Cold medicine to be behind-the-counter now

Under the bill, starch-based cold medication products containing pseudoephedrine would be put behind the counter in pharmacies. Individuals who want to purchase this medication would be required to show a photo ID, report their address and sign their name. Purchasers would also be limited to purchasing 7.5 grams of medication at one time.

http://www.hudsonstarobserver.com/main.asp...&SubSectionID=9

Does anyone besides me have a problem with this? Why should I need to show photo ID and sign a log to buy cold medicine? Do they honestly believe that people who want to make meth won't easily get around this? How long before I need to sign for Draino as well? :) Just seems like a rocky road to go down IMHO, especially because there doesn't appear to be anything in the law stopping me from hitting 10 different stores to get all the Sudafed I want. I think this is akin to not allowing nail files on airplanes. "It makes you safer, trust us!"

Thoughts?

CW

Does anyone besides me have a problem with this?  Why should I need to show photo ID and sign a log to buy cold medicine?  Do they honestly believe that people who want to make meth won't easily get around this?  How long before I need to sign for Draino as well?  :lol:  Just seems like a rocky road to go down IMHO, especially because there doesn't appear to be anything in the law stopping me from hitting 10 different stores to get all the Sudafed I want.  I think this is akin to not allowing nail files on airplanes.  "It makes you safer, trust us!"

Thoughts?

CW

341003[/snapback]

Repeat after me:

We need more governmental regulation of our lives.

:)

Is that true??? and if so...why?

341013[/snapback]

The five most stolen items in a drugstore are batteries, cosmetics, film, sunglasses, and, get this, Preparation H. Apparently people are just too embarrassed to purchase the last item. And, just in case you are curious, one of Preparation H's main ingredient is shark liver oil. The oil not only helps shrink hemorrhoids, but will shrink any tissue. As a result, many older women in Florida use the stuff to help reduce the appearance of wrinkles!

Source: Do Pharmacists Sell Farms? by Vince Staten (1998, Simon & Schuster)

I just went to Walmart to pick up some Tylenol Sinus meds and they had it behind the counter. Had to show my drivers license so they could enter my info in the computer. Told me I could only get it 3 times a month. But down here in Arkansas Meth labs are really bad. Please no Redneck jokes...I just recently transfered down here.

Does anyone besides me have a problem with this?  Why should I need to show photo ID and sign a log to buy cold medicine?  Do they honestly believe that people who want to make meth won't easily get around this?  How long before I need to sign for Draino as well?  :blink:  Just seems like a rocky road to go down IMHO, especially because there doesn't appear to be anything in the law stopping me from hitting 10 different stores to get all the Sudafed I want.  I think this is akin to not allowing nail files on airplanes.  "It makes you safer, trust us!"

Thoughts?

CW

341003[/snapback]

Hey buddy, you're not disagreeing with our government, are you? We don't need troublemakers like you, especially in a time of war. We're working hard to keep America free so shut up, sit down, and stop rockin' the boat.

PTR

In days of yore, one could purchase APC (aspirin-phenactin-codeine) tablets, codeine cough syrup (Cherecol, Robetussin AC and Novahistine), G.I. Gin (terpin hydrate) and paragoric (opium syrup) by signing a book at the pharmacy counter. The amphetamine nasal inhalants were there on the counter next to the Life Savers and the Dentyne gum :blink:

I was at the drugstore last fall and the woman (a tweaker-meth addict) in front of me tried to buy 10 packages of cold medicine. She had a lame story about having three sick kids at home. They would only sell her 1. Since then , most of the drugstores in CA have put it behingd the counter. They just showed a house in San Jose where the owner had made about 100K worth of meth. It was't that much. They said a spark could have blown up the house.

Also around where I live,the drugstores have put razor blades behind the counter, they are the most common things being shoplifted here.

My kids were sick and I picked up some cold medicine at K-Mart. My son is older and daughter still three... So I grabbed one (which was buy one, get one free) and two others... I had to put one down because I excceded my limit!

:huh::doh:

Now, some here might think I lap the stuff up :blink: But, really... It was for my sick kids and to stock up!

B-)

I just went to Walmart to pick up some Tylenol Sinus meds and they had it behind the counter. Had to show my drivers license so they could enter my info in the computer. Told me I could only get it 3 times a month. But down here in Arkansas Meth labs are really bad. Please no Redneck jokes...I just recently transfered down here.

341022[/snapback]

They have computers + electricity in Arkansas now?

Oregon has the worst epidemic of Meth in the country, and I am in total favor of taking the tools away from the people who are hurting themselves and others because of the drug. It does not affect my access to have a cold treated when I need the meds.

Oregon has the worst epidemic of Meth in the country, and I am in total favor of taking the tools away from the people who are hurting themselves and others because of the drug.  It does not affect my access to have a cold treated when I need the meds.

341343[/snapback]

Problems in OH also; worse in IN and KY. Table from the local n'paper here:

"METH LAB SEIZURES

Methamphetamine lab seizures have increased more than sevenfold since 1999 in the Tristate, according to federal statistics. Here are the numbers:

1999 2004

Indiana 151 1,002

Kentucky 67 562

Ohio 14 211

Total 232 1,775

(Missouri had the highest incidence with 2,707.)"

Oregon has the worst epidemic of Meth in the country, and I am in total favor of taking the tools away from the people who are hurting themselves and others because of the drug.  It does not affect my access to have a cold treated when I need the meds.

341343[/snapback]

It doesn't affect your access, but aren't you a bit concerned that you have to give your drivers license and sign a log in order to get COLD MEDICINE?

And why aren't there these restrictions on bunsen burners? Draino?

And how is this really helping anything? Why won't Mr. Meth maker go to Walmart for a couple packages, Target for a couple more, WalGreens, RiteAid, etc? IF someone wants to make meth, this is hardly a deterrant. All it does is forces normal citizens to "show your papers" to get cold medicine. All security is a tradeoff -- and in this case, I don't see any benefit to outweigh the negatives.

CW