Why isn't Shelton a Bill yet?

After talks of possibly trading henry AND other picks, etc, etc, etc, and the stare down between TD and billy bidwill, why the hell isn't shelton a Bill now that he's a FA?

Sorry, i've been out of the football loop for a couple weeks, so maybe someone else snagged him, but if not, WTF?

After talks of possibly trading henry AND other picks, etc, etc, etc, and the stare down between TD and billy bidwill, why the hell isn't shelton a Bill now that he's a FA?

Sorry, i've been out of the football loop for a couple weeks, so maybe someone else snagged him, but if not, WTF?

341522[/snapback]

I'm not a fan of TD, but it's becoming more and more believable that he really meant it when he said the coaches were not that interested in the guy and it was pretty much only about picks for TH.

341522[/snapback]

Because Donahoe doesn't do business out of spite. Only for talent and value.

The Dyson Vacuum does not lose suction.

341595[/snapback]

quote a brit again, and I'll B word slap ya! :blink::P;)

But seriously, you guys say "he sucks" or he's overrated.... well I'm sorry, but he is (or was... in the very recent past) a starting OLineman... does ANYONE really believe he would be a DOWNGRADE from what we have now?

I DON'T KNOW!!!!!

I really hope we sign him. The guy is a good tackle. He just needs the right coach and there isn't a better coach than McNally.

Maybe TD doesn't like him for some reason. But to say that Gandy is better than Shelton is just retarded.

341589[/snapback]

I'm not buying it either. Gandy to me is nothing more than a role player at best. A Finese rp at that. Shelton from what I've seen from him has some pop in the run game. I don't think he's that much worse than Jonas Jennings.

The biggest thing I think is to have consistency on the oline. Not a rotating ol system where you plug in someone else who pass protects better than the other guy or a guy who run blocks better than the guy who pass protects. 5 consistent players across the board. All The Great olines have it. KC, Indy, Philly, Pittsburgh,NE

Yeah you replace guys as they come in go in free agency but I'm just not keen ont the idea that trey teague will see time at lt, and gandy's our starting lt. A LT/LG by committie spells disaster to me. I'm just not seeing how shelton isn't better than either gandy or teague.

With that said though I put my faith in mcnally and pray to god it all works out for the best.

There are several reasonable possibililities:

1. The Bills docs examined Shelton and just as they made a call on WM that his knee injuries were clean and could be repaired, they might have judged Shelton's ankle injury as not likely offering much of a chance of repair. Thus no deal.

2. Its actually not a straightforward negotiation as a new Shelton contract no only involves agreement over amount from a baseline of his old Cards contract of $3 million/yr but the ability to give him a bonus, prorate the amount over the years of the contract, and end up with a relatively low cap hit this year but allow him to put more money in his pocket right now than $3 million.

3. There may actually be a couple of teams with an interest in Shelton services and it will take him a few days to assess interest.

4. The Bills feel like the LT position is set with possibilities of Gandy or Peters with Teague as an emergency possibiility )I doubt this)

Certainly as time progresses it gets less likely, but I wouldn't write this one off til there is some authoritative public word from one of the principles that no discussions are forseen.

Wait and see seems to be the answer.

341522[/snapback]

Oh man do you even read the news links at TBD.com? It was reported that that coaching staff wasn't enamored with him just TD superficially.

why do you say he is a good tackle? A clue may be that AZ outright released him, so they feel he is not worthy of even a backup spot, and his trade value is zero (i.e. they could have traded him for a 6th round pick next yr to someone at least).

So - maybe the football minds in the AZ & Bills organizations realize that he is not a good option.

That being said, if we can pick him up for depth and a shot at the lineup (if MCNally can work his magic), then that wood be fine.

But Im certainly not going to be upset that the Bills didnt sign him immediately, and assume that he is an obvious upgrade that TD is missing the boat on.

341522[/snapback]

After spending the past month and a half trying to figure out how you could save WNY 15% on their car insurance, you make your triumphant return with this thread? My, how the mighty have fallen. :blink:

why do you say he is a good tackle?  A clue may be that AZ outright released him, so they feel he is not worthy of even a backup spot, and his trade value is zero (i.e. they could have traded him for a 6th round pick next yr to someone at least).

So - maybe the football minds in the AZ & Bills organizations realize that he is not a good option.

That being said, if we can pick him up for depth and a shot at the lineup (if MCNally can work his magic), then that wood be fine.

But Im certainly not going to be upset that the Bills didnt sign him immediately, and assume that he is an obvious upgrade that TD is missing the boat on.

341691[/snapback]

Folks think Shelton is a possibility because:

1. He was regarded as a quality LT such that the football wizards at AZ compensated him with a huge FA contract. Since obviously the folks in AT are not the best and the brightest regarding football this assessment could have been a mistake, but is not generally regarded as such a huge one because Shelton is the LT equivalent of Ryan Leaf in play. At worst he was far from the best but was not horrendous.

2. The Bills have such uncertainty at LT even a not-so-good LT is probably an upgrade:

A. The even less accomplished than Shelton Gandy as the first choice (JMac must really see something to be improved in Gandy's game to elevate it above a level not sufficient for the Bears to see him as starting LT quality),

B. It is unlikely Peters is ready to be trusted this year to guard JPs blindside (Peters may one day be a quality LT but I don't care how phenomenal an athlete he is if JMac pulls this off for THIS YEAR he is truly a miracle worker),

C. Teague can probably do the job at LT as he was adequate though judged not deserving resigning as an LT FA by Denver and his game has probably improved with what he has learned as Bills center. However, even this possibility is not guaranteed and the disruption it causes by removing him at C means counting on Tucker for a full season or accelerating the progress and promotion of Preston.

3. Shelton does seem to have clear strengths (tremendous upper-body strength and if he locks up with a defender the rusher is done) but also clear weaknesses (he can be beaten in space against speed LDEs and may not be athletic enough. However, this combo of strengths and weaknesses actually plays well to a Bills scheme that plans to run most as Shelton would be a quality road grader for WM and JP's mobility strength means that the back-up for Shelton getting beat as may happen against the Jason Taylors will be for him to be smart enough to take the penalty and tackle a Taylor when he is beat or if he is horribly beaten to yell LOOK OUT to the fleet-footed JP.

Ironically,if we get down to Teague as a fallback his rep is the reverse as he seems to have the athleticism to take on the speed rushers but not the power to be a lead blocking LT on the run.

4. Shelton has shown some good ability to deal with injuries in his career (he earned the nickname, "The Last Man Standing" in AZ when the whole OL went down due to serious injuries or they could not play through pain while Shelton pulled this off.

However, the big deal with Shelton is that he suffered an ankle injury which happened in conjunction with AZ deciding to move him to RT and a lowering of his production. Shelton and Deniis Green also started to fight and it was over.

If this happened because Shelton's ankle injury was the real deal and he is done even as the not-as-good as his pay LT then the Bills will easily pass on him. If on the other hand, the Bills docs judge the ankle injury to be reparable (as they correctly judged with WM) and the problems with his production were based in a bad relationship with Denny then he may well be a huge upgrade for the Bills.

The real answer is that nobody really knows which of these factors is true.

It will be a great thing for the Bills if they have judged the problems as to be personality issues between Denny and Shelton and the prescensce of Shelton's cousin on the Bills and other factors lead to a judgment that Shelton is a clear upgrade for us we can work with.

However, a lot of things have to be true in particular ways to make this so and as time passes with no deal it becomes far more likely that we judge him to be done and are going to look elsewhere. However, the carving of a deal is not a straightforward activity and there are some market issues to read (Shelton may have some demand for him as folks are antsy about getting an LT-the Bills may still prefer a few other LTs likely to enter the market when cap cuts occur like Walker or Whitfield.

My guess is that this will get done one way or the other by June 2nd or 3rd and that the Bills will have options (not good ones but better ones than they got right now) to choose from.