Micah Hyde leaves the door open to returning this season, per Joe Buscaglia

Logic

8 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Sounds similar to the David Pollack injury which caused him to retire

My brother is a chiropractor and when Hyde first got hurt he said that's the kind of injury where guys retire. He could technically play right now but they are being cautious with him and if he never played again that wouldn't surprise him either. It's really up to the player and if the team is ok with the liability in case he ends up paralyzed or with a broken back

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Didn't he have a discectomy? 

He had the ACDF surgery and discectomy (D) is part of the procedure. Many players have returned to the game afterwards and excelled. DK Metcalf might be the best example. Peyton Manning managed to win a Super Bowl after ACDF surgery as well. 

16 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

My brother is a chiropractor and when Hyde first got hurt he said that's the kind of injury where guys retire. He could technically play right now but they are being cautious with him and if he never played again that wouldn't surprise him either. It's really up to the player and if the team is ok with the liability in case he ends up paralyzed or with a broken back

Over 70% of NFL players who have his surgery return to form according to statistics 

outcomes for an ACDF are “overall very positive with 70% of football players (who have this procedure) returning to play with no discernible change in the quality of play.“

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

He’s coming back. Book it. 

I think there’s something going on.  Why do we keep hearing more about this - and in The Athletic no less - if there is no chance he can play.  

But, per what he is saying he needs some good info the next few days.  

My guess is this.  He can play - but here are the risks.  My own opinion is that he will take the risk if it means playing by an AFC Championship game in late January.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

I think there’s something going on.  Why do we keep hearing more about this - and in The Athletic no less - if there is no chance he can play.  

My guess is this.  He can play - but here are the risks.  My own opinion is that he will take the risk if it means playing by an AFC Championship game in late January.   

Super Bowl or bust. I think he’ll only risk it for a chance to play in the Super Bowl. 

46 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Over 70% of NFL players who have his surgery return to form according to statistics 

outcomes for an ACDF are “overall very positive with 70% of football players (who have this procedure) returning to play with no discernible change in the quality of play.“

I had this surgery spanning 5 or 6 discs in my neck with fusion and cages. I was pretty much paralyzed after the surgery. The next day they did another surgery to relieve spinal cord pressure.  Not sure what that one was called but they shaved the bone off the back of my neck.  Two years later, I am still struggling with a lot of things. 

On the flipside my wife also had the same surgery but less severe as I think it was only 2 discs.  She was getting herself out of the hospital bed and going to the bathroom same day.  I was stunned.  Happy as hell of course because after mine I was scared shitless, but stunned.

Everyone is different.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I had this surgery spanning 5 or 6 discs in my neck with fusion and cages. I was pretty much paralyzed after the surgery. The next day they did another surgery to relieve spinal cord pressure.  Not sure what that one was called but they shaved the bone off the back of my neck.  Two years later, I am still struggling with a lot of things. 

On the flipside my wife also had the same surgery but less severe as I think it was only 2 discs.  She was getting herself out of the hospital bed and going to the bathroom same day.  I was stunned.  Happy as hell of course because after mine I was scared shitless, but stunned.

Everyone is different.

He also has the best doctors and rehab and money in the world 

im sure I would be messed up forever lol

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He also has the best doctors and rehab and money in the world 

im sure I would be messed up forever lol

Yeah thats the other part of it... best in the world treatment.  I had to fight comp every 12 visits for rehab so I would miss like 2 months of rehab every 6 weeks taking them to court.  I could feel it set me back every time.

28 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Super Bowl or bust. I think he’ll only risk it for a chance to play in the Super Bowl. 

But do we even want a rusty Hyde at that point vs a solid Hamlin.. I really don't know but Hyde is a certified all pro S , just like him to play a bit in the playoffs if we make the sb 

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

But do we even want a rusty Hyde at that point vs a solid Hamlin.. I really don't know but Hyde is a certified all pro S , just like him to play a bit in the playoffs if we make the sb 

If he was healthy enough to play without risk then I think Hyde would get back in form pretty quick.  Yes, I would take a rusty Hyde over Hamlin any day provided there was no risk to his health other than normal football risk.  

I personally dont think he will be ready to play this year, but you never know.  Top medical care is just different than for everyone else.

42 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

He's around the team constantly, in good spirits, and doing lots of media work. 

I also think he'll be back in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

The only way he comes back this season is if every report on the type of surgery he had is incorrect and he had the artificial disc replacement procedure instead. That recovery time is 3 months vs. the minimum six months. Otherwise, Micah Hyde would be a modern medical miracle with supernatural bone fusing powers. 

14 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Bones heal slowly, I can’t see him being medically cleared 2-3 months post surgery. 

It's not a bone that was injured. It was cartilage between the neck from what I read. With proper treatments it can be corrected and healed in only a few months.

It is the nerve damage associated with these discs is much more concerning 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The only way he comes back this season is if every report on the type of surgery he had is incorrect and he had the artificial disc replacement procedure instead. That recovery time is 3 months vs. the minimum six months. Otherwise, Micah Hyde would be a modern medical miracle with supernatural bone fusing powers. 

I'd think if it was zero chance and the doctors had told him it was a minimum of 6 months before contact then Micah and the Bills would come out and tell us that.  There must be something promising coming from the doctors that they haven't just completely shut down the possibility.  It's not just wishful thinking on our part.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I'd think if it was zero chance and the doctors had told him it was a minimum of 6 months before contact then Micah and the Bills would come out and tell us that.  There must be something promising coming from the doctors that they haven't just completely shut down the possibility.  It's not just wishful thinking on our part.

Nope, not wishful thinking at all. Just an unprecedented recovery in record time in the entire history of athletes who have undergone the ACDF procedure. As I said, if it were the artificial disc replacement surgery instead, then I could buy it. But proper bone fusion of the spine takes time and there’s a reason why it’s a minimum 6 month recovery window. 

I don't doubt anyone who says this is a six-month injury (I have no clue). 

But if that's the case, why is Micah saying stuff like this that he has to know is getting fans curious at the least and hopeful at best?....

"...hopefully when those two weeks are up, we can make something happen.”

Make what exactly happen? Why say something like this is there is zero chance he could play soon?

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Nope, not wishful thinking at all. Just an unprecedented recovery in record time in the entire history of athletes who have undergone the ACDF procedure. As I said, if it were the artificial disc replacement surgery instead, then I could buy it. But proper bone fusion of the spine takes time and there’s a reason why it’s a minimum 6 month recovery window. 

Where did we ever find out it was acdf vs a herniation? 

9 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I don't doubt anyone who says this is a six-month injury (I have no clue). 

But if that's the case, why is Micah saying stuff like this that he has to know is getting fans curious at the least and hopeful at best?....

"...hopefully when those two weeks are up, we can make something happen.”

Make what exactly happen? Why say something like this is there is zero chance he could play soon?

Could mentally help him.