Taking care of big money. Houses first act.

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Omg

So when the Dem majority senate, or God forbid, Biden shoots down this give away to the wealthy and sucker punch to everyone else, do the dems get the credit?  The R's the blame as they rightfully should?

10 hours ago, Chris farley said:

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chris farley said:

starting a thread about a posive move that got all the left to vote that they support this IRS army.

Right now we got 2K special agents. Why the heck would we need that number to climb to 50K  plus

ITs like some cant grasp this country was formed on tenants. one was NOT being taxed on one's labor. 

Then the income tax amendment came into play, in order to get the FEDERAL reserve to grow. 

And was sold as only 1% on the very rich.  And would never result on income taxes being levied on the other 99%.

And a good example of why many dont trust empty words from corporate owned tools with Long records of lying and lacking integrity.

Say what?  Who immediately comes to mind from this description?

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let us know when you’re old enough to pay taxes and we’ll explain what this discussion is all about. 

Wtf are you talking about?

My accountant takes care of everything for me.

Let me guess: you think the GQP bill means anything?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Wtf are you talking about?

My accountant takes care of everything for me.

Let me guess: you think the GQP bill means anything?

TurboTax is not an accountant. And your paper route can’t possibly qualify as income. Unless of course you’re delivering them all over Connecticut. If so, I hope you got a new bicycle for Christmas. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

On 1/10/2023 at 1:02 PM, SoCal Deek said:

And it’s your position that the IRS is currently going after ‘little money’ cheaters? 

IRS: Sorry, but It’s Just Easier and Cheaper to Audit the Poor

Without proper funding, the IRS cannot go after the big cheaters. So average Americans are footing the bill for the rich who don’t pay their taxes. 

It’s far easier to audit W-2 wage earners than the complicated incomes and assets of the ultra wealthy. The GOP knows this and that’s why they want to defund the IRS: to keep scrutiny on you and I, and off their donors.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

Without proper funding, the IRS cannot go after the big cheaters. So average Americans are footing the bill for the rich who don’t pay their taxes. 

It’s far easier to audit W-2 wage earners than the complicated incomes and assets of the ultra wealthy. The GOP knows this and that’s why they want to defund the IRS: to keep scrutiny on you and I, and off their donors.

Dems and working class Republicans mostly are for taxing the rich properly.  But fox says with the new irs unding they'll tax the middle class and look the conservatives are against it!  Wow I am shocked!   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Did you read the article. didnt really match the headline.

tapper didnt have the break down of how many were doing what jobs, while claiming the other persons info was false.

8 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

So let me get this straight….the IRS is currently going after small time taxpayers because it doesn’t have enough people? And it’s the talking point narrative that once they achieve the magic number of staff they’ll suddenly go after big time taxpayers instead of just MORE small time cheaters? Sure they will! Classic government nonsense. We can’t do our jobs because we’re ‘underfunded’. Works on the Left every single time. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So let me get this straight….the IRS is currently going after small time taxpayers because it doesn’t have enough people? And it’s the talking point narrative that once they achieve the magic number of staff they’ll suddenly go after big time taxpayers instead of just MORE small time cheaters? Sure they will! Classic government nonsense. We can’t do our jobs because we’re ‘underfunded’. Works on the Left every single time. 

Yeah, the poor is where the moneys at! :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, the poor is where the moneys at! :rolleyes:

I learned a long time ago that people who run these governmental departments are just like their middle management counterparts in the private sector. They have one goal: increasing their staff, pay, and with it a sense of authority/importance. As I told my younger managers, nobody is ever going to come to you and say ‘I don’t have anything to do’. So they keep their head down and if asked they tell their bosses that they’re super busy. Somehow the public sector has never learned this simple lesson. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

There’s so much misinformation here about the IRS going after low earners. Here’s the stats:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/what-are-the-odds-being-audited.html

Other than the 8.9% audit rate for reported zero AGI filers* the chances of being audited never exceeded 0.6% all the way up to $500,000 declared AGI. And then only a 1.1% chance up to a reported $1.0 million AGI. Over TEN MILLION dollars in reported AGI? Only an 8.6 percent chance of being audited. 
We largely have an honor system when it comes to tax filing. As a great Republican once said, “trust but verify.” And verify = audit in the tax world. 

*so why the high rate for zero AGI reporters? Well, they’re filing tax returns showing zero AGI, so they’re seeking big refunds, often despite big earnings or big 1099s. So by definition they are claiming big “adjustments” (that’s what the “A” stands for) to their Gross Income. And that often warrants a closer look. Even so, it’s still under ten percent of these zero declared AGI filers who got audited. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

TurboTax is not an accountant. And your paper route can’t possibly qualify as income. Unless of course you’re delivering them all over Connecticut. If so, I hope you got a new bicycle for Christmas. 

So elementary.

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

There’s so much misinformation here about the IRS going after low earners. Here’s the stats:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/what-are-the-odds-being-audited.html

Other than the 8.9% audit rate for reported zero AGI filers* the chances of being audited never exceeded 0.6% all the way up to $500,000 declared AGI. And then only a 1.1% chance up to a reported $1.0 million AGI. Over TEN MILLION dollars in reported AGI? Only an 8.6 percent chance of being audited. 
We largely have an honor system when it comes to tax filing. As a great Republican once said, “trust but verify.” And verify = audit in the tax world. 

*so why the high rate for zero AGI reporters? Well, they’re filing tax returns showing zero AGI, so they’re seeking big refunds, often despite big earnings or big 1099s. So by definition they are claiming big “adjustments” (that’s what the “A” stands for) to their Gross Income. And that often warrants a closer look. Even so, it’s still under ten percent of these zero declared AGI filers who got audited. 

Thanks! All the more reason to move towards a slightly progressive flat tax. Don’t believe me? Ask yourself when you’ve ever been audited for sales tax? 

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks! All the more reason to move towards a slightly progressive flat tax. Don’t believe me? Ask yourself when you’ve ever been audited for sales tax? 

how do u implement a progressive sales tax?  by their nature, sales taxes are regressive.  For example, a family with an income of $50000 likely spends every penny and is taxed on every penny.  A family making $500000 may only spend $200000.  So taxes of the low earner will be on 100% of his income while that of the high earner on 40%.

2 hours ago, Chris farley said:

Did you read the article. didnt really match the headline.

tapper didnt have the break down of how many were doing what jobs, while claiming the other persons info was false.

yes, i read it unlike many here that won't read anything linked that disagrees with their preconceived, fragile beliefs. Tapper quotes the CBO.  The Louisiana congressmen brushes it off with a hand wave.

"The JCT issued a report last year saying taxes on large corporations may lead those companies to ultimately shift costs to their workers and customers. It says nothing about the IRS “going after hard-working families and small businesses,” as Johnson claimed.

Tapper noted the Congressional Budget Office estimated that not hiring the new IRS employees will cost the federal government $114 billion in lost revenue."

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1