Sign of the Times

My youngest daughter (17) graduates from high school later this month.

Looking at the events listed for the graduation ceremony, I see that 6 of the 10 female students that will be heading the individual events in the ceremony are named "Ashley". :D

337613[/snapback]

Are the other 4 Mary Kate?

Looking at the events listed for the graduation ceremony, I see that 6 of the 10 female students that will be heading the individual events in the ceremony are named "Ashley".

A sign of the apocalypse

It seems to me most parents today like to give their kids unique names to the point that they are becoming almost cliche. 20 years from now if your name is John, Mark, Jim, etc that will be a unique name

Looking at the events listed for the graduation ceremony, I see that 6 of the 10 female students that will be heading the individual events in the ceremony are named "Ashley". :D

337613[/snapback]

Ashley is now the 8th most popular name for girls. What surprises me is that Isabella and Abigail are more popular.

I understand that "Kaitlen" has fallen from favor. I read an article in my local paper a few weeks ago - Emily and Jacob are the hot tickets these days.

My Grandmother's name was Ida - her sisters were Ada, Edna, and Bertha (my Mom's name). My Dad's mom was Henrietta - and she was a Class A hellion..:D

It seems to me most parents today like to give their kids unique names to the point that they are becoming almost cliche.  20 years from now if your name is John, Mark, Jim, etc that will be a unique name

337638[/snapback]

My daughter's Pre-K features 3 Jonathans (and 2 Benjamins). I wouldn't say that just yet. There are trendy names that come and go, some based on pop culture, but the mainstays keep plugging along...

Ashley is now the 8th most popular name for girls. What surprises me is that Isabella and Abigail are more popular.

337651[/snapback]

We named our daughter Emily, completely oblivious to the fact it was the #1 most popular name. She has two other Emilys in her class.

:D

Had we had a boy, I'd have named him Joseph to keep the fourth generation in line with the previous three.

Had we had a boy, I'd have named him Joseph to keep the fourth generation in line with the previous three.

337733[/snapback]

Would you pass on your snazzy technicolor dreamcoat, upon his 16th birthday ?

The future of America is going to sound like one big Kappa sorority mixer filled with girls that have snobby "cool" girl names like Abbey, Ashley and Caitlyn.

I think some parents name their kids with these "hip" names in order to make themselves seem cooler for some reason.

I understand that "Kaitlen" has fallen from favor. I read an article in my local paper a few weeks ago - Emily and Jacob are the hot tickets these days.

My Grandmother's name was Ida - her sisters were Ada, Edna, and Bertha (my Mom's name). My Dad's mom was Henrietta - and she was a Class A hellion..:D

337691[/snapback]

I can't hear the name 'Henrietta' without thinking of The New Zoo Review!

:lol:

Ok, Miami (Latino) Perspective here. If you ever hear George Lopez do stand up, he always makes up the best "white" names when he does imitations. A few of my favs: Sage and Duncan.