Teacher Taped Student's Mouth Shut

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/4483688/detail.html

Aurora Student's Mouth Taped Shut

Teacher On Leave While Investigation Under Way

AURORA, Colo. -- A teacher at Sidecreek Elementary School in Aurora was placed on leave Thursday after the mother of a fifth grader reported that the teacher taped their son's mouth shut.

The incident allegedly occurred on Wednesday, but the Laura Solarin didn't learn about it until she called home to check on her son, Gabriel, after school and he told her what happened.

"He gets the tape out of the desk and he starts wrapping it (around my head) in layers," said Gabriel, 11. "He went around (my head) maybe about 10 times. "

Gabriel said the the teacher left the tape on him for about 15 minutes before two other teachers saw it.

Laura Solarin told 7NEWS that she called Aurora police to report the incident.

"It's inexcusable," she said.

Police began an investigation and the school district suspended the teacher until they determine if the teacher acted inappropriately. The district launched its own investigation into the incident.

No charges have been filed in the case and police weren't releasing the offense report because the investigation is still under way. They are investigating the case as possible child abuse.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AURORA, Colo. -- A teacher at Sidecreek Elementary School in Aurora was placed on leave Thursday after the mother of a fifth grader reported that the teacher taped their son's mouth shut.

The incident allegedly occurred on Wednesday, but the Laura Solarin didn't learn about it until she called home to check on her son, Gabriel, after school and he told her what happened.   

"He gets the tape out of the desk and he starts wrapping it (around my head) in layers," said Gabriel, 11. "He went around (my head) maybe about 10 times. "

Gabriel said the the teacher left the tape on him for about 15 minutes before two other teachers saw it.

Police began an investigation and the school district suspended the teacher until they determine if the teacher acted inappropriately. The district launched its own investigation into the incident.

No charges have been filed in the case and police weren't releasing the offense report because the investigation is still under way. They are investigating the case as possible child abuse.

337492[/snapback]

When I was a kid, not only would my mouth have been taped shut, my father would have beat the living crap out of me when I got home for making it necessary. God forbid we should punish the little darlings in any way; they never do anything wrong...

In other news...I heard this morning that crystal meth use is up something like 50% in the past 12 months. I'm sure that's only coincidental... :D

When I was a kid, not only would my mouth have been taped shut, my father would have beat the living crap out of me when I got home for making it necessary.  God forbid we should punish the little darlings in any way; they never do anything wrong...

In other news...I heard this morning that crystal meth use is up something like 50% in the past 12 months.  I'm sure that's only coincidental...  :D

337512[/snapback]

Speaking of Monkeys and Crystal Meth...any parents of young children have their suspicions about Boots the Monkey of "Dora the Explorer" fame? The friggin thing never blinks!

when i was in the 4th or 5th grade, i had a teacher take similar action with a classmate.

he tied the kid to his chair.....with arms behind his back, and stuffed an apple in his mouth. seems to me he kept him like that for as long as a half hour.

i'll never forget it.

337492[/snapback]

Figures they'd be POed at the teacher. I say the little d!ickhead probably deserved it. And people wonder why education in our country is lacking. It's like giving the police water pistols and asking them to keep the peace. We've taken all the authority from the administrators. Reminds me of a quote I heard in some movie,

"It's the same as complaining about the weather, when they are the ones who make the weather. They then stand in the rain and say, "sh--, it's raining".

Figures they'd be POed at the teacher. I say the little d!ickhead probably deserved it. And people wonder why education in our country is lacking. It's like giving the police water pistols and asking them to keep the peace. We've taken all the authority from the administrators.

337535[/snapback]

Welcome to England...

When I was a kid, not only would my mouth have been taped shut, my father would have beat the living crap out of me when I got home

I agree, the worst thing I could hear was "Wait until your father gets home"

I was paddled once because I was screwing around in a shop class. I emphasize once because the episode was never repeated and I didnt go crying home to my folks about it.

When I was a kid, not only would my mouth have been taped shut, my father would have beat the living crap out of me when I got home for making it necessary.  God forbid we should punish the little darlings in any way; they never do anything wrong...

In other news...I heard this morning that crystal meth use is up something like 50% in the past 12 months.  I'm sure that's only coincidental...  :D

337512[/snapback]

You're exactly right, CTM. A little discipline might damage their delicate psyches.

The kid probably deserved it, but it will be the teacher that will lose his job over this.

To the parents of grade school children out there, what can a teacher do to control an unruly student nowadays without catching all kinds of stojan for it? And calling the parents doesn't work anymore.

ten years ago this wouldn't have made the news.

twenty years ago it would have been a topic of idle conversation and laughs in the teacher's lounge.

thirty years ago it would have been called a witty response to a recalcitrant student.

forty years ago the teacher would have brought out a paddle and whacked the kid on the ass, which would have effectively shut him up. This would be considered standard operating procedure for disruptive students.

over the past forty years, most measures of scholastic achievement have gone down.

PC rules the day.

He taped the kids mouth...SO WHAT? sounds pretty damn hilarious, provided the kid wasn't physically harmed. Some kids need a big jolt of humility. The ones that never get it become !@#$s.

uhm... ? whats the big deal? i remember the same thing happening to my classmates back in school. no one cared then. is taping a stupid kids mouth shout worse just becuse now its the year 2005 and we are more educated as a society or something?

you people who are angry at this teacher are probably really bad parents. kids need discipline.

The kid probably deserved it, but it will be the teacher that will lose his job over this. 

To the parents of grade school children out there, what can a teacher do to control an unruly student nowadays without catching all kinds of stojan for it?  And calling the parents doesn't work anymore.

337543[/snapback]

That teacher probably has solid union representation, and will definately land on his feet.

You're exactly right, CTM. A little discipline might damage their delicate psyches.

337542[/snapback]

I knew a kid when I was growing up that was never disciplined at all by his parents. "Kids will be kids." "Oh, if we yell at him, it'll just hurt his self-esteem." "He's a little angel, he never does anything wrong."

Well...last I heard, after a teenage career of petty burglary and arson, he's doing a 10-year stretch in Florida on felony drug charges. :D But he's still a little angel, I'm sure...

337492[/snapback]

Little punk probably had it coming. All this coddling is doing kids no good whatsoever.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it amazing that all these parent's get their panties in a wad over incidents like these, but yet they still try to dump their child upbringing responsibilities on to an already overloaded school system.

Little punk probably had it coming.  All this coddling is doing kids no good whatsoever. 

Maybe it's just me, but I find it amazing that all these parent's get their panties in a wad over incidents like these, but yet they still try to dump their child upbringing responsibilities on to an already overloaded school system.

337568[/snapback]

"We work two jobs, we're never home, the schools have to take some responsibility for our children's upbringing...."

"...but you disciplined my child? How dare you! You're not responsible for my child's upbringing!"

:D