nd. We'll have to wait and see.

Uh, where is Walter Jones???  A notable oversight don't you think?

Also, Turley in front of Runyan is laughable.  This list is no better than getting the results of a figure skating contest.  Pure speculation and opinion.

343884[/snapback]

Not only what you said, but Brandon Gorin is the starting tackle for the Super Bowl "dynasty" champions. I have a hard time believing he is #60.

Yeah, this is a great set of rankings!

Texans | Shelton in Town for a Visit - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 25 May 2005 17:28:13 -0700

Updating earlier stories, the Associated Press reports free agent OT L.J. Shelton (Cardinals) began a two-day visit with the Houston Texans Wednesday, May 25. If signed, Shelton probably will replace OT Seth Wand as the starting left tackle. "We'll go through the process of evaluating him and figuring out how he might fit in," Texans head coach Dom Capers said. "I can't tell you why he's available right now. But when there's a guy that has athletic ability, we're going to look into it."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/foot.../25/roundup.ap/

"We'll go through the process of evaluating him...," Texans head coach Dom Capers said. "I can't tell you why he's available right now..."

345044[/snapback]

Maybe you can't tell us why he's available now because you haven't had your docs evaluate him yet? Think that's a possibility, DOM?

If he was that valuable a commodity, he'd have been signed by now. That much I know is true.

Well, here's the OT rankings by Scouts Inc. from the ESPN site.  Shelton's ranked 51st, while JJ is 13th.  Quite a gap.  (BTW, for all the folks down on MW, he's ranked 18th)

1 Jonathan Ogden OT    BAL -- 97

2 Orlando Pace OT STL -- 96

3 Flozell Adams OT DAL -- 88

4 Jordan Gross OT CAR -- 85

5 Willie Roaf OT KC  83

6 Chris Samuels OT WAS    83

7 John Tait OT CHI -- 80

8 Bryant McKinnie OT MIN -- 79

9 Tarik Glenn OT IND D 78

10 Levi Jones OT CIN -- 77

11 Kyle Turley OT STL -- 77

12 Tra Thomas OT PHI -- 76

13 Jonas Jennings OT SF D 76

14 Maurice Williams OT JAC -- 76

15 Jeff Backus OT DET -- 75

16 Jon Runyan OT PHI -- 75

17 Jon Jansen OT WAS -- 75

18 Mike Williams OT BUF -- 74

19 Willie Anderson OT CIN -- 74

20 Chad Clifton OT GNB -- 74

21 Brad Hopkins OT TEN AD 74

22 Luke Petitgout OT NYG I 74

23 Todd Weiner OT ATL -- 73

24 Stockar McDougle OT MIA -- 73

25 Matt Light OT NE -- 73

26 Wayne Gandy OT NO -- 73

27 Jason Fabini OT NYJ -- 73

28 Fred Miller OT CHI A 72

29 Ryan Tucker OT CLE -- 72

30 Matt Lepsis OT DEN -- 72

31 Mark Tauscher OT GNB -- 72

32 Ryan Diem OT IND -- 72

33 Langston Walker OT OAK -- 72

34 Wade Smith OT MIA -- 72

35 Todd Wade OT HOU -- 72

36 Chris Bober OT KC -- 71

37 Marvel Smith OT PIT -- 71

38 Todd Steussie OT TB A 71

39 Kevin Shaffer OT ATL -- 70

40 Mike Rosenthal OT MIN -- 70

41 Scott Gragg OT SF A 70

42 Chris Terry OT SEA C 70

43 Derrick Deese OT TB A 70

44 Mike Pearson OT JAC B 70

45 Chester Pitts OT HOU -- 70

46 Kurt Vollers OT DAL -- 69

47 Damion McIntosh OT MIA I 69

48 Kareem McKenzie OT NYG -- 69

49 Bob Whitfield OT NYG AID 69

50 Ian Allen OT PHI -- 69

51 L.J. Shelton OT ARI -- 69

52 Kwame Harris OT SF Y 69

53 Adam Meadows OT CAR D 69

54 Orlando Brown OT BAL A 69

55 Victor Riley OT HOU -- 69

56 Qasim Mitchell OT CHI -- 68

57 Anthony Clement OT DEN -- 68

58 George Foster OT DEN DY 68

59 Rosevelt Colvin OT NE ID 68

60 Brandon Gorin OT NE -- 68

61 Kenyatta Walker OT TB D 68

62 Ephraim Salaam OT JAC B 68

343282[/snapback]

reading this and having a pretty good idea of the market for LTs, it would appear that at least according to scouts (no slouch, by the way), that jennings was worth the money he got.

Left town without a contract, appararently:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texans | Shelton Enjoys Visit - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 26 May 2005 14:43:25 -0700

The Associated Press reports free agent OT L.J. Shelton (Cardinals) wrapped up a two-day visit with the Houston Texans on Thursday, May 26.

"This is a great organization," Shelton said during a tour of the Texans' facilities. "I like what I see so far. I have to weigh all my options. I'm kind of waiting to see what happens."

Shelton went through an almost hour-long workout Thursday morning, then spent the rest of the day visiting with team officials and doctors.

Left town without a contract, appararently:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texans | Shelton Enjoys Visit - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 26 May 2005 14:43:25 -0700

The Associated Press reports free agent OT L.J. Shelton (Cardinals) wrapped up a two-day visit with the Houston Texans on Thursday, May 26.

"This is a great organization," Shelton said during a tour of the Texans' facilities. "I like what I see so far. I have to weigh all my options. I'm kind of waiting to see what happens."

Shelton went through an almost hour-long workout Thursday morning, then spent the rest of the day visiting with team officials and doctors.

And the Texans were allegedly going to go hard after him. It means he's asking too much money (I'd figure around what he was scheduled to make) and/or the Texans weren't all that impressed after meeting him.

This whole argument makes no sense. The simple fact is, the Bills don't want him. He came in, worked out, talked to the coaches, and was dismissed. Plain and simple.

Who cares what he gets now? It's not like the Bills are missing out on something now.

And the Texans were allegedly going to go hard after him.  It means he's asking too much money (I'd figure around what he was scheduled to make) and/or the Texans weren't all that impressed after meeting him.

346074[/snapback]

or he's just curious what KC (his next stop), JAX (a rumoured stop), or potentially other unnamed suitors have to offer and would rather hear them out before committing to anyone......let's not forget he also stopped in chicago before houston -- that is also still a possibility........

i wouldn't assume just because he left there isn't mutual interest or that his demands were too high for their liking.......he's shopping himself around and keeping his options open.......

It's not like the Bills are missing out on something now.

346159[/snapback]

that remains to be seen........

the bills also "dismissed" pete kendall last off-season, and he went on to have a great year with a division rival while we had a revolving door at LG.........

that remains to be seen........

the bills also "dismissed" pete kendall last off-season, and he went on to have a great year with a division rival while we had a revolving door at LG.........

346171[/snapback]

I'll rephrase...

It's not like they are missing out on something they want but can't get.

I'll admit I did, and still do, think that a Travis for Shelton trade would have been a good move. But I'm also smart enough to know that I have no real clue about what's up with Shelton right now. I'm not a bow down and kiss McNally's butt kind of guy, but I will trust him, and the other coaches, on this one. At least until Shelton proves them wrong on the field this year.

This whole argument makes no sense.  The simple fact is, the Bills don't want him.  He came in, worked out, talked to the coaches, and was dismissed.  Plain and simple.

Who cares what he gets now?  It's not like the Bills are missing out on something now.

346159[/snapback]

He was dismissed at $3 million per season. Now if he only cost $1-$1.5 million, that might be another story...which is why we should continue to follow it until he signs somewhere.

or he's just curious what KC (his next stop), JAX (a rumoured stop), or potentially other unnamed suitors have to offer and would rather hear them out before committing to anyone......let's not forget he also stopped in chicago before houston -- that is also still a possibility........

i wouldn't assume just because he left there isn't mutual interest or that his demands were too high for their liking.......he's shopping himself around and keeping his options open.......

True. We'll see how it all shakes out, but I still say he doesn't get over $2M a year.

True.  We'll see how it all shakes out, but I still say he doesn't get over $2M a year.

346564[/snapback]

i agree.......i don't think he'll get over 2M either, but i think whatever he does get will come from houston......him leaving town doesn't mean much as far as i'm concerned........he's just doing the smart thing and keeping his options open........