Biden's "Speech" Tonight

T&C

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

DAN MCLAUGHLIN: 

Joe Biden’s speech last night at Independence Hall in Philadelphia was a disaster — several bad ideas terribly executed at once. It was a speech that couldn’t decide what it wanted to be, delivered by a man who didn’t believe it. And it will come back to bite him in court and on the campaign trail. Let us count the ways.

Problem #1: Giving the speech at all. Biden’s greatest political asset is when Americans are focused on Donald Trump and not on the bumbling, rambling fossil in the White House and his overreaching and under-delivering presidency. A big, set-piece Biden speech that was supposed to highlight Trump instead consumed media attention that would be, for the Democrats’ interests, better spent on more news cycles about Mar-a-Lago and Trump talking about holding a do-over election.

Problem #2: The title. Biden’s speech was entitled “The Continued Battle for the Soul of the Nation.” If Biden is trying to present himself as a unifying, back-to-normalcy figure who can calm the waters — a guy who, in the words of the speech itself, wants to “see politics not as total war but mediation of our differences” — talking about a “continued battle” won’t help. If he wants to reassure us that the president is sticking to his day job, talking about how he wants to shape “the soul of the nation” won’t help. And really, talking about a national crisis of soul is reminiscent of nothing so much as Jimmy Carter’s “Crisis of Confidence” speech, which is remembered today simply as the “malaise” speech. The scorched-earth partisanship of the speech is a replay of his disastrous Georgia voting-rights speech.

Problem #3: The staging. Independence Hall was lit up as if somebody directing one of the later Star Wars sequels said, “We want the new Empire to look just a little more Nazi.” The building was dark, but with blood-red eagle wings and Marines flanking an angry, fist-shaking Biden. The photos from this speech are certain to be used by a lot of campaigns this fall — none of them Democrats. Even aside from the politics, if Biden wanted to reassure ordinary Americans that he isn’t declaring some sort of war on his political enemies — taking a page from the Democratic Party adviser who declared that “the Republican Party is basically a domestic terrorist cell at this point and they should be treated as such” — he accomplished precisely the opposite. The best thing you could say about the staging is that it reminds us that this White House is run by incompetent amateurs who couldn’t get jobs on the Obama team.

more at the link: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/joe-bidens-blundering-insincere-philadelphia-speech/

No comment on why it’ was okay for Trump to use Marines in his political ads and speeches but not Biden?

Anything? Bueller?

lolz

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s fantastic! 
Gives me a free moment now and again to come on here and see that TDS is alive and well. I’m consistently amazed as to how they’ve built this guy up into the Devil. The fixation is mind boggling. It’s clear that these Trump haters must be really really scared of something that’s much bigger than Donald Trump. 

Maybe that’s because Trump keeps playing the part the Dem strategists assign him? Voting (at least the fraudulent, early voting, 😛) begins in about a month in a lot of states. And there’s Donald John Trump, willingly taking the bait, talking about how he just might pardon the ex-cop who got 10 years for using the flagpole as a weapon against a current cop. And talking about his fantasy that somehow there will be an election do-over, halfway into Biden’s term, in which the Trump presidency will be gloriously restored. As Biden said in one of the debates — his best, and only memorable moment in his whole campaign, just shut up, man …

… I finally watched the speech. It wasn’t meant for me. I’m a cynical old lesser of two evils, a pox on both their damn parties voter. It was meant to: (1) troll Trump and his endorsed candidates, who now get to answer fun questions like “do you favor a call for a do-over election and pardons for Jan 6 convicted rioters? And (2) to set a tone, aiming squarely at suburban/women voters, of the ominous future (all red-lot and doom and gloomy) that awaits if Republicans get power back. From that marketing/theme-ing perspective, I think it was effective. It’s a rally the base, turn out the suburban vote message. 
Against this we have the Repubs, seemingly forgetting everything that worked so well before (Reagan’s hopeful Morning in America themes) focused solely on old school rallies and trucker caps. 
So bad speech, cynically presented as a Speech to the Nation instead of a campaign rally speech? Yes. Effective in achieving its 2 goals? Yes. And Yes again. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Maybe that’s because Trump keeps playing the part the Dem strategists assign him? Voting (at least the fraudulent, early voting, 😛) begins in about a month in a lot of states. And there’s Donald John Trump, willingly taking the bait, talking about how he just might pardon the ex-cop who got 10 years for using the flagpole as a weapon against a current cop. And talking about his fantasy that somehow there will be an election do-over, halfway into Biden’s term, in which the Trump presidency will be gloriously restored. As Biden said in one of the debates — his best, and only memorable moment in his whole campaign, just shut up, man …

… I finally watched the speech. It wasn’t meant for me. I’m a cynical old lesser of two evils, a pox on both their damn parties voter. It was meant to: (1) troll Trump and his endorsed candidates, who now get to answer fun questions like “do you favor a call for a do-over election and pardons for Jan 6 convicted rioters? And (2) to set a tone, aiming squarely at suburban/women voters, of the ominous future (all red-lot and doom and gloomy) that awaits if Republicans get power back. From that marketing/theme-ing perspective, I think it was effective. It’s a rally the base, turn out the suburban vote message. 
Against this we have the Repubs, seemingly forgetting everything that worked so well before (Reagan’s hopeful Morning in America themes) focused solely on old school rallies and trucker caps. 
So bad speech, cynically presented as a Speech to the Nation instead of a campaign rally speech? Yes. Effective in achieving its 2 goals? Yes. And Yes again. 

So, essentially, it was deceptive political posturing.  That is definitely in their wheelhouse.  The dialogue and imaging seem kind of risky, and even desperate.  It seems like it would only be effective to the more radical part of the base.  

5 minutes ago, Brueggs said:

So, essentially, it was deceptive political posturing.  That is definitely in their wheelhouse.  The dialogue and imaging seem kind of risky, and even desperate.  It seems like it would only be effective to the more radical part of the base.  

Yes, red, white and blue is risky for us Americans.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Yes, red, white and blue is risky for us Americans.

Do you know why people only saw that?  Because in the 25 minutes of speech, it was all in red background.  Red was part of the backdrop?  yes....the only part.

You can't even acknowledge bad optics?  You don't even have to blame your hero for that.  You can dismiss it as a mistake by his publicity team.  Of course, you just blindly follow....right into the river.

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

lmao - why are you deflecting - lol 

Such selective outrage Deek. You went from being upset that Biden had Marines present; refusing to acknowledge Trump doing the same thing; to why can’t Biden unite the country lmao.

And adult in the room? Amazing the cult is so upset for Biden calling out fascists. We went to wars over fighting this BS.

First, I’m not deflecting anything. I posed  a pretty reasonable question.

Second, I’m not the slightest bit outraged. I’m just pointing out the double standard you’re so quick to ignore.

Third, looking for an adult in the room…yes, that’s what the country was repeatedly told Joe would bring. He hasn’t. That speech was a unforced error, of theatrical rage. I’m not the slightest bit sure what his handlers were thinking. The optics, the staging, and the messaging were extremely poorly timed. 

But in your worldview so long as you get a cheap thrill from some MAGA bashing it’s all good. Oh well.

• Haha (+1) 1

Lord have Mercy. This is not just a rote phrase I throw out there. I am a peanut gallery lurker to PPP. I was a registered Republican and now Democrat (reluctantly). I hate what this country has become politically that newspaper headlines tout headlines like THIS

Biden speech denouncing Trump, 'MAGA ideology' sparks threats, calls for violence (yahoo.com)

Do I want a civil war? WTAF HELL NO I DONT.I hate this hate hate hate hate Hate this thought. I think of myself as a person who TRIES to find the  truthful crux to matters and opinions and issues considering both sides. Through my own individual lens. ALL The discord, the ugliness of this makes me want to hurl. I happen to not like nor approve of the "orange man bad" but biden playing the hand he did in that speech is not only bold but I really hope not foolhardy. Election stolen my *** though. I dont believe it and the way Trump supporters cling to it I think is crazy. But all the rest of the rhetoric I think just fans the flames and makes things worse......it IS possible for things to be worse. I DONT want to even guess what that is..........SMH

am I alone in thinking this WILL blow up into a Major major fiasco for our country?

Respectfully submitted. m

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Brueggs said:

Do you know why people only saw that?  Because in the 25 minutes of speech, it was all in red background.  Red was part of the backdrop?  yes....the only part.

You can't even acknowledge bad optics?  You don't even have to blame your hero for that.  You can dismiss it as a mistake by his publicity team.  Of course, you just blindly follow....right into the river.

LMAO - if Trump told you RED hats to jump over Niagara Falls you will find a way to justify it and do it. 

After four years of Trump rage and hell - I don’t care about a freakin background.

15 pages and counting - I’d say Biden’s speech worked! It exposed and defined you fascists as un American and you SIMPS (lmao) can’t stand it. 

So much for the F your feelings crowd. 

lolzzzzzz

10 minutes ago, muppy said:

Lord have Mercy. This is not just a rote phrase I throw out there. I am a peanut gallery lurker to PPP. I was a registered Republican and now Democrat (reluctantly). I hate what this country has become politically that newspaper headlines tout headlines like THIS

Biden speech denouncing Trump, 'MAGA ideology' sparks threats, calls for violence (yahoo.com)

You'd feel better if you stopped reading the nonsense on this forum, especially the most recent.

What this country needs is a leader.

Neither Biden nor Trump has any leadership capability whatsoever.

Useless duo that need to go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, muppy said:

Do I want a civil war? WTAF HELL NO I DONT.I hate this hate hate hate hate Hate this thought. I think of myself as a person who TRIES to find the  truthful crux to matters and opinions and issues considering both sides. Through my own individual lens. ALL The discord, the ugliness of this makes me want to hurl. I happen to not like nor approve of the "orange man bad" but biden playing the hand he did in that speech is not only bold but I really hope not foolhardy. Election stolen my *** though. I dont believe it and the way Trump supporters cling to it I think is crazy. But all the rest of the rhetoric I think just fans the flames and makes things worse......it IS possible for things to be worse. I DONT want to even guess what that is..........SMH

am I alone in thinking this WILL blow up into a Major major fiasco for our country?

Respectfully submitted. m

Thanks for jumping in. Honestly. Don’t take the bait. While Republicans obviously don’t like the way the last election was conducted or it’s outcome there have been very few, if any organized protests, violent attacks, or really much if anything since the one time January 6th event…which democrats are playing for all the ring out of it. Do not let the media sway you to their fear agenda. ALL of this is because they’re trying desperately not to get shellacked in November. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillStime said:

LMAO - if Trump told you RED hats to jump over Niagara Falls you will find a way to justify it and do it. 

After four years of Trump rage and hell - I don’t care about a freakin background.

15 pages and counting - I’d say Biden’s speech worked! It exposed and defined you fascists as un American and you SIMPS (lmao) can’t stand it. 

So much for the F your feelings crowd. 

lolzzzzzz

Here you go cupcake.  You cared enough to make the comment, but when I point out the obvious, you no longer care.  How convenient...and typical 

Is this part of your therapy, or are you always this way?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrijE9_oxNj680ka4RXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzIEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Nj?p=full+biden+speech&type=E211US105G0&ei=UTF-8&fr=mcafee&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOVF.15q7kpH2hasW13kHEcWYGg%26pid%3DApi%26w%3D296%26h%3D156%26c%3D7%26p%3D0&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fvideo%2Fpolitics%2Fbidens-full-speech-on-threats-to-democracy%2F2022%2F09%2F01%2Fab61e311-96b7-4ef1-a956-b0dbd40d4250_video.html&tit=Biden's+full+speech+on+'threats+to+democracy'&pos=3&vid=3c71475074709da6113b58e194d51ea9&sigr=8AW4UxOaiosJ&sigt=EcM2x3eKiZOM&sigi=E92U.e7.HKVZ

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for jumping in. Honestly. Don’t take the bait. While Republicans obviously don’t like the way the last election was conducted or it’s outcome there have been very few, if any organized protests, violent attacks, or really much if anything since the one time January 6th event…which democrats are playing for all the ring out of it. Do not let the media sway you to their fear agenda. ALL of this is because they’re trying desperately not to get shellacked in November. 

Early indicators suggest it’s the party clinging to Trump, forced pregnancy, and fascism is the one who just might get shellacked…

3 minutes ago, Brueggs said:

omfg lmao - cry harder. 

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

First, I’m not deflecting anything. I posed  a pretty reasonable question.

Second, I’m not the slightest bit outraged. I’m just pointing out the double standard you’re so quick to ignore.

Third, looking for an adult in the room…yes, that’s what the country was repeatedly told Joe would bring. He hasn’t. That speech was a unforced error, of theatrical rage. I’m not the slightest bit sure what his handlers were thinking. The optics, the staging, and the messaging were extremely poorly timed. 

But in your worldview so long as you get a cheap thrill from some MAGA bashing it’s all good. Oh well.

Yes - you deflected - and are still deflecting.

Deek:

-Whatever Biden does = bad

-Trump did the same thing = irrelevant 

Biden’s speech was amazing - it highlighted just how unAmerican you proclaimed patriots are…

image.thumb.jpeg.9536ba4eedaf7feac19fd39e9915b859.jpeg

Have fun owning the dems - lmao

16 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Early indicators suggest it’s the party clinging to Trump, forced pregnancy, and fascism is the one who just might get shellacked…

omfg lmao - cry harder. 

Says the top poster in this thread who argues with everybody 😂

Do you try this hard for attention in the real world?

14 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Deek:

-Trump did the same thing = irrelevirrelevant Bidens speech was amazing - it highlighted just how unAmerican you proclaimed patriots are…

American Sign Language Baby Wipes GIF by ASL Connect

You're messing yourself again 

37 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Deek:

-Trump did the same thing = irrelevant 

Biden’s speech was amazing - it highlighted just how unAmerican you proclaimed patriots are…

Billsy

The point is that Biden was sold as being DIFFERENT from Trump…not the same. Now we all know it was just a sham.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yup.  And now we know the Dems wouldn't have done any better with Wuhan virus and that Joke isn't the adult in the room they lied to us about.  Meanwhile the country is far worse than it was when he took over, thanks in large part to his terrible policies. 

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Billsy

The point is that Biden was sold as being DIFFERENT from Trump…not the same. Now we all know it was just a sham.

LMAO - and Trump sold us TrumpCare, Infrastructure, middle class tax cuts, and a wall paid for by Mexico and delivered nothing.

Again - no one can unite this country because NO ONE wants to be united with the MAGA fringe. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Yup.  And now we know the Dems wouldn't have done any better with Wuhan virus and that Joke isn't the adult in the room they lied to us about.  Meanwhile the country is far worse than it was when he took over, thanks in large part to his terrible policies. 

Close. They are of course not HIS policies. Nor did he stage or script that frightening show from the other night.