Paul Edinger Released

Paul Edinger is a career 13-19 from 50+ and a career 40-57 from 40-49. In the last 2 years he is 6-9 from 50+ and 13-21 from 40-49

Rian Lindell is a career 7-14 from 50+ and 21-37 from 40-49. In the last 2 years Lindell is 0-2 from 50+(shows how much confidence we have in him kicking 50 yard fg's) and 4-10 from 40-49

I'd say it's worth bringing in edinger as he's shown he's pretty acurate from 50+, and at worst would be a training camp battle to either push Lindell or hopefully replace him.

Donahoe won't spend the money on him. I think Tommy boy is content with what we already have.  :doh:

342108[/snapback]

TD has shown interest in a couple of kickers which would indicate to me that he doesn't have the type of confidence in Lindell many here believe.

A couple articles showed us being in the mix for Doug Brien, and we also indicated that had Nugent been available at our spot we might have pulled the trigger. TD is not happy with Lindell; however a lack of a legitimate replacement has kept us from upgrading the position.

Edinger was a great kicker with a very powerful leg, that is until recently when he got a case of the shanks. Their is nothing physically wrong with him and if TD believes he will overcome what seems to be a mental problem then I expect the Bills will at least show some interest.

I have heard of him. SIGN HIM TD AND GET SHELTON TOO!! :doh:

342113[/snapback]

342113[/snapback]

I realize you are being sarcastic, but there are times when people have heard of free agents, because they are good. In this case, I would definitely give Edinger a call. Lindell is flat out awful (and has not improved in Buffalo), there is already evidence that TD is at least interested in upgrading this position, and he has experience kicking in swirling winds. You have to have a kicker....personally, I don't think that this job is Lindell's, without challenge.

The only reason that Lindells' stats have improved at all during his tenure in Buffalo, is because he has been put in less statisticaly challenging situations. Even then, he has failed. It seems that TD has had a rather cavalier attitude about PK's in the past. I honestly think his worst move as GM of the Bills (and I generally think TD has done a fantastic job) was extending Lindell's contract, when he had shown nothing.

This team was (and still may be) on the cusp of becoming an upper tier team last season. The perception was that the QB held them back. TD got rid of the QB. The one other most visable (IMO) area that needs improvement is the kicker. As football/Bills fanatics, we can all understand that the QB's is a bit more complex than a kicker's job. With the exception of the rare bad snap, the faiure is pretty much on the kickers' shoulder. DB haters accused TD of building a team around DB that would resucitate his career. So now, are we advocating doing the same thing, for a friggin' kicker, who has shown nothing in three years that would indicate he is improving, and even at his best (in Seattle) was only a notch above average?

Donahoe won't spend the money on him. I think Tommy boy is content with what we already have.  :doh:

342108[/snapback]

That isn't really the impression I've gotten this offseason based on comments coming out of OBD...if memory serves...

Frankly, if we are successful with our power running game, then we will ultimately be one of those teams (al a da Raiders) who just have no problem with 3rd and 2s become 4th and 1s become 1st and 10s, thus avoiding the need to put Lindell in a position to fail.

It's not like we'll be 3rd and 1 at the 38 and throw every freakin' time.

This does not excuse Lindell's distance inaccuracies. They will just be factored in less often, I believe.

Edingers also got that weird-a$$ run-up to the ball where he faces backwards and corkscrews to the ball...but the can guy can make kicks, and hen can make them from distances...plus hes kicked in chicago, so he can deal with the elements

but malta, you're right, the vikes have a wood over him and i wouldnt be surprised to see them massively overpay for him...after all, they have the cap room...

I realize you are being sarcastic, but there are times when people have heard of free agents, because they are good.  In this case, I would definitely give Edinger a call.

15 of 24 field goal attempts in 2004. Has only kicked with 80% plus accuracy in 1 of 5 NFL seasons.

I guess you and I just differ on what good is.

That isn't really the impression I've gotten this offseason based on comments coming out of OBD...if memory serves...

Frankly, if we are successful with our power running game, then we will ultimately be one of those teams (al a da Raiders) who just have no problem with 3rd and 2s become 4th and 1s become 1st and 10s, thus avoiding the need to put Lindell in a position to fail.

It's not like we'll be 3rd and 1 at the 38 and throw every freakin' time.

This does not excuse Lindell's distance inaccuracies. They will just be factored in less often, I believe.

342131[/snapback]

It really is going to be different this year?

Edingers also got that weird-a$$ run-up to the ball where he faces backwards and corkscrews to the ball...but the can guy can make kicks, and hen can make them from distances...plus hes kicked in chicago, so he can deal with the elements

but malta, you're right, the vikes have a wood over him and i wouldnt be surprised to see them massively overpay for him...after all, they have the cap room...

342136[/snapback]

I was going to say the same thing about his "wind up". It looks like he is looking the other way before he starts. IMO, he is a much better kicker than Lindell. Would be nice if we took a shot at him.

Bears | Edinger Perfect on His Last Day - from www.KFFL.com

Sun, 22 May 2005 19:12:24 -0700

Bob LeGere, reports for the Daily Herald, former Chicago Bears PK Paul Edinger was a perfect place kicker his last day with the team Sunday, May 22. Edinger connected on all five of his field goal attempts from 28, 33, 38, 40 and 43 yards. One thing made clear at practice was that Edinger was his teammates' choice to win the job. Whenever he kicked he had no pre-kick distractions. When another kicker attempted a field goal they were greeted with catcalls by the other players. Despite the perfect day, Edinger was later released. Edinger and his agent, Ken Harris, appreciate the opportunity to investigate job openings well in advance of the opening of training camps in late July. Harris said he will spend the upcoming week pinpointing the best spot for Edinger.

I bet Lindell would've missed from 38,40 and 43.