Impact of Dobbs and Abortion Laws

Today’s quotable: Treasurer Michael Frerichs

* Illinois Treasurer Michael Frerichs received a standing ovation at the Illinois delegate breakfast this morning, here’s an excerpt of his speech…

I remember with my first wife, we got pregnant. [At] four months pregnant, we went for an ultrasound, and we saw a little baby.

We saw arms and legs and they were moving, and it was amazing.

And then the doctor called us into her office. And said, ‘Why does this always happen on Friday? Why do I have do this?’ She said ‘Your child has anencephaly.’

Anencephaly, for those don’t know, is when the neural tubes do not properly form, or your child is growing without a brain and a brain stem and everything else.

We saw a baby and we asked, what should we do? The doctor said, ‘I recommend termination.’

It was a difficult decision, it was a tough talk. But eventually, my wife and I talked about it, and said ok, let’s schedule the procedure. [The doctor’s] response was, ‘I can’t do that. This hospital doesn’t allow it.’

A medical professional, giving us her advice, and said this hospital wont allow it. I said, that’s okay, this was a Catholic hospital. I wasn’t surprised. I said, well, there’s another hospital in Champaign-Urbana. It’s just, that hospital doesn’t do abortions either.

God bless Planned Parenthood.

Because what those hospitals and their boards of directors who made this policy are saying, my wife knew her child, our child, could not survive outside the womb, but they would force her to carry to term for nine months. Deal with all the risks of pregnancy. Dealing with the pain of knowing I’m going through all of this and it will be to bear a stillborn child or one that dies soon afterwards.

That’s cruel.

And that’s what the Republicans are offering. It’s not an accident. You know, like with our engagement with corporations. It’s not about freedom, it’s about control. They want to control it, and with women’s bodies, they want to control women’s bodies. But we have a voice. We have an opportunity to vote and to keep them out of power.

I have never known a Republican, or anyone for that matter that "wants to control women's bodies."

That is a false claim made over and over, like the idiocy of "good people on both sides" nonsense.

• Agree 1

On 8/21/2024 at 8:25 AM, B-Man said:

The GOP will progressively move left on their stance on Abortion as the number of Singles outpace Married couples. 

While the article may seem ridiculous, those protestors may believe that not allowing Abortion up to Birth is the same as banning it.

We use to draw the line at Yes vs No, but now it's more about how far along the pregnancy we should allow.  6wks seems to be the current line to be called a "Pro-lifer."

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, unbillievable said:

The GOP will progressively move left on their stance on Abortion as the number of Singles outpace Married couples. 

While the article may seem ridiculous, those protestors may believe that not allowing Abortion up to Birth is the same as banning it.

We use to draw the line at Yes vs No, but now it's more about how far along the pregnancy we should allow.  6wks seems to be the current line to be called a "Pro-lifer."

There's no "may" about it.  Any restrictions on abortion is "banning" it to them, like removing sexually explicit material from elementary school libraries is "banning books."  And again what got RvW overturned was a clinic in Mississippi suing over a 15 week abortion ban. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Abortion is the top issue in the election for women under 40 

Kinda sad when a result of an action is more important than things like foot, roof over ones head.  But hey. Pray hard enough and the state will provide