Has anybody seen the new XBox 360?

I wet myself when i saw it but it costs 400 bux.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6124293/i...0_topslot_click

336581[/snapback]

I can't imagine it would cost $400. That's just too much to launch a system. The whole point of releasing it this November is that they'll get a one year head start on PS3 and whatever Nintendo is planning to do next. They're going to want as many people as possible to buy this thing - even if it means taking a loss with each system sold.

I can't imagine it would cost $400.  That's just too much to launch a system.  The whole point of releasing it this November is that they'll get a one year head start on PS3 and whatever Nintendo is planning to do next.  They're going to want as many people as possible to buy this thing - even if it means taking a loss with each system sold.

336680[/snapback]

I think that at $400, they will still lose money on each one. I took a look at the specs and this sucker really has some horsepower in both cpu and video. There is going to be some big spending this Xmas when you add in games and controllers.

I thought I heard it was going to be $299.00 for the standard version, and $360 for the enhanced version (whatever that is).

336726[/snapback]

Im gonna guess that the enhanced version is the one with the optional hard drive. Gonna be a nice piece of hardware. I like the fact its wireless and is able to play mp3's. Play dvds as well and games are just a side option for me because my pc is already my gaming machine.

You better hope it's backwards compatible or it will render most previous Xbox games unplayable.  Since this is Micro$ux you can bet it won't play nice with 1st gen games.

336675[/snapback]

I read somewhere (IGN.com?) that it won't be backwards compatible because of changes in the OS and video cards.

Not much of an issue for me because I plan on keeping my big box anyway - or at least until some enterprising hacker creates an xbox1 emulator for the 360! :lol:

I thought I heard it was going to be $299.00 for the standard version, and $360 for the enhanced version (whatever that is).

336726[/snapback]

That's pretty close to what I'd read as well ($299 for the standard, $399 for the enhanced). I've also read that Nintendo will target theirs for around $200, while the PS3 will have two versions, one at $400, another at around $700. As for backwards compatibility, there is some conflicting information, but I tend to believe the Xbox 360 will be.

Is $400 too much? I don't think it is. A top of the line PC graphics card will run you that much. Given that these new consoles appear to be a major leap up the technological food chain from the last generation, I wouldn't complain too much about the price. You'll only have to pay it once. The games are another story entirely. If the games are $70-80 each, then I think its a problem.

That's pretty close to what I'd read as well ($299 for the standard,  $399 for the enhanced).   I've also read that Nintendo will target theirs for around $200,  while the PS3 will have two versions,  one at $400,  another at around $700.   As for backwards compatibility,  there is some conflicting information,   but I tend to believe the Xbox 360 will be.  

Is $400 too much?   I don't think it is.   A top of the line PC graphics card will run you that much.  Given that these new consoles appear to be a major leap up the technological food chain from the last generation,  I wouldn't complain too much about the price.   You'll only have to pay it once.   The games are another story entirely.   If the games are $70-80 each,  then I think its a problem.

336836[/snapback]

While I agree with your statement that these are major leap ahead of the PS2/XB1, I think the price points are a bit high. Two lines of reasoning:

1. You're right. Top end video cards run $400-500 dollars. But a "mid-range" PC runs $500-600. The console market has generally been younger than the PC market. These things are bought with mom and dad's money. As Dad, there's no way I would drop $400+ on a console system for simply playing games when I can get a complete PC for that much. Hell, you can even buy a Macintosh for that much now.

2. The geek crowd that will realize what you're getting for the money isn't the same as the console crowd. Geeks take pride in squeezing 50Mhz out of their CPU. Their cases look cool, their drives are optimized, and they're packed full of RAM. That hardware isn't good for much more than playing games anyways due to DMCA restrictions and lack of interface specifications.

These things are going to become YUPie toys. They're probably out of the "XMas present for Johnie" range for most people, and they're more than a drop in the bucket for most geeks. Hell, I've got the money to drop on one of them, but I really don't feel the need.

Lastly, they don't really *do* anything special. Play music, wireless controllers, good graphics, online gaming. For $200 more I can edit documents, read email, browse the web, print homework, shop online, buy concert tickets, *AND* play games. To top it off, the PC is upgradeable down the line. Parents will realize this and geeks know this. I don't think we'll see outrageous sales numbers if these things are priced more than $400.

The only remaining question that I can't answer is longevity. I'm a computer guy, and as such, replace my hardware much more often than most people do. The "cheap" XBox? Maybe. But if those PS3 prices are anything reliable, not a chance.

Just my $0.02.

-Jeff