Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Penguins and Panthers both lost. We're gonna miss out by one point. Brutal. 

What an an awesome end to that game though. And a hell of a late season push. 

If the Sabres win tomorrow, yeah, 1 point.  Ugh.

21 minutes ago, Process said:

Penguins and Panthers both lost. We're gonna miss out by one point. Brutal. 

What an an awesome end to that game though. And a hell of a late season push. 

Yep, if we had beaten the Devils we’d control our destiny tomorrow night. Damn. 

On 4/13/2023 at 10:16 PM, muppy said:

ugh is right.  

What's even more ugh is that if the Sabres win tomorrow, 1 more win previously would have put them in the playoffs.  Like that game against the Caps a few weeks ago where they had the lead going into the final minute and Tuch got a penalty that allowed the Caps to tie it up and win in OT.

Edit:  I was wrong.  They needed 2 more points.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:50 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Made it 80 games in and still in the hunt. A lot of entertaining hockey played. That's about all I could ask for from this young team.

Future is bright. Especially with Levi looking decent.

Nice for hockey to be fun again. They even had me watching games between other teams during the season.

Rock em Sabes!

The way the season just shook out, if they had won either the FLA or NJD games, Friday vs CBJ was a win-and-in game.  That close.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

What's even more ugh is that if the Sabres win tomorrow, 1 more win previously would have put them in the playoffs.  Like that game against the Caps a few weeks ago where they had the lead going into the final minute and Tuch got a penalty that allowed the Caps to tie it up and win in OT.

Hells bells Doc, they blew so many games the what if list is huge. Still a great season and finally something to look forward to next year

32-39-11 - 75 points last season

41-33-7 - 89 points this season with one more game left.

This rebuild has worked and they are only going to get better. The core group is very young, so they are setup to be a good team for a long time. Next April will be playoff hockey in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

32-39-11 - 75 points last season

41-33-7 - 89 points this season with one more game left.

This rebuild has worked and they are only going to get better. The core group is very young, so they are setup to be a good team for a long time. Next April will be playoff hockey in Buffalo.

The only thing that shocks me is the percentage of fans who don't see it and say things like "Same old Sabres"  "Granato needs to go"  

This team is right on the cusp of breaking through 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

The only thing that shocks me is the percentage of fans who don't see it and say things like "Same old Sabres"  "Granato needs to go"  

For the longest time the Sabres were a joke as we all know. But you can tell when a team is just spinning its wheels and going nowhere vs a team that is building something special. The Sabres are now building something special. They do have to improve the defense. Against the Devils they mentioned the Sabres have the 29th ranked PK. Defense needs to be improved. The offense is one of the best in the game right now. While it's a small sample size it does appear that the Sabres have found their franchise goalie. He has the "it" factor to be special. Just like the Bills have when we saw Allen play. You knew he had that "it" factor as well to be a franchise QB. Now he is one of the best in the NFL. I think Levi will prove the same as a goalie.

Edited by Gregg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doc said:

10 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Hells bells Doc, they blew so many games the what if list is huge. Still a great season and finally something to look forward to next year

the ugh comes into play from  being 1 measly Stinkin' point away  from a spot.  is buzzkill for me.  blech. Just sayin'. But I am NOT the long suffering oh woe is me kind of sports fan. 

But clearly as I have written in this thread  I have a very positive outlook for the future of this team  what @Gregg wrote was in my view super logical AND factual an spot on. so I'll put a concur to That.

who  are people rooting for in the playoffs? and why?

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, muppy said:

the ugh comes into play from  being 1 measly Stinkin' point away  from a spot.  is buzzkill for me.  blech. Just sayin'. But I am NOT the long suffering oh woe is me kind of sports fan. 

But clearly as I have written in this thread  I have a very positive outlook for the future of this team  what @Gregg wrote was in my view super logical AND factual an spot on. so I'll put a concur to That.

who  are people rooting for in the playoffs? and why?

Gotta root for New Jersey because I wanna see Lindy win a Cup 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I figured that was Anderson’s last game even though he said he was unsure about retirement before the game. Then the way both teams salutary him after the game and how Anderson himself acted, I was sure he was retiring.

and he confirmed it after the game (as did the Sabres and Tuch):

happy for him that he went out with a win! That win also gave him a winning record for his starts in Buffalo, so that’s cool too.

it was really cool to see ottawa players stay on the ice to congratulate him too. Classy move! I can’t imagine there are too many players left from Anderson’s days in ottawa (if any…). 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Those people barely pay attention to the team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I believe this means that even if Ryan a Johnson signed today he could no longer burn a year off his entry level contract.

If he signs, I would think it will be on an ATO with Rochester.

I am kind of doubtful he signs at all. I’m guessing he waits until he turns free agent in august.

At least the Sabres get a comp pick if he walks! It would be a 2nd in the 2024 draft. Well, technically more like the first pick of the 3rd round since comp picks come after all the official picks of the 2nd round have finished.

With how shallow our defensive prospect pool is, I’d rather Johnson sign. It looks like the Sabres weren’t willing to offer him an NHL contract this year to burn a year off his ELC though. Sounds like they want him in Rochester. I guess time will tell if that was the right move or not (if he walks). 

40 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I figured that was Anderson’s last game even though he said he was unsure about retirement before the game. Then the way both teams salutary him after the game and how Anderson himself acted, I was sure he was retiring.

and he confirmed it after the game (as did the Sabres and Tuch):

happy for him that he went out with a win! That win also gave him a winning record for his starts in Buffalo, so that’s cool too.

it was really cool to see ottawa players stay on the ice to congratulate him too. Classy move! I can’t imagine there are too many players left from Anderson’s days in ottawa (if any…). 

Someone is laboring to breath during the Anderson interview.  They need to see their doctor ASAP.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I believe this means that even if Ryan a Johnson signed today he could no longer burn a year off his entry level contract.

If he signs, I would think it will be on an ATO with Rochester.

I am kind of doubtful he signs at all. I’m guessing he waits until he turns free agent in august.

At least the Sabres get a comp pick if he walks! It would be a 2nd in the 2024 draft. Well, technically more like the first pick of the 3rd round since comp picks come after all the official picks of the 2nd round have finished.

With how shallow our defensive prospect pool is, I’d rather Johnson sign. It looks like the Sabres weren’t willing to offer him an NHL contract this year to burn a year off his ELC though. Sounds like they want him in Rochester. I guess time will tell if that was the right move or not (if he walks). 

Any young player that doesn’t want to sign on to what the Sabres have going right now has to be an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeediot.  If he walks, we don’t want him anyway.  Put him in the loser bin with Portillo and Eichole.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, T&C said:

Well the guys poured it on for the last game and Levi gets another win under his belt.

So, starting Monday for me it's go Panthers and go Leafs...

Another step taken. Look at the stats and look at all the guys that had career years this year . Can they maintain that? Let's hope so! Can even improve upon it and the younger guys even step up their game add a few defense men and with Levi I can't wait till next year!

Edited by jayg

7 minutes ago, T&C said:

Well the guys poured it on for the last game and Levi gets another win under his belt.

So, starting Monday for me it's go Panthers and go Leafs...

Can you imagine how insufferable Leafs fans will be if they win the cup?

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

Can you imagine how insufferable Leafs fans will be if they win the cup?

I live in Tampa... I'd like nothing more than for the Lightning to be snuffed in the 1st round. No more "Champa Bay" crap.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.