Reactions and thoughts on the team and game - post Minnesota loss

Sharky7337

Look I'm as tired as you are about the losses in these moments, but we still are not out of where we want to go (yet). Here are some of my post-loss thoughts about the Bills just want to throw out there:

• Why don't we run the ball well / enough / running backs not doing well / short yardage problems
    • The front office has prioritized money and draft capital to positions they felt had the most value and didn't for others. You cannot do them all - and for them, they have valued interior line less / missed on picks / traded away the one good guy we did have (not talking about cody ford)
    • Regardless of these failures this is something they probably should consider changing or trying to address again 
    • Their running scheme keeps trying to be zone when they do better as a gap team  
    • Singletary has done well enough

• Von Miller has been good 
    •  However, In his pursuit to drive and will the defense to greatness has impacted game discipline and we have gotten caught a few times not maintaining rush lanes and gotten burned for it - this was especially telling when they interviewed him about the Ravens game - the bills had huge success against the ravens / Lamar in previous big spots by being really disciplined with rush lanes - his comment was something to the effect of "I'm just going to do what I'm going to do and not worry about that" which was a bit of a head scratcher - I love his passion I hope we can get more and stay disciplined as much as possible

• Draft investment heavily on defense year after year has yielded a statistically good defense (#1 in stats)
    • At the expense of offensive talent, some of these projects have been going on too long -  Oliver, Epenesa, Basham - have not looked like they were worth their investments and this hurts us in key moments at times

• We are seeing the growing pains of a new offensive coordinator
    • None of us are in the headset, mind, planning of the team - but there is a lot of missed opportunities - a former player was talking about how second and 1 is the hardest down to defend because the whole playbook is open - today we had a few and instead of using the play action we just handed it off. I think we are seeing some growing pains with a new OC - I hope they figure it out 

• Tackling is something that continues to be a problem
    • Ever since Tampa Bay last year called us out as being a poor tackling defense, this seems to remain true - we are beat up, but seeing our guys bounce off people like the three stooges and big plays breaking is frustrating - we have a lot of injuries so hopefully that may be part of it

• Did we waste the Josh Allen Host streak?
    • This is the scariest thought for me, i'm sure it's just a slump, but he was so on fire up until the GB second half and don't get me wrong he still is amazing, but he has regressed to sugar high josh in the red zone which is totally unlike him over his career - he's trying to do a lot - how can they help him?
    •  I think they need to still be coaching him and maybe his success has made them more hands off - Belicheck never used kid gloves with brady - Josh knows what he has to do - but maybe he needs that steadying presence 

• We have enough Karma built up as a fan base we should be able to cash in for a super bowl at some point -
    • I mean how many crazy losses do we have to endure? I would almost argue that no other fan base has us in the heart breaking loss category

• We may not win the division
    • This one is gonna really burn some people I'm sure - but right now, Miami has a easier path and more consistent play and better offensive weapons then us at receiver - I really hope we can look back like this was just a bump in the road

• Our receivers have not lived up to the expectations placed on them
    • After the NE game mckenzie had 200 yard or something - i was high on him - he has his moments, but him and gabe have underwhelmed and in the Vikings interview (Peterson) the interceptions was based on tendencies and film study of Davis breaking inside and Allen always throws him the ball - we need to get ahead of ourselves and change these tendencies - we need to grow - As soon as he saw Davis break inside he dropped what he was doing and watched allen to get in there
Edited by Sharky7337

• Sharky7337 changed the title to Over reactions and thoughts on the team and game - vent thread -

Why is any reaction considered an over- reaction?  Some, actually many of these reactions I've read over the last few hours are pretty accurate. 

We need to calm Josh down and coach him up again on the value of the checkdown. Maybe it opens up deeper stuff later. Honestly I have no clue what to do with our run game until the offseason. This is not a top 5 defense with all these injuries. And the coaches have to do better. That's all I have, today was exhausting. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Sharky7337 changed the title to Reactions and thoughts on the team and game - vent thread -

Literally all the Bills needed to do in all 3 losses was to execute properly in the RZ when they had their chances.

That's it. Stop turning the f**king ball over. Stop treating taking care of the football as some secondary thing to taking chances and making plays.

Look, I'm not saying they are going to go into a tailspin and end up 9-8. It literally took everything the other teams had and the Bills to blow leads(2 of them big leads) and make mind numbing mistakes to lose, on the last possession of the game by 3 points or less. That isn't going to keep happening and the Bills can probably still win a lot of those games even if they did.

They are simply too talented to do that. They still have a 91% chance of making the playoffs but interestingly only a 48% chance of winning the division now(still highest of any of the teams...Miami is 35%, Jets 10%).

But stop making idiotic plays in the RZ and take the easy plays. Where are the designed runs for Allen like Daboll had down there? 

The team is too good for this to keep happening. They need to figure it out.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

• Sharky7337 changed the title to Reactions and thoughts on the team and game - post Minnesota loss
1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Literally all the Bills needed to do in all 3 losses was to execute properly in the RZ when they had their chances.

That's it. Stop turning the f**king ball over. Stop treating taking care of the football as some secondary thing to taking chances and making plays.

Look, I'm not saying they are going to go into a tailspin and end up 9-8. They are simply too talented to do that. They still have a 91% chance of making the playoffs but interestingly only a 48% chance of winning the division now(still highest of any of the teams...Miami is 35%, Jets 10%).

But stop making idiotic plays in the RZ and take the easy plays. Where are the designed runs for Allen like Daboll had down there? 

The team is too good for this to keep happening. They need to figure it out.

This is something i should have touched on for sure. Those turnover numbers have been really bad for us, even in the Rams game we had them.

1 minute ago, Sharky7337 said:

This is something i should have touched on for sure. Those turnover numbers have been really bad for us, even in the Rams game we had them.

They are. I mean how many teams are going to have 4 turnovers and lose in OT...to a 7-1 team? Most teams with 4 turnovers get blown out.

The bottom line is, the Bills beat themselves to a much larger degree than the other team actually beats them.

Edited by Big Turk

A bunch of you all week kept telling me the Minnesota game was the one we could “afford” to lose.  Well, it happened.  How it happened at this point does not matter anymore.  Hopefully a few lessons were learned along the way, but this is the same result had Case Keenum started and we lost 23-6.  

So the Bills need to start a new season next week. Start figuring out a way to grind out wins like Kansas City seems to do a lot. Stop outsmarting yourselves with 4th down call when a FG would be fine and take care of the gosh darn ball.

36 minutes ago, zow2 said:

A bunch of you all week kept telling me the Minnesota game was the one we could “afford” to lose.  Well, it happened.  How it happened at this point does not matter anymore.  Hopefully a few lessons were learned along the way, but this is the same result had Case Keenum started and we lost 23-6.  

So the Bills need to start a new season next week. Start figuring out a way to grind out wins like Kansas City seems to do a lot. Stop outsmarting yourselves with 4th down call when a FG would be fine and take care of the gosh darn ball.

Basically of the Bills can limit themselves to one TO a game they will pretty much be unbeatable.

As bad as the defense was, they did make two big goal-line stands at the biggest moments of the game. Either one of those stops should have been enough to win the game, and if they didn't make either of those stops, the game would have been over....in the end they did their job.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

McD has been conservative since he’s been here until recently.  Has he fallen in love with analytics now?  In his first few years, he would never have gone for it on that 4th down and would’ve kicked the FG.  If he did go for it, it would’ve been a run.  Now they throw a pass, which is intercepted and taken out 45 yards.  It was about the worst of all possible outcomes (INT for TD being worst) for that situation of 4th down at the 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

McD has been conservative since he’s been here until recently.  Has he fallen in love with analytics now?  In his first few years, he would never have gone for it on that 4th down and would’ve kicked the FG.  If he did go for it, it would’ve been a run.  Now they throw a pass, which is intercepted and taken out 45 yards.  It was about the worst of all possible outcomes (INT for TD being worst) for that situation of 4th down at the 2.

I mean going for it makes it a 3 score game which I'm  OK with 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.