Teacher Taped Student's Mouth Shut

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We work two jobs, we're never home, the schools have to take some responsibility for our children's upbringing...."

"...but you disciplined my child?  How dare you!  You're not responsible for my child's upbringing!"

:D

337570[/snapback]

Bingo, we have today's winner!!!

forty years ago the teacher would have brought out a paddle and whacked the kid on the ass, which would have effectively shut him up. This would be considered standard operating procedure for disruptive students.

337546[/snapback]

Don't have to go back that far. A few of us got in trouble in shop class for chatting during a movie and when the movie was over, the teacher had the three of us put the contents of our pockets on one side of the table, go to the other side of the table and reach for the contents while he slammed the fug out of our asses with a wooden paddleball racket. Ten times each. Couldn't sit down afterward.

Tell my father about it?

Yeah, right. Sound thinking there.

Don't have to go back that far. A few of us got in trouble in shop class for chatting during a movie and when the movie was over, the teacher had the three of us put the contents of our pockets on one side of the table, go to the other side of the table and reach for the contents while he slammed the fug out of our asses with a wooden paddleball racket. Ten times each. Couldn't sit down afterward.

Tell my father about it?

337857[/snapback]

My dad's response would've been something like: "Only TEN? Did he get tired because there were three of you or are there some to be named later?"

Tell my father about it?

337857[/snapback]

Exactly, I would rather take a paddling from the principal in school than let my dad find out. Getting introduced to the "right hand of god" was no fun.

Im only 35 and I remember sitting in classrooms where several of us had tape over our mouths. It did not cause any harm. It was step 3 for us after 2 warnings. And if my dad found out about it when I got home he spanked my butt for giving the teacher a hard time. I went to college to teach, but could not be part of the education system as it exists to day, or better yet does not exist. Teachers are powerless to do anything that has real teeth to it, and parents are so quick to defend their precious youngins that they are complicating the problem. I thank my mom and dad for careful but direct discipline. I was never abused, but I know the sting of the belt. I thank my elementary teachers for having the paddle in the corner and the guts to use it and stand up to parents who would spoil their kids rotten. I thank administrators of days gone by who had the stones to stand behind a teacher with permissive parents screaming in their faces. Put tape over my sons mouth if he is disrupting the class now, and he will learn not to disrupt society. They ought to put duct tape over the mouths of a few lawyers and beat their asses with paddles for the current state of education in America.

The reaction on TSW interests me. I don't have kids so its hard to say what I would do (early on in my relationship with my wife of 15+ years one ofus mentioned (we are pretty sure it was me) that I fully expected to have kids one day because it would be a wonderful thing to share with the woman I loved, but left to my own devices I really had little desire to be a parent. My wife-to-be (though we had no idea at the time) said that she actually felt the same way. The conversation then turned to other important things like our latest class assignment or this weekend's party as this conversation had nothing to do with us as a pair. Fast forward 5 or so years and she asked me whether I remembered a conversation we had way back when about having kids. I said I sure do. She asked if I still felt the same way (now that it was clear that parenting conversations were about us). I said I sure felt the same way. Dhe said good and about three years later we got married).

At any rate, the reactions of folks which seems virtually unanimous that taping the kids mouth shut was a fine thing to do I actually think back to my parents.

If a teacher taped my mouth shut and kept me that way for virtually any lengthy time, I'm pretty sure one of my parents (probably my Mom) would have come down to the school when she heard about it and kicked the tar (or at least read the riot act if she thought she might get arrested) out of the teacher.

The she would have went home and if she thought I had mouthed off or acted up and deserved it, kicked the snot out of me.

One of the things I loved about my parents is that while they certainly would have been all for an adult hitting me to stop me from hurting another kid or from hurting myself, if any outsider (teachers and camp coumselors were certainly in loco parentis (in the place of parents) bu they definitely were not my parents. If a teacher or a counselor had the temerity to adminster force to me beyond what was necessary to protect another from me or to protect me from immediate harm. Mom would have fought like a lion in defense of her kid.

My parents had no trouble with swatting me to correct an immediate issue or even administering planned corporal punishment to adminiater a big lesson (I plated hookey from school once and I got spanked with the belt once the one correction was all that was necessary).

For the most part, I'm just happy as heck that none of you who seem to feel fimne about an outsider administering plannd or lengthy physical punishment were not my parents. I think that Mom had to lower the boom on me only once not because I was a good kid (a lot of my juvenile life without heavy interaction with the cops probably involved not getting caught) but because I knew that though she contenanced physical correction, I also knew she would go to wall for her kids and there was no question of it being OK for an outside party to adminster more than a corrective swat without my parents protecting me.

My parents would and did administer longer than a quick episode of physical punishment or interaction with me be it a teacher or sexual pedophile.

I mostly feel sorry for the kids of you parents who seem to feel fine about others having more than fleeting physical interaction with your kids.

When I was a kid, not only would my mouth have been taped shut, my father would have beat the living crap out of me when I got home for making it necessary.  God forbid we should punish the little darlings in any way; they never do anything wrong...

In other news...I heard this morning that crystal meth use is up something like 50% in the past 12 months.  I'm sure that's only coincidental...  :doh:

337512[/snapback]

It's funny that parents want to say...when i was a kid...I would have...blah blah blahh

Teachers are there to teach. Not to parent. Maybe you should do a better job being a parent and teachers wouldn't have to parent. And I don't mean beating your kids...

In other news....I heard that child abuse leads to child abuse leads to child abuse leads to child abuse leads to violence leads to violence leads to child abuse leads to bad kids that need their mouths taped shut leads to....

The reaction on TSW interests me. I don't have kids so its hard to say what I would do (early on in my relationship with my wife of 15+ years one ofus mentioned (we are pretty sure it was me) that I fully expected to have kids one day because it would be a wonderful thing to share with the woman I loved, but left to my own devices I really had little desire to be a parent.  My wife-to-be (though we had no idea at the time) said that she actually felt the same way. The conversation then turned to other important things like our latest class assignment or this weekend's party as this conversation had nothing to do with us as a pair. Fast forward 5 or so years and she asked me whether I remembered a conversation we had way back when about having kids. I said I sure do. She asked if I still felt the same way (now that it was clear that parenting conversations were about us).  I said I sure felt the same way.  Dhe said good and about three years later we got married).

At any rate, the reactions of folks which seems virtually unanimous that taping the kids mouth shut was a fine thing to do I actually think back to my parents.

If a teacher taped my mouth shut and kept me that way for virtually any lengthy time, I'm pretty sure one of my parents (probably my Mom) would have come down to the school when she heard about it and kicked the tar (or at least read the riot act if she thought she might get arrested) out of the teacher.

The she would have went home and if she thought I had mouthed off or acted up and deserved it, kicked the snot out of me.

One of the things I loved about my parents is that while they certainly would have been all for an adult hitting me to stop me from hurting another kid or from hurting myself, if any outsider (teachers and camp coumselors were certainly in loco parentis (in the place of parents) bu they definitely were not my parents.  If a teacher or a counselor had the temerity to adminster force to me beyond what was necessary to protect another from me or to protect me from immediate harm. Mom would have fought like a lion in defense of her kid.

My parents had no trouble with swatting me to correct an immediate issue or even administering planned corporal punishment to adminiater a big lesson (I plated hookey from school once and I got spanked with the belt once the one correction was all that was necessary).

For the most part, I'm just happy as heck that none of you who seem to feel fimne about an outsider administering plannd or lengthy physical punishment were not my parents.  I think that Mom had to lower the boom on me only once not because I was a good kid (a lot of my juvenile life without heavy interaction with the cops probably involved not getting caught) but because I knew that though she contenanced physical correction, I also knew she would go to wall for her kids and there was no question of it being OK for an outside party to adminster more than a corrective swat without my parents protecting me.

My parents would and did administer longer than a quick episode of physical punishment or interaction with me be it a teacher or sexual pedophile.

I mostly feel sorry for the kids of you parents who seem to feel fine about others having more than fleeting physical interaction with your kids.

337990[/snapback]

Clap, clap!

Teachers are there to teach. Not to parent. Maybe you should do a better job being a parent and teachers wouldn't have to parent. And I don't mean beating your kids...

338036[/snapback]

Don't tell me, I agree with you (save the "beating your kids" part. I think an occasional good beating is a healthy thing). Though it used to be that if a kid needed discipline at school, the school was empowered to discipline the kid. Now...too many parents are too willing to push off that responsibility to the schools, while simultaneously criticizing the school for taking the responsibility.

That really just proves how backwards our society is, where everyone has to be licensed by the government to drive a motor vehicle...but any two morons with working and compatible reproductive organs can try to raise a responsible human being on a whim...

Being only 21 I can't realy relate to any of this old time story stuff. With that said......

I've heard it all from my parents, how they're parents would lay down the law, give them strict discipline when it was waranted. However also knowing my grandparents if some "adult" and I use that term loosely dared to hit one of their kids that person would've been beaten like a red headed step child and rightfully so.

Not knowing all the facts of the story, I can't place blame, other than on the teacher, for putting his hands on a child. When that is simply defined as child abuse. As he is not that kids parent. I can say when i do have kids one day if anyone who isn't me or their mother lays a hand on my child, I'd take them to the woodshed and wouldn't think twice about it regardless of why they took that course of action with My child.

With that said, I hope to raise my children one day to know right from wrong, to respect their teachers and other classmates, but to also have enough common sense to know not to lay down, to be able to stand up for themselves, and never under any circumstances feel threatned by someone who is there simply to teach the required curriculum, not to harm my child in any way deemed innapropriate, physically,verbally or sexually.

I knew a kid when I was growing up that was never disciplined at all by his parents.  "Kids will be kids."  "Oh, if we yell at him, it'll just hurt his self-esteem."  "He's a little angel, he never does anything wrong."

Well...last I heard, after a teenage career of petty burglary and arson, he's doing a 10-year stretch in Florida on felony drug charges.  :doh: But he's still a little angel, I'm sure...

337556[/snapback]

There was a kid in Amherst (elementary school daze), no one ever intervened to save his ass. About 15 years ago he burned down a house in Amherst with his girlfriend inside of it. I guess he is still sitting in the clink.

:doh:

I think a lot of you remember a 2 inch strip of scotch tape across your lips, which is alot more figurative than restrictive action. This teacher went completely around the kids head about 10 times creating layers. Way out of line.

My mind set is this. If discipline is necessary, I will administer it at home. No one on this earth has the right to touch my child in anger or corrective action. Police, teachers, no-one. If there is a problem, call me and I will deal with the scenerio.

This teacher should be fired, if the only way they can deal with a talkative child is to tape their head like a mummy. Teachers are trained to deal with disruptive behaviors in college and the districts publish guidelines. Good quality teachers are aware and skilled at how to deal with these scenerios without resorting to abusive behavior.

My mind set is this. If discipline is necessary, I will administer it at home.

338116[/snapback]

That's all well and good, but what about the idiots who refuse to disapline their kids. Does my kid's education have to suffer because the teacher isn't allow to do anything about the little brat who continues to disrupt class?

My brother teaches 7th & 8th graders, but it seems (from what I've heard him say) that he has been able to lay down the law, yet still be friends with the kids and earn their respect. If that's true, I hope we find a lot more teachers like him. Of course, he's my brother, so I don't believe much he says. :doh:

Don't ask me what he says about most of the parents, though.

The reaction on TSW interests me. I don't have kids so its hard to say what I would do (early on in my relationship with my wife of 15+ years one ofus mentioned (we are pretty sure it was me) that I fully expected to have kids one day because it would be a wonderful thing to share with the woman I loved, but left to my own devices I really had little desire to be a parent.  My wife-to-be (though we had no idea at the time) said that she actually felt the same way. The conversation then turned to other important things like our latest class assignment or this weekend's party as this conversation had nothing to do with us as a pair. Fast forward 5 or so years and she asked me whether I remembered a conversation we had way back when about having kids. I said I sure do. She asked if I still felt the same way (now that it was clear that parenting conversations were about us).  I said I sure felt the same way.  Dhe said good and about three years later we got married).

One of the things I loved about my parents is that while they certainly would have been all for an adult hitting me to stop me from hurting another kid or from hurting myself, if any outsider (teachers and camp coumselors were certainly in loco parentis (in the place of parents) bu they definitely were not my parents.  If a teacher or a counselor had the temerity to adminster force to me beyond what was necessary to protect another from me or to protect me from immediate harm. Mom would have fought like a lion in defense of her kid.

For the most part, I'm just happy as heck that none of you who seem to feel fimne about an outsider administering plannd or lengthy physical punishment were not my parents.  I think that Mom had to lower the boom on me only once not because I was a good kid (a lot of my juvenile life without heavy interaction with the cops probably involved not getting caught) but because I knew that though she contenanced physical correction, I also knew she would go to wall for her kids and there was no question of it being OK for an outside party to adminster more than a corrective swat without my parents protecting me.

337990[/snapback]

Was anyone else confused after reading that?