Impact of Dobbs and Abortion Laws

4 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

There's no chance any legislation will succeed on the national level.

Let's say the election plays out like Dems feared it would about a week ago.

Trump wins.

The Republicans increase their majority in the House, and they retake the Senate.

How long will it take for Senate Republicans to kill the filibuster? I'd give it a month or two.

What happens to medication abortion with an anti-abortion activist put in place at the FDA?

Will Trump really refuse to sign a 15-week abortion ban that sails through the House and Senate?

I see what you're saying. The issue is not front and center with most voters now. But I also think you need to game plan this through... it will be Kamala's job to make the case. We will see whether she is able to do it.

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Let's say the election plays out like Dems feared it would about a week ago.

Trump wins.

The Republicans increase their majority in the House, and they retake the Senate.

How long will it take for Senate Republicans to kill the filibuster? I'd give it a month or two.

What happens to medication abortion with an anti-abortion activist put in place at the FDA?

Will Trump really refuse to sign a 15-week abortion ban that sails through the House and Senate?

I see what you're saying. The issue is not front and center with most voters now. But I also think you need to game plan this through... it will be Kamala's job to make the case. We will see whether she is able to do it.

There's never been any evidence that the Republican Senate has desired to kill the filibuster; most of the calls for that have been from the Left.  Perhaps now that Mitch McConnell's gone that may change, but there's no reason so far to think that it will.  Unless there's a Republican landslide this fall, which seems very unlikely, there won't be enough support in either the House or the Senate for an abortion ban.  As I've suggested, most legislators know that's not what their constituents want.  

I think you have a better case with your point about an anti-abortion activist in place at the FDA. But recent Supreme Court rulings have greatly diminished the power of administrative agencies to issue regulations and make laws without legislation.  That ruling applies to Republican governments as well as Democratic governments.

You do make an excellent case for divided government.  Neither party can be trusted.  

3 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

There's never been any evidence that the Republican Senate has desired to kill the filibuster; most of the calls for that have been from the Left.  Perhaps now that Mitch McConnell's gone that may change, but there's no reason so far to think that it will.  Unless there's a Republican landslide this fall, which seems very unlikely, there won't be enough support in either the House or the Senate for an abortion ban.  As I've suggested, most legislators know that's not what their constituents want.  

I think you have a better case with your point about an anti-abortion activist in place at the FDA. But recent Supreme Court rulings have greatly diminished the power of administrative agencies to issue regulations and make laws without legislation.  That ruling applies to Republican governments as well as Democratic governments.

You do make an excellent case for divided government.  Neither party can be trusted.  

Well, the last line is the key. And I agree with it.

But I think you're a little too optimistic about the status of the filibuster. I can't imagine Trump getting a majority in both houses and then just sitting back and saying, "well, I guess I'll just have to compromise away until I get 8 or 9 Democrats to join me." They'll be intense pressure on the new majority leader to kill it. And who will that new majority leader be? It would be a more sharply divided Senate with no obvious Machiavellian manipulator like McConnell. And Trump would have 4 years, not the hope of 8, and he's 77, so he knows time is not on his side ... the pressure to act fast will be intense.

34 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

There's never been any evidence that the Republican Senate has desired to kill the filibuster; most of the calls for that have been from the Left. 

Both parties have used the "nuclear option" to eliminate the filibuster when it was convenient to them. They don't have to end the filibuster for all legislation, they can limit it to what they want.

I have a hard time imagining that, after securing the White House and both houses of Congress in a post-Dobbs environment, the GOP would somehow decide *not* to utilize the nuclear option to pass a nationwide abortion ban that mirrors what we are seeing in states like Texas today. Their primary voters would demand that they do it.

2 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

I guess it will gin up her base who are included in that 5% of people who think that abortion is the most important issue and who are already in a frenzy to vote against Trump.   But most of the rest of the country wants to hear what she's going to do about the cost of living and uncontrolled immigration and so on.  Insofar as she's talking about abortion, she's not talking about those things.  

It will bring in new voters, and in a close election will put her over the top 

Trump says he is against nation wide abortion ban. All those right wing Federalist society groomed Judges said Roe was settled law. These people hate the truth and they hate our country

• Haha (+1) 1

So hard make it about Sex, Race and abortion.

Whats her platform. 

More war

More State spending

More open boarder

More openly supporting mobs/riots

And Sorry, Having a elite funded PAC support a candidate is kind of showing the problem.

Then she will make sure PP gets all the funding it needs/wants

37 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

So hard make it about Sex, Race and abortion.

Whats her platform. 

More war

More State spending

More open boarder

More openly supporting mobs/riots

And Sorry, Having a elite funded PAC support a candidate is kind of showing the problem.

Then she will make sure PP gets all the funding it needs/wants

I know, only He can make things right

Only He can make us better 

Only he can rise about this democratic squabbling and argument 

Only He can put an end to the strife, discontent and difference of opinion in this nation

He is Trump, the Chosen One! 

You cultists will lose 

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Trump says he is against nation wide abortion ban. All those right wing Federalist society groomed Judges said Roe was settled law. These people hate the truth and they hate our country

So because they want a 15 week abortion ban with exceptions...that means they hate the country?  LOL!

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Wait.  A limit is a ban?  That's the new narrative?  So the only acceptable solution is no limits?  

Ugh. 

Keep pushing it! ❤️ 

Just now, Tiberius said:

Keep pushing it! ❤️ 

You said it.  Any limit is unacceptable and is considered a ban.  

It seems like just yesterday the left was celebrating France putting a 15 week limit in their constitution....

• Like (+1) 1

Before Dobs we had a national ban after a certain period.  Now we don't.  And since, some states have created such liberal laws people can get them till birth, for emotional reasons.  

Gotta see that glass half full.  

Edited by Tommy Callahan