What We Learned Week 8

corta765

NFL: As we have seen passing attacks fall back this year rushing attacks have come back a little bit as a focal point. For the first time since 2012 four running backs are pacing for a pace of 90 ypg or better (Henry, Chubb, Barkley, Jacobs). Three of those four teams have relatively modest passing attacks (putting it nicely) so the onus has been on moving the ground to gain yards. Henry is on pace for 1800 yds himself which is wild, but the other three are not far behind either. The 2019 Bills were actually the 8th highest rushing team in the NFL that year which certainly helped with Josh's development and it was not all Josh's running either as Singletary and Gore combined for 1374 yards on their own. With the current changes on defense to limit big play attacks and many new young faces at QB trying to find their way I would not be surprised if for the next 2-3 years you see a little more emphasis on dynamic rushing attacks especially with the availability of good running backs outside of the 1st round.

AFC:

BAL- They are 5-3 but seem to take the difficult route in every game. The second half though they did seem to truly find themselves running the ball and they put up 27 pts. Bateman out hurts as he has been good when in, but maybe they are turning the corner here... maybe.

BUF- Second half wasn't great but they struck me as not really carrying as long as they go the win and more toying with GB. Still the 2nd INT while I know Josh says was supposed to be a throw away he needs to put in the stand to get the points. 

CIN- They failed big time on Monday Night to prove in their first test they can be ok without Chase for a bit. More concerning was Burrow turning into sacks again

CLE- At 3-5 they have at MIA, at BUF, TB after the bye. They basically need to go 2-1 to keep any playoff hopes alive, although the defense finally came alive last night which has been missing all year.

DEN- Chubb gone weakens what has been a good defense, but the 1st round pick is huge to get back and 4th. Not sure the weekends result does that much for DEN as 3-5 means they basically need to still run a 7-2 record the rest of the way which is tough considering their schedule.

HOU- Battle red helmets are coming Thursday when they face PHI and my bet is they push PHI harder then people expect. Still this offense needs a lot of work come the offseason not just at QB but more skill position talent in general.

IND- Tough loss at home to Washington ruins an opportunity to get above .500 when the final AFC wildcard spot looks pretty open. Ehlinger was fine, maybe they run him a little the next few weeks.

JAX- Trevor Lawrence has shown growth this year but the INT at the goal line is a major no no. The last four games have all been late one score losses, I bet they end up with a few Ws the back half here to reverse that.

KC- The Chiefs were on a bye this week so here is a fun stat. Travis Kelce is 10th in receiving yards despite being a TE and playing one less game. The dude is a beast and to me the real difference in the KC offense.

LAC- Also on a bye which gives the Chargers some needed time to rest up. They start off the be on the road back to back ATL/SF before hosting the Chiefs the following week. Splitting that road split is a must for their playoff and slim division hopes.

MIA- Chubb is a nice addition to their D that will allow them to send less men on rushes, but their offensive line is still an issue that is not fixed.

NE- The Pats won basically because Zach Wilson couldn’t stop turning the ball over. The Jets sacked Jones 6 times and outgained NE 387-288. The media can try and prop up the Pats as a thing but the underlying numbers are not nearly as generous.

NYJ- Honestly this is a quasi 2014 Bills team in 2022. Good defense, some WRs, and at points they can run the ball with a struggling young QB. Patience is small these days with rookie QBs as is, but Wilson has done nothing this year to show he has made even a small stride of growth.

PIT- Claypool is gone but they got a 2nd to use this year as the Steelers quietly admit it’s a rebuild. Talent is needed across the board as even when JJ Watt returns they do not have enough horses in many areas.

RAIDERS- Derek Carr should start packing his stuff up for a new location next year. No way the Raiders do not go for a young QB in next years draft.

TEN- Tight win again but it was a 5th straight. I mentioned Derrick Henry is on an insane pace again, but take a look at Denico Autry who has 5 sacks for the Titans whose front four has been big in setting the tone.

NFC

ARZ- The offense got to form on Sunday but their defense is so leaky across the board and got exposed badly. The turnovers are not coming for the defense like last year to bail them out and against the pass they are bottom 10 in the league. Time is running out to stay alive in the NFC playoff race.

ATL- They are 1st in the NFC South like everyone thought, but the key to their success is a rushing attack which is running at a clip of nearly 160 yards per game.

CAR- The NFL is a killer in things that ruin the game. DJ Moore makes a 60 yard TD catch maybe the best he ever has and in celebration takes off his helmet. Didn’t throw it or anything just pure excitement… 15 yard penalty. Say what you want about the rules but this was pathetic and made chip shot finish into an actually tough kick that was missed.

CHI- Claypool should give Fields a needed target with hands, but just let the kid keep running and making plays. He is starting to look like the best QB from the 21 draft, has a little Allen vibes with his play making.

DAL- 29 points allowed is no Bueno, but the offense is awakening and they need to keep feeding Pollard.

DET- Another loss because they are the Lions as they blew a big lead at home. Trading Hock is worse though and how bad teams stay bad. You traded a core piece that would’ve helped next years rookie QB for draft picks that you don’t hit on regularly.

GB- Another loss and too little too late on offense. More and more Rodgers probably regrets not retiring or leaving and the Packers missed the opportunity to start fresh faster.

LAR- They can’t make a trade because they have mortgaged too much in prior years so their roster drifts painfully with holes all over that are not being lifted by their big names.

MIN- 6-1 and rolling, but I honestly do not think anyone truly buys them as a true contender because of Cousins. The guy just feels like such a paper tiger and has so little done to prove otherwise.

NOLA- 3-5 the division is not that far away as after the Ravens Monday they are at PIT and then host the Rams. If they have any hope of keeping a season alive they need to win two of three.

NYG- Barkley was held in check on 20 runs for just 53 yards on the day and the Giants offense stalled because of it. Still they should be ok for the wildcard at this point.

PHI- This is why when AJ Brown was traded everyone was confused for the Titans. He is a game changing WR who has helped elevate Hurts and the entire offense to a different place.

SEA- Don’t look now but the Seahawks lead the NFC West and the defense is starting to come together allowing a total of 45 pts in the last three weeks after allowing 147 pts in the prior 5 weeks.

SF- C Mac looked to bring out the best in Jimmy G and if they can stay around that level they may be the toughest out come playoff time in the NFC.

TB- It feels like it is ok to say that maybe they will not turn it around despite having Brady at QB who has regressed some. Say what you want about the defense but they have still only allowed 151 pts which is around 19 a game. If the offense can ever get itself together they actually might be pretty decent.

WSH- Rivera has them playing hard and they seem to like playing for Taylor Heinicke. Still with MIN and at PHI back to back reality may sink in soon that they are just not good enough.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Good stuff Corta.  Was surprised by the Raiders getting shut out by a pretty average Saints team led by the Red Rifle.  But Carr isn't winning you anything.  And has been over hyped his entire career.  

Have to be impressed by Geno Smith.  The guy has really turned things around.  And plays with a lot of passion.  I did not like him early in his career.  But have to give it up to him for keeping his mojo thru pretty much a lost first decade of his career.  If EJ Manuel had Geno's passion for the game, he might still be playing.  

As for the Vikings and Cousins.  No reason we don't make Kirk part of the Ralph turf.  He plays scared on the road.  And I don't see that changing coming into Buffalo. 

The G Men have some heart.  But that will only get you so far.  Kudos for Dabol in getting the most out of them.  But it can be painful watching Daniel Jones play QB. 

Don't blame the NFL for the Panthers losing.  Blame their kicker. 

Bottom line.  As long as the Bills don't lose most of their starters including Josh Allen to injury late in the season, we are the favorite to win the Lombardi.   

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Good stuff Corta.  Was surprised by the Raiders getting shut out by a pretty average Saints team led by the Red Rifle.  But Carr isn't winning you anything.  And has been over hyped his entire career.  

Have to be impressed by Geno Smith.  The guy has really turned things around.  And plays with a lot of passion.  I did not like him early in his career.  But have to give it up to him for keeping his mojo thru pretty much a lost first decade of his career.  If EJ Manuel had Geno's passion for the game, he might still be playing.  

As for the Vikings and Cousins.  No reason we don't make Kirk part of the Ralph turf.  He plays scared on the road.  And I don't see that changing coming into Buffalo. 

The G Men have some heart.  But that will only get you so far.  Kudos for Dabol in getting the most out of them.  But it can be painful watching Daniel Jones play QB. 

Don't blame the NFL for the Panthers losing.  Blame their kicker. 

Bottom line.  As long as the Bills don't lose most of their starters including Josh Allen to injury late in the season, we are the favorite to win the Lombardi.   

How do you allow Adams to have 1 catch for 3 yards if you are the Raiders?  What's the point of trading for him if that's what you are doing with him?

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

How do you allow Adams to have 1 catch for 3 yards if you are the Raiders?  What's the point of trading for him if that's what you are doing with him?

It is funny with the Pack Adams was almost targeted too much as it caused Rodgers to forget to look at other WRs but I get it because his production was wild. The Raiders for a very bad reason have chosen the inverse of this.

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Raiders Fans are sick and tired of Derek Carr apparently not throwing to WR's. Warning, NSFW

I mean it really has always been that it's not Derek's fault and that he needs a team around him, well he has a team now. 🤷‍♂️

I am really disappointed in the rest of the AFC West, all three teams hyped all offseason and they are just hot garbage looking like KC is just going to sweep the whole division.

On 11/2/2022 at 1:23 PM, Big Turk said:

And how do you get shut out by a pretty marginal New Orleans team?  And then lose to Jacksonville up by 3 scores?  I heard the Raiders have lost 3 games already this year where they were up by at least 17 points.  Good god that is awful.  I was watching a 30 for 30 the other nite about Al Davis vs the NFL and Pete Rozelle.  Great story.  I grew up watching the Raiders when they were a dominant franchise.  Was never a big fan of there's.  But respected how good they were.  And the fear they brought to the field.  Thank god Al Davis doesn't have to see how weak of a team they are today.  

28 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

And how do you get shut out by a pretty marginal New Orleans team?  And then lose to Jacksonville up by 3 scores?  I heard the Raiders have lost 3 games already this year where they were up by at least 17 points.  Good god that is awful.  I was watching a 30 for 30 the other nite about Al Davis vs the NFL and Pete Rozelle.  Great story.  I grew up watching the Raiders when they were a dominant franchise.  Was never a big fan of there's.  But respected how good they were.  And the fear they brought to the field.  Thank god Al Davis doesn't have to see how weak of a team they are today.  

Agreed on the Raiders on Davis. Rich Gannons Raiders were a favorite of mine for a while and up and through that time you knew what you were getting with the Raiders. His son cannot replace Al's footsteps, but the team itself seems rudderless again as Gruden was the driving force and he is gone.

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

Agreed on the Raiders on Davis. Rich Gannons Raiders were a favorite of mine for a while and up and through that time you knew what you were getting with the Raiders. His son cannot replace Al's footsteps, but the team itself seems rudderless again as Gruden was the driving force and he is gone.

You know your football Corta.  Rich Gannon was a very solid player.  Got the most out of his ability and his career.  That Raider toughness from yesteryear is no longer part of their mantra.

18 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

You know your football Corta.  Rich Gannon was a very solid player.  Got the most out of his ability and his career.  That Raider toughness from yesteryear is no longer part of their mantra.

Thanks appreciated. The way people talk about how baseball had a mythological quality to it is how I grew up with football and I think part of that was the Bills being so good and not winning and the subsequent drought time that made all those good times seem like a distant past. Games like NFL QB Club 99 or Madden had things where you could play as old teams or player or revisit SB matchups. I got hooked big time with that and mixed with the Bills still decent it was an addicting thing while a little mythical too. 

There is a generation that doesn't understand the Raiders and Washington were both juggernauts basically forever and they wanted to punch you in the teeth every time they played. Really really hardnose teams that had games with bloodbaths. When the Raiders lost* to the Pats in 01 I was beside myself (it was a forward pass), I think that team actually was superior to the following year. Al was like Ralph and both needed to step aside soo much earlier and it cost both of them their last decade plus as owners especially as the league transitioned from a balanced type offense to a spread passing attack that limited what a defense can do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.