Donahoe

well look what we have here.... or might, now the cardinals have released shelton (who we can now get for free), the titans' brown broke his hand, and philly's westbrook is still not playing. Everybody thought that TD was rediculous for not pulling the trigger. Nothin has happened yet, and even if it never does, i still would have never thought that it would work out this way and that the market for henry might actually be better after the draft. Props to TD for stickin to his guns!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Shelton deal alone, even if the Bills docs gave a report that makes us want him (still an uncertainty because the Bills let the word out unofficially playing it both ways which is just the way to do it) they made a good move because:

1. they stand a good chance if they want him of getting Shelton at a lower cap hit than $3 million but,

2. retain the possibility of giving him a bonus which can be prorated over the length of the contract giving him more money

2. Can backload the contract with a big base salary which they will pay him if he is a stud at LT, cut him and not owe him the base pay if he sucks or we have a cheaper option, and still give him a total contract as big or bigger than the deal he got from AZ.

Even better they gave no value to get him and ultimately if they trade Hemry for someone they get Shelton anyway plus the new draft pick or player. if this plays out it will create a situation where a decision to cut Henry was obviously dumb, but actually trading him for Shelton might have been even stupider.

i will honestly be disapointed if we get antyhing less than a 3rd rounder for him. I understand his value and all, but just thinking about his great seasons and we may only get a 5th for him, that would stink.

well look what we have here.... or might, now the cardinals have released shelton (who we can now get for free), the titans' brown broke his hand, and philly's westbrook is still not playing. Everybody thought that TD was rediculous for not pulling the trigger. Nothin has happened yet, and even if it never does, i still would have never thought that it would work out this way and that the market for henry might actually be better after the draft. Props to TD for stickin to his guns!

339904[/snapback]

TD's finished after this season.

Agree.

Bills don't make the playoffs, again, and that is it.

340749[/snapback]

Unless they completely flame this season, he'll be back. The new QB will buy him at least one more season. After next year, if no playoffs he BETTER be done.

regardless of what he has or hasnt done, i dont think that there is a GM in this league that could have brought us out of the salary cap hell that we were in as good as TD did. I cant say that he has done well the past few years, particularly in the draft, those will be decided in the future, but i will always give TD the credit he deserves for the re-birth of our team and core players.

regardless of what he has or hasnt done, i dont think that there is a GM in this league that could have brought us out of the salary cap hell that we were in as good as TD did. I cant say that he has done well the past few years, particularly in the draft, those will be decided in the future, but i will always give TD the credit he deserves for the re-birth of our team and core players.

340762[/snapback]

3-13 and 6-10

That was the price for getting out of salary cap hell.

It was paid for.

3-13 and 6-10

It was paid for.

340765[/snapback]

The impressive thing is that he sold out more games in those years that Butler did in 1994 and 1996. The guy is one of the biggest reasons the Bills are not mentioned anymore as a team that might move to LA.

While winning the SB or even making the playoffs is not the only benchmark used to judge him.

The impressive thing is that he sold out more games in those years that Butler did in 1994 and 1996.  The guy is one of the biggest reasons the Bills are not mentioned anymore as a team that might move to LA.

While winning the SB or even making the playoffs is not the only benchmark used to judge him.

340770[/snapback]

I know theres some sort of stat about the attendance and the Bills were number 1, i dont know exactly what it was, or how long it was for, anybody know?

3-13 and 6-10

It was paid for.

340765[/snapback]

Because I think that W/L is the ultimate measure of GM success (I'm merely a fan so i do not have to care about tthe real measures of whether his boss Ralph is excited about him which is W/L AND how the business is going, what are the prospects for the future and has been exciting or an embarassment for the most part to own the team).

As a fan I judge TD to be a failure because the Ws have not been what I wanted.

However, in making the claim that TD will be a goner merely because his record sucks you ignore the other important factors that will determine his employment which have little to do with how you and I judge him.

By ignoring the obvious in merely claiming he is a goner because his record sucks you actually make the case for the other guy because your ignoring key facts is so obvious your argument is easily ignored.

TDs record sucks but:

1. All reports and many objective signs indicate that the business side is being well run and bringing in money even well above the NFL standards of raking in the big bucks.

2. TD made a big mistake in hiring GW instead of Fox or Lewis and he simply was not a complete enough football guy to be a winning HC. TD actually has a skilset which could have complimented GWs strenghts and weaknesses well if he had been a bit more forceful in not letting GW hire a bunch of assistants who had less experiene than him by using his connections to the old guard and then forcing them on his employee. However, my sense is that TD seemed bruised enough by getting fired by a guy he hired in Pittsburgh that he avoided hiring a strong0minded HC like Lewis who might take him on and beat him and instead hired GW who he coul allow to make his own bed and beat him if he had to.

A. TD should have never allowed GW to hire such and inexprienced staff.

B. When inexperienced members of the staff sucked TD should have forced GW to hire his choices for replacement (he has publicly said he pushed for Clements as OC but gave in to GWs choice of the wounded and controllable Kevin Killdrive as the OC.

When GWs buddy Vinky was not up to the OL job, TD never should have allowed the only marginally more experienced Ruel have the job.

C. TD recognized the team's weaknesses and set things up so his buddy former OC Les Steckel was there when Killdrive ultimately failed, but he never forced GW to made Killdrive change obvious failings with the O.

D. Etc.

3. In part thenks to us ravenous fans getting excited about possibilities, some very good TD work building the base for success (some good cap management work, good accumulation of front office talent led by Modrak and the scouts, being a very good negotiator and market reader with trades and drafts), but he has always accompanied this with some fatal boners which undercut good base building (hiring the not ready for primetime GW snd resigning Bledsoe rather than cutting him afteer 2003 - the initial acquisition was good really helping the Bills in 2002 while the trade killed the Pats in 2002 as they absorbed the accelerated bonus and even missed the playoffs, but he should have written off Bledsoe as a wash after 2003.

At any rate, TD has always followed up the horrdous 2001 and 2003 records you site with some acquisitions (Bledsoe for RJ, MM for GW, and even potentially JP for Bledsoe after a winning season that ended in a disappointing fashion. I think RWS has generally been pretty happy with the prospects for the future of the team and if that is the case TD stays.

I want TD to be successful. I really do, but he still hasn't gotten anything for Hensry. Lets hope he does!

339912[/snapback]

Name a better RB out there better that Hensry? You can't because Hensry is the perfect bait.

Jeff

2. TD made a big mistake in hiring GW instead of Fox or Lewis and he simply was not a complete enough football guy to be a winning HC. TD actually has a skilset which could have complimented GWs strenghts and weaknesses well if he had been a bit more forceful in not letting GW hire a bunch of assistants who had less experiene than him by using his connections to the old guard and then forcing them on his employee. However, my sense is that TD seemed bruised enough by getting fired by a guy he hired in Pittsburgh that he avoided hiring a strong0minded HC like Lewis who might take him on and beat him and instead hired GW who he coul allow to make his own bed and beat him if he had to.

So TD should have hired Marvin Lewis? Lewis has done less with more talent in Cinci than GW had his first two years as Bills coach. And considering the underperformance of the Bengals defense over the last two years, Lewis' stock continues to fall.

I think Donahoe made the right decision in not hiring Lewis, based on Lewis' record.

And the records of Fox and Williams were similar (both DCs of SB losing teams, with highly rated Ds), so the way to differentiate between the two is personal interviews, and Williams did better, due to Fox's need to focus on the SB during the interview process.

So let's pull the reins in while speculating about Donahoe's fictional bruised ego. It doesn't exist. At the time, he made a solid decision.