Shelton is getting lots of attention

We may not be able to afford him even if we wanted him. He may wind up making more then the 3 million per that he was going to get.

He is getting looks from Chi, Jax, KC, and Hous.

L.J. Shelton - T - ARZ

Free agent tackle L.J. Shelton visited the Bears on Monday.

He will get a nice contract shortly. He flies to Kansas City, Jacksonville, and Houston later this week. The Texans have the greatest need of the group. May. 23 - 7:42 pm et

Seth Wand - T - HOU

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports the Texans have moved Seth Wand to guard during their recent on-field drills.

If Wand is moving to guard, it's uncertain who will be the team's starting left tackle. Look for the Texans to go hard after free agent tackle L.J. Shelton. May. 23 - 7:44 pm et

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no way he gets more then the 3M per he was scheduled to pick up.........

343185[/snapback]

It's kind of late in the FA game, and that will hurt him. But many folks have rated him in the Jennings range as a 2nd-3rd tier LT. Which is he even get's half of what Jonas does, and probably deserves he is going to make over 3 million per. Now the contract will have to be roster bonuses probably for next year as most teams will have their caps pretty much close to the limit at this point.

Why would any team give him more than $3M a year, when they could have traded a late pick and gotten him for that amount with NO signing bonus? And the market and draft were weak for LT's, unlike what it was for RB's. I just don't see him making more than $2M a year, despite the interest of a few teams (the Bills not being one of them, as has been mentioned).

This just in........

The Buffalo Bills are not interested in Shelton!

Certainly not on his (Sheltons) terms.

343193[/snapback]

From Whispers around the NFL

We hear the Cardinals' release of OT L.J. Shelton is seen as vindication of a Bills brain trust that was heavily criticized by some media members(asssuming they mean Clayton) for not pulling the trigger on a proposed Travis Henry-for-Shelton trade. GM Tom Donahoe caught a lot of flak for not making that trade, but he said time and again that a player-for-player swap was not equal value. The Cardinals' decision to give Shelton his outright release is seen by the Bills as proof of that fact.

It's kind of late in the FA game, and that will hurt him.  But many folks have rated him in the Jennings range as a 2nd-3rd tier LT.  Which is he even get's half of what Jonas does, and probably deserves he is going to make over 3 million per.  Now the contract will have to be roster bonuses probably for next year as most teams will have their caps pretty much close to the limit at this point.

343192[/snapback]

Who has him rated with Jennings? Shelton was a failure with one of the worst teams in the league.

Well we need a LT and Kirwan has Shelton listed as the best one available.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8477514

343208[/snapback]

last i checked, pat kirwan (for whom i have tremendous respect, BTW) is not watching the bills' OL in practice or coaching the squad. it's painfully obvious that mcnally et al believe they have a LT on the roster equal to or better than shelton.

But many folks have rated him in the Jennings range as a 2nd-3rd tier LT. 

343192[/snapback]

Well, here's the OT rankings by Scouts Inc. from the ESPN site. Shelton's ranked 51st, while JJ is 13th. Quite a gap. (BTW, for all the folks down on MW, he's ranked 18th)

1 Jonathan Ogden OT BAL -- 97

2 Orlando Pace OT STL -- 96

3 Flozell Adams OT DAL -- 88

4 Jordan Gross OT CAR -- 85

5 Willie Roaf OT KC 83

6 Chris Samuels OT WAS 83

7 John Tait OT CHI -- 80

8 Bryant McKinnie OT MIN -- 79

9 Tarik Glenn OT IND D 78

10 Levi Jones OT CIN -- 77

11 Kyle Turley OT STL -- 77

12 Tra Thomas OT PHI -- 76

13 Jonas Jennings OT SF D 76

14 Maurice Williams OT JAC -- 76

15 Jeff Backus OT DET -- 75

16 Jon Runyan OT PHI -- 75

17 Jon Jansen OT WAS -- 75

18 Mike Williams OT BUF -- 74

19 Willie Anderson OT CIN -- 74

20 Chad Clifton OT GNB -- 74

21 Brad Hopkins OT TEN AD 74

22 Luke Petitgout OT NYG I 74

23 Todd Weiner OT ATL -- 73

24 Stockar McDougle OT MIA -- 73

25 Matt Light OT NE -- 73

26 Wayne Gandy OT NO -- 73

27 Jason Fabini OT NYJ -- 73

28 Fred Miller OT CHI A 72

29 Ryan Tucker OT CLE -- 72

30 Matt Lepsis OT DEN -- 72

31 Mark Tauscher OT GNB -- 72

32 Ryan Diem OT IND -- 72

33 Langston Walker OT OAK -- 72

34 Wade Smith OT MIA -- 72

35 Todd Wade OT HOU -- 72

36 Chris Bober OT KC -- 71

37 Marvel Smith OT PIT -- 71

38 Todd Steussie OT TB A 71

39 Kevin Shaffer OT ATL -- 70

40 Mike Rosenthal OT MIN -- 70

41 Scott Gragg OT SF A 70

42 Chris Terry OT SEA C 70

43 Derrick Deese OT TB A 70

44 Mike Pearson OT JAC B 70

45 Chester Pitts OT HOU -- 70

46 Kurt Vollers OT DAL -- 69

47 Damion McIntosh OT MIA I 69

48 Kareem McKenzie OT NYG -- 69

49 Bob Whitfield OT NYG AID 69

50 Ian Allen OT PHI -- 69

51 L.J. Shelton OT ARI -- 69

52 Kwame Harris OT SF Y 69

53 Adam Meadows OT CAR D 69

54 Orlando Brown OT BAL A 69

55 Victor Riley OT HOU -- 69

56 Qasim Mitchell OT CHI -- 68

57 Anthony Clement OT DEN -- 68

58 George Foster OT DEN DY 68

59 Rosevelt Colvin OT NE ID 68

60 Brandon Gorin OT NE -- 68

61 Kenyatta Walker OT TB D 68

62 Ephraim Salaam OT JAC B 68

Well, here's the OT rankings by Scouts Inc. from the ESPN site.  Shelton's ranked 51st, while JJ is 13th.  Quite a gap.  (BTW, for all the folks down on MW, he's ranked 18th)

1 Jonathan Ogden OT    BAL -- 97

5 Willie Roaf OT KC  83

6 Chris Samuels OT WAS    83

7 John Tait OT CHI -- 80

8 Bryant McKinnie OT MIN -- 79

9 Tarik Glenn OT IND D 78

10 Levi Jones OT CIN -- 77

14 Maurice Williams OT JAC -- 76

15 Jeff Backus OT DET -- 75

19 Willie Anderson OT CIN -- 74

20 Chad Clifton OT GNB -- 74

21 Brad Hopkins OT TEN AD 74

22 Luke Petitgout OT NYG I 74

23 Todd Weiner OT ATL -- 73

24 Stockar McDougle OT MIA -- 73

25 Matt Light OT NE -- 73

26 Wayne Gandy OT NO -- 73

27 Jason Fabini OT NYJ -- 73

28 Fred Miller OT CHI A 72

29 Ryan Tucker OT CLE -- 72

30 Matt Lepsis OT DEN -- 72

31 Mark Tauscher OT GNB -- 72

32 Ryan Diem OT IND -- 72

33 Langston Walker OT OAK -- 72

34 Wade Smith OT MIA -- 72

35 Todd Wade OT HOU -- 72

36 Chris Bober OT KC -- 71

37 Marvel Smith OT PIT -- 71

38 Todd Steussie OT TB A 71

39 Kevin Shaffer OT ATL -- 70

40 Mike Rosenthal OT MIN -- 70

41 Scott Gragg OT SF A 70

42 Chris Terry OT SEA C 70

43 Derrick Deese OT TB A 70

44 Mike Pearson OT JAC B 70

45 Chester Pitts OT HOU -- 70

46 Kurt Vollers OT DAL -- 69

47 Damion McIntosh OT MIA I 69

48 Kareem McKenzie OT NYG -- 69

49 Bob Whitfield OT NYG AID 69

50 Ian Allen OT PHI -- 69

52 Kwame Harris OT SF Y 69

53 Adam Meadows OT CAR D 69

54 Orlando Brown OT BAL A 69

55 Victor Riley OT HOU -- 69

56 Qasim Mitchell OT CHI -- 68

57 Anthony Clement OT DEN -- 68

58 George Foster OT DEN DY 68

59 Rosevelt Colvin OT NE ID 68

60 Brandon Gorin OT NE -- 68

61 Kenyatta Walker OT TB D 68

62 Ephraim Salaam OT JAC B 68

343282[/snapback]

I believe those are still the 2004 rankings. They need to update them.

Who has him rated with Jennings? Shelton was a failure with one of the worst teams in the league.

343243[/snapback]

The market seems to view Shelton and Jennings as comparable talents IF (and this is a big IF) Shelton is healthy.

Jennings as at that level and on the way up and Shelton is at roughly the same level and on his way down (if not out due to his ankle).

Jennings is a bet by SF that he is going to break out, but this is a bet that has not been realized to date because Jennings has been unable to start all 16 in his four year career. Add onto the two games he missed starts last year due to nicks a couple of other games that he was unable to finish due to nicks and JJ is good but questionable.

Shelton was overrated by AZ with the big FA contract they gave him, but there are some positive aspects to his past game which should not be ignored completely (strong arms and if he gets ahold of you and locks up you are done, played through nicks starting all 16 twice and earning the nickname the "Last Man Standing" as he was the only player in an injured Cards team to play) just as much as his negatives (not very athletic and troubled by the speed rushers that often occupy the LDE slot).

My sense is that these two players are equivalent for us in that JMac and the crew seemed to have made the decision that neither player is the answer for the Bills at LT. I think SF overpayed bigtime for Jennings. Nicks do not bother me as a disqualifier outright. However, Jennings has not only suffered from a continuing series of nicks that cost him time, but he has had a series of different maladies which make me wonder whether he might (MIGHT) be injury prone. His play has been good (when he can answer the call) but not so good and dominating that he is work the risk of top 10 OL cap hit money. I wish him luck and hope I am wrong.

The Bills seeming Shelton decision is a disappointment for me, but not because i am a big Shelton backer but because I am a big Bills backer. We need an answer at LT and I hope but am not confident that Gandy is that answer. I am not confident that Peters can be trusted to guard JPs backside. I think Teague can do it, but the disruption in chemistry moving Teague and questions it raised regarding Tucker goinf full tike or the young Preston stepping up are huge.

Shelton has real failings, but these failings are ones the Bills may well address (witth a huge blindside risk) due to JPs mobility and pocket awareness) and his positives have great upsides for the Bills (if he is the blocker for the run he has been it bodes well for an O which will run WM and then run him again). Its too bad from my perspective that he seems to be done as a player, but i trust in JMac enough to accept this judgment (WWJMacD).

However, Jennings and Shelton seem fairly equivalent to me,

Well, here's the OT rankings by Scouts Inc. from the ESPN site.  Shelton's ranked 51st, while JJ is 13th.  Quite a gap.  (BTW, for all the folks down on MW, he's ranked 18th)

1 Jonathan Ogden OT    BAL -- 97

5 Willie Roaf OT KC  83

343282[/snapback]

Uh, where is Walter Jones??? A notable oversight don't you think?

Also, Turley in front of Runyan is laughable. This list is no better than getting the results of a figure skating contest. Pure speculation and opinion.

Uh, where is Walter Jones???  A notable oversight don't you think?

Also, Turley in front of Runyan is laughable.  This list is no better than getting the results of a figure skating contest.  Pure speculation and opinion.

343884[/snapback]

Good catch. Jones bio and grade are not on the ESPN site for some reason.

I realize no list is definitive and the grades are for 2004, but this may be a good example of how Shelton's value is lower around the league than many TSW posters have convinced themselves it is.

It will be interesting to see which of the four teams Shelton's visiting with end up signing him (I'm betting the Texans).

Guess it depends on who you believe.

http://www.insiderfbg.com/pws/mp.asp?ID=+2069762905

Bills LT Jonas Jennings to the 49ers

The 49ers were desperate for a left tackle, so they overpaid for Jennings in a big way. Jennings is a good player, but he's by no means a premier left tackle. In fact, some still think he's a better guard. That said, it's a big hit for the Bills, who do not have a quality backup ready to step in. They are trying to make a deal to get L.J. Shelton from the Cardinals, but that hasn't happened yet. There's also talk of moving Trey Teague from center to tackle. If they get Shelton, Jennings won't be missed. They're on the same level. If they move Teague out, they could have some trouble inside.