Jerry Rice

I just read about the Jerry Rice fax fiasco. You know? The fax that was sent out to all 32 teams of the NFL by Rice's agent pleading anyone to sign him.

It got me thinking. Obviously, Jerry Rice isn't going to be a #1 or a #2 anywhere. He just wants to play. I think Buffalo would be the perfect situation for him. Before you all go insane, call me stupid, and flame me in every way possible; hear me out.

Jerry Rice will be signed by a team for his leadership and what he can teach. He's going to be signed by a team that has young WR's. With the exception of Moulds, all of our guys (Evans, Parrish, Smith, and Aiken) are VERY young. It would be GOLDEN for them to learn from the best in the game. Not to mention, he's Eric Moulds' mentor. He trained Moulds prior to his drafting and may still be working out with him. J.P. Losman could learn a lot from Jerry Rice as well. A young QB still learning his craft? Who better to show him the in's and out's of a QB/WR relationship?

Not to mention, if called upon in that #4 WR role; Jerry Rice will not drop a ball. It's not like he's Eddie George and completely shot. He may be ancient, but he can still ball.

So what harm could come of signing him to be mentor to the young WR's, play no higher than #4 on the depth chart, and play for little money? If the guy just wants to play, Buffalo is the perfect place for Jerry to land!

So what harm could come of signing him to be mentor to the young WR's, play no higher than #4 on the depth chart, and play for little money? If the guy just wants to play, Buffalo is the perfect place for Jerry to land!

339389[/snapback]

Takes reps from guys that have a better upside

Not flaming but I think Moulds and the decent coaches we now have can provide the necessary leadership. Other than that I can not really see him being any real improvement either in the short or longer term (lack of production from Reed and Aiken not withstanding).

Not flaming but I think Moulds and the decent coaches we now have can provide the necessary leadership. Other than that I can not really see him being any real improvement either in the short or longer term (lack of production from Reed and Aiken not withstanding).

339406[/snapback]

I'd have to disagree with you there.

Even in his 40's, Jerry Rice is just as fast as Josh Reed and Sam Aiken. The difference is, Jerry Rice can actually catch a ball.

He'd be cheaper and could help out Evans, Parrish, Losman, and who ever wins the last WR spot on the roster.

I'd have to disagree with you there.

Even in his 40's, Jerry Rice is just as fast as Josh Reed and Sam Aiken. The difference is, Jerry Rice can actually catch a ball.

He'd be cheaper and could help out Evans, Parrish, Losman, and who ever wins the last WR spot on the roster.

339409[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind it if he was going to play for league minimum and get no signing bonus, but I am not sure he is willing to do that and I have this feeling that neither party really wants the other.

If Rice could still ball and/or teach younger receivers, there's no way in hell Seattle lets him go.  Think about it.

339405[/snapback]

There's nothing more he can teach their guys. They already run crisp, precise routes, have excellent hands, and are known for their big play ability in crunch time.

even if he plays for "league minimum"... that is too much. Do you know what the league minimum is for a 20 year veteran??? WAY TOO MUCH for a #4 or #5 WR that won't play special teams. no one will sign him because of this reason... many teams would want him, I'm sure... but the NFL is a $$ numbers game, and a 20 yr veteran costs too much for what little they bring to the table.

not a great idea.......if jerry goes anywhere, it will be to play the #3 WR spot........obviously there isn't a vacancy for that in BUF.......

#4 and #5 WR's hold the most value on special teams.......jerry isn't an option there, thus doesn't have much worth as a #4 or #5 guy........

In case you haven't noticed, Jerry Rice (as good as he has been) is about one thing....Jerry Rice.

He has stated he wants to be a #1 or #2 receiver wherever he goes. He can't be that here.

I know everyone likes a good opportunity to slam Josh Reed but using Jerry Rice as an excuse is a reach.

Reed had one prominent drop that I remember. The flea flicker in what turned out to be a 31-0 win. It hardly changed the complexion of the game. He (like every other receiver in the game) has dropped others, some of which probably should have been caught. Big deal. Outside of a few miracle grabs by Campbell, how many completions did the Bills have in the middle of the field the last few years? Not many. A very high % of the completions were to the outside. We have a new QB now. Maybe we'll be able to use that part of the field again. Whether it's Reed, Parrish or even Aiken, I'll take my chances versus Rice at this point in his career.

even if he plays for "league minimum"... that is too much.  Do you know what the league minimum is for a 20 year veteran???  WAY TOO MUCH for a #4 or #5 WR that won't play special teams.  no one will sign him because of this reason... many teams would want him, I'm sure... but the NFL is a $$ numbers game, and a 20 yr veteran costs too much for what little they bring to the table.

339429[/snapback]

I think the vet min is like 750,000, but only 425 counts agaisnt the cap

In case you haven't noticed, Jerry Rice (as good as he has been) is about one thing....Jerry Rice.

He has stated he wants to be a #1 or #2 receiver wherever he goes.  He can't be that here. 

I know everyone likes a good opportunity to slam Josh Reed but using Jerry Rice as an excuse is a reach.

Reed had one prominent drop that I remember.  The flea flicker in what turned out to be a 31-0 win.  It hardly changed the complexion of the game.  He (like every other receiver in the game) has dropped others, some of which probably should have been caught.  Big deal.  Outside of a few miracle grabs by Campbell, how many completions did the Bills have in the middle of the field the last few years?  Not many.  A very high % of the completions were to the outside.  We have a new  QB now.  Maybe we'll be able to use that part of the field again.  Whether it's Reed, Parrish or even Aiken, I'll take my chances versus Rice at this point in his career.

339438[/snapback]

You've made a believer out of me.

Scratch Rice; it seemed like a good idea at the time. But I do believe that with Moulds, Evans, and Parrish; Reed must go.

I just read about the Jerry Rice fax fiasco. You know? The fax that was sent out to all 32 teams of the NFL by Rice's agent pleading anyone to sign him.

It got me thinking. Obviously, Jerry Rice isn't going to be a #1 or a #2 anywhere. He just wants to play. I think Buffalo would be the perfect situation for him. Before you all go insane, call me stupid, and flame me in every way possible; hear me out.

Jerry Rice will be signed by a team for his leadership and what he can teach. He's going to be signed by a team that has young WR's. With the exception of Moulds, all of our guys (Evans, Parrish, Smith, and Aiken) are VERY young. It would be GOLDEN for them to learn from the best in the game. Not to mention, he's Eric Moulds' mentor. He trained Moulds prior to his drafting and may still be working out with him. J.P. Losman could learn a lot from Jerry Rice as well. A young QB still learning his craft? Who better to show him the in's and out's of a QB/WR relationship?

Not to mention, if called upon in that #4 WR role; Jerry Rice will not drop a ball. It's not like he's Eddie George and completely shot. He may be ancient, but he can still ball.

339389[/snapback]

Right and he'll pick a different number while on this roster. Or we cut Moulds.