Ruben Brown

I was thinking about the improved line play last year and I think cutting Ruben Brown was a big part in it. It seemed like the Bills were penalized alot less last season than previous seasons. (This might be my imagination, as I have no stats to back it up). Cutting Ruben Brown was a big part of this IMO. It seemed like so much of his time with the Bills I would hear either "Holding #79 offense or false start #79 offense". Also Ross Tucker was pretty solid at LG IMO. I know this team signed Villariall ( I'm sure I spelled it wrong), but opposing defenses use to love to go up against the Bills interior offensive line, however I do this was the case. Anyway I guess what I am wondering is if others agree that the loss of Ruben was a big part of the improoved o-line play. I know the additions of McNally and Villariall were huge. Please do not include the fact that Ruben went to Pro Bowls. Reputation has SO much to do with this, as Zach Thomas has been to several Pro Bowls.

I think a big part of the reason we were flagged a lot less last year it seemed anyway I don't have anything to back that up is because we began to employ refs in practices. Something that Herm Edwards of the Jets was the first coach to start doing.

With that said I think cutting ruben brown was done only because of his contract, and the fact you can't have profesional players blowing up at coaches without some sort of punishment. Our YPC suffered without brown. Say what you want about old turnstile, but he's a heck of a run blocker. More than I can say for our lg by committee last season. Bennie Anderson should be the soultion to that problem

I was thinking about the improved line play last year and I think cutting Ruben Brown was a big part in it. It seemed like the Bills were penalized alot less last season than previous seasons. (This might be my imagination, as I have no stats to back it up). Cutting Ruben Brown was a big part of this IMO. It seemed like so much of his time with the Bills I would hear either "Holding #79 offense or false start #79 offense". Also Ross Tucker was pretty solid at LG IMO. I know this team signed Villariall ( I'm sure I spelled it wrong), but opposing defenses use to love to go up against the Bills interior offensive line, however I do this was the case. Anyway I guess what I am wondering is if others agree that the loss of Ruben was a big part of the improoved o-line play. I know the additions of McNally and Villariall were huge. Please do not include the fact that Ruben went to Pro Bowls. Reputation has SO much to do with this, as Zach Thomas has been to several Pro Bowls.

338004[/snapback]

I'm with you. Ruben had conspicuously lost 30 0r so pounds, or so it looked in his final year with the Bills. On pass plays, it was sad to see him tossed around, more sad for the qbs. On runs, he was a little more effective, but at least some of this was due to defenders going after the qb on virtually every play.

I for one appreciate what Ruben did for the Bills in his career. He played his ass off and never lined up next to a standout left tackle. He was also said to be active in the community.

In the end however, he was done and cutting him was appropriate, and a positive move in the football sense.

338004[/snapback]

Interestingly, according to Baltimore fans, Bennie Anderson was the flag magnet on the Ravens offensive line(no offense to Orlando Brown of course). It's tough sitting in the stands through all the timeouts and stoppages of play without the dumb penalties, but with them it becomes unenjoyable. Maybe McNally thinks he can help the guy, but then maybe they just didn't get who they wanted and didn't want to go small at LG again.

Interestingly, according to Baltimore fans, Bennie Anderson was the flag magnet on the Ravens offensive line(no offense to Orlando Brown of course).  It's tough sitting in the stands through all the timeouts and stoppages of play without the dumb penalties, but with them it becomes unenjoyable.  Maybe McNally thinks he can help the guy, but then maybe they just didn't get who they wanted and didn't want to go small at LG again.

338122[/snapback]

Thanks for your insights on Bennie Anderson. The thing with false start penalties is that they are completely and totally about discipline. The holding penalties are more troublesome, as I am not completely sure what constitutes holding, as I hear holding could be called on just about every play.

Bennie Anderson, with McNally's tutelage, is going to be a huge - literally - addition to our line. He is going to be a road grader in front of Willis, and will probably mean we can go left as well as right.