What We Learned Week 2

corta765

NFL: Two weeks and the dreaded 0-2 start is here for last years playoff teams TEN, Raiders, & CIN along with CAR & ATL which is not as surprising. For those following at home teams that start off 0-2 generally have about a 20% chance of making the playoffs and per the Ringers (Winners/Losers piece) yesterday 27 teams started 0-2 the last three years and none of them made the playoffs. Now for CIN and TEN they both are in divisions which the leader is 1-1 and for TEN only the Jags are .500 so maybe they have a bit more of a chance. But for the Raiders in the division they are in it is a boderline death knell outside of some insane winning streak. On the flipside the Giants are the worst 2-0 the NFL has seen in the last decade. Great to see Daboll have early success but correction is coming their way quickly. The first two weeks have seen some insane finishes and I would expect that to continue as the first four weeks generally have some of the funner games of the year as virtually everyone outside of the 0-2 fivesome has some hope that their season is going decent to good.

AFC: One of the things that may end up derailing teams like DEN // Raiders is new coaching staffs coming up and historically it takes time for teams to learn a new system and get going. I would not be surprised if either team looks better come weeks 8 and 9 but that may already be too late for the playoffs as the AFC is a buzz saw. Hackett non surprisingly to Bills fans looks wayyy over his head and DEN just may not be the team a lot of people bought into, but they are still 1-1 and 1-0 in conference so they could find a way to hang in there. McDaniel in MIA has shown great returns early on and seems to be maximizing the Phins offense far better then Flores could the last few years. The 2-0 start in MIA should help them when they have a down point in the season to weather the storm and stay in the playoffs race.

BAL- I mean yikes how do you not have safety help on Hill or Waddle. They are wasting a great start to the year by Lamar and their defense could stop what looks to be a very solid offense.

BUF- Season has started as well as could hope for minus injuries on defense. Dorsey feels like an upgrade of Daboll as his creativity seems much much higher early on. 

CIN- Burrow is getting no protection and he is walking into sacks. They may straighten things out a bit but it feels very real they overachieved last year and correction is here big time.

CLE- The offense has been OK but the defense which was supposed to be an elite unit has allowed 55 pts to Carolina and the Jets. Any hope of staying alive in the playoff race for Watsons return rests on the defense shaping up quickly.

DEN-If they finish above .500 it will probably be because Wilson ignores Hackett and the defense keeps making stops. Hackett making coaching decisions is borderline must see TV at this point.

HOU- Good for Lovie Smith to get these guys playing as hard as they are. An infusion of youth in this draft with probably a new QB could realllyy elevate the Texans back up quickly especially as TEN and IND look to be coming down.

IND- For the record I did not buy IND as a good team and I picked against them this year. They feel like the classic over hyped because of reputation team that actually has wayyy more holes then anyone realizes. I wouldn't be surprised if they crater to 4-13 and its full on tear down with a new QB and coach. Playing in the AFC South is their only saving grace at this point.

JAX- Trevor Lawrence had protection and non surprising looked very good against WSH (25-30 2 TDs 235 yds). The bigger surprise/help was the Jags defense getting 5 sacks and 11 QB hits.

KC- Watching their game vs LA was like a Bills drought game as LA kept shooting themselves in the foot with coaching and miscues. Sure enough like the Pats they came back and won. Only way to beat KC is to play to kill every down and decision, don't do that you will lose.

LAC- Herberts throw on fourth down with cracked ribs was amazing at the end. How Staley went from uber aggressive last year to putting at mid field vs KC is mind blowing. Did the public pressure finally get to him?

MIA- Doubt Tua if you want but the guy can do things if you let him. The key for any team facing MIA will be getting pressure and having safeties so Hill/Waddle can't break free. MIA is the most interesting team to watch in the AFC to see how they progress with Tua and McDaniel.

NE- The NFL needs to explain how the kick return/ fumble wasn't a safety against PIT. It reallyyy feels like sometimes NE is their golden goose and the thought of them being a poverty team isn't allowed. Regardless that offense is just so boring and lacks teeth.

NYJ- Why do I feel like Flacco at QB scares me more then Wilson? Garrett Wilson at WR is real and Gardner at CB has done well also. If the Jets can ever find a decent QB and not have a yearly injury plague they could become something long term.

PIT- Even with the loss to NE the idea of the playoffs isn't tremendously outlandish but the offense needs fixing. OC Matt Canada's play calling already is in question, but the calls for Pickett will grow louder by the week if the offense can't get going.

RAIDERS- The Raiders spent a boat ton of money on the defense which is bottom ten in points allowed and yards allowed. That is not going to do it with their schedule.

TEN- They felt like paper tigers last year then they traded their #1 WR, let a bunch of offensive line go, and Landry on defense went out for the year. None of this is surprising and the clock on Tannehill at QB as the guy seems to be ticking now.

NFC: Non-surprisingly the Packers and Rams rebounded this week. With the NFC the much weaker sister at this point the first half of the season for LA/GB/TB seems almost to be a feeling out period of sorts for their rosters and I would expect all three of them to be much sharper come seasons end.. assuming Brady doesn't just walk off the field and quit for TB haha. The most interesting thing in the NFC may be the combo of DET/NOLA/WSH strong enough to take a wildcard spot and with pieces in places BUT they may be better off missing the playoffs as if they can get a young signal caller in the draft that could elevate those rosters in a second.

ARZ- Kyler saved their season but this roster still has holes especially on defense. If they make the playoffs they can thank a crappy NFC field for that.

ATL- The Falcons are going to win 3-4 games this year as they play a competitive spirited game. Falcon fans just need to pray they do not win too many and take themselves out of a top 3 pick. Drake London is superb if only they could remember Kyle Pitts is really good

CAR- Losing the opening two games by 5 pts when you had the lead or were tied late hurts. The bigger issue is what is the plan for this team? For years they just seem to be trying to win now when they have a .500 roster at best.

CHI- Speaking of teams with "plans" did the 1985 Bears sign a deal with god to never have an offense that is remotely entertaining. Fields has shown flashes 100% but your guess is as good as mine on why they do not let him throw and what they plan on doing to help him.

DAL- Rumors for their demise greatly exaggerated? Maybe as Cooper Rush made the plays and Micah Parsons destroyed the Bengals offensive line. Dak isn't expect back until around week 8. If Rush can keep Dallas close enough to .500 they might have a real playoff shot when Dak is back. 

DET- Did you know the Lions have scored the most points in the NFC and 2nd most in the NFL (tied with KC at 71)? The defense is a work in progress, but the offense is fun and might be enough to crack the wildcard. Goff has been steady the first two games and maybe he can keep it going long term.

GB- Nice bounce back game at home although national viewers are begging that the league stops putting GB CHI on primetime yearly. I still wonder if ODB ends up here in November.

LAR- Same as GB nice bounce back game minus a mini collapse late. Cooper Kupp should've been MVP last year the guy is a machine.

MIN- With a chance to make an early statement and to prove doubters wrong Cousins and McConnell both fell flat. Cousins is pretty much out of rope for who and what he is as they have said it is this season or bust more or less... and he is proving less again.

NYG- Daniel Jones looks like a more mobile Trent Edwards but the Giants are winning. Truthfully with Tyrod Taylor they could plausibly find a way near a wildcard, but I am assuming Daboll and Schoen care more long term and will evaluate the roster decision wise 

NOLA- Jameis has been in the league for 7 years now he is what he is. The Saints feel like fools gold after barely beating the Falcons and then losing to the Bucs at home.

PHI- Good for Jalen Hurts who has worked forever to get to this point. The Eagles offense can really sore, can the defense match the tenacity of the offense? Some good measuring stick games coming with GB on the docket.

SEA- They got the revenge win against Wilson but reality came quickly Sunday. If they win more then three games the rest of the year I will be shocked. Poor DK Metcaf being wasted out there.

SF- Awful for Trey Lance who loses a chance to show what he can do. The 49ers have got to be crest fallen for the long term as this was a year for Lance to grow and prove some things and its back to the same. Yes they can win with Jimmy G to an extent, but the future is more cloudy then ever. The worst thing to be in the NFL is unsure of your QB future and with 4 of 6 seasons having your starter get knocked out indefinitely it makes it hard to get that answer.

TB- Gritty win assisted by Mike Evans getting Lattimore ejected which weakened the secondary of the Saints. Cole Beasley could be a good fit with Brady if the tread on the tires is still there and IF he does and IF Godwin is back healthy the offense quickly becomes very versatile with Evans, Godwin, Beasley, & Julio there. This lineup would rule on Madden 2019 haha.

WSH- Early returns on offense look promising as they are scoring and getting yards and Wentz looks better then he has since Philly in 2019. If the defense can improve a bit they may be the final playoff team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My belief in what Tua is centers on watching him for all of last season and the first 7 quarters of this season. Not the one quarter where the defense forgot how to execute even the most basic coverages and allowed wide open receivers all over the place.

In 7 quarters they scored 27 points on offense, which was then exceeded in one quarter where they scored 28.

I still see the same player that makes boneheaded decisions, bad throws, panics under pressure and throws 20 yard passes that look like punts.

He has a lot of talent around him now, but I don't see where he has taken any real strides.

The Bills should expose him like they did Mike White coming off a huge 300+ yard multiple TD game right before playing the Bills. I expect another multiple TD victory for Buffalo and stark reality hitting for Miami that they have a lot of work to do to match up with us.

What we learned about the Bills is they aren't out to just win, they are out to embarrass you, dominate you, slap you around and take your lunch money then laugh at you while you run home and cry to your Mommy. The most complete team in football with an elite offense, elite defense and great ST play.

We also learned Sam Martin might be the Bills secret turnover weapon this year if he ever has to punt again.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.