Trump setting sights on Ground Zero

duey

Not that I'm disagreeing.... but once you rebuild the towers even taller (as some of you suggest), who ya gonna get to rent/buy office space on the top 10 or 20 floors?

As long as there's some significant monument for the victims, I am happy with Trump's plan.

339619[/snapback]

I still say the best monument to 9/11 is to rebuild useful space on the spot, rather than turn it into some maudlin 60-acre park-cum-statues and send the message that whatever people knock down, we'll leave knocked down.

A memorial to the victims, however...that's another thing. Personally, I favor the idea of an outdoor atrium central to the rebuilt buildings with granite-sheathed walls with the name of each victim of 9/11 engraved into it, like the Vietnam Memorial. In the center of the atrium, a bronze statue of the well-known picture of the firemen raising the flag.

They'd never do it, though, because it would offend someone, somewhere. Probably a handful of Vietnam Vets who think they own the very concept of engraved granite since their memorial went up, and three families of victims who think building anything on that site is a cardinal sin.

Not that I'm disagreeing.... but once you rebuild the towers even taller (as some of you suggest), who ya gonna get to rent/buy office space on the top 10 or 20 floors?

339658[/snapback]

There's an aesthetic issue with building them taller, too: namely, that they tower so high over everything else they make the skyline look very unbalanced, even ugly.

There was one plan I recall that had four 80-story towers on the site that would have made for a very pleasant skyline, a good deal of office space (more than the original WTC, from what I understand), and a good amount of open area besides. Naturally, since that design made a lot of sense, they chose something else... 0:)