Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

16 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Again the 1975 Buffalo Sabres never made the Stanley Cup Finals after making it real young. That is a myth older players get stronger slow and broken down. Your give the Buffalo Sabres a crutch to lose next and the year after until some day well there ready now it doesn’t work that way. You seize the opportunity the moment not fantasyland analytics crap to give commuter nerds jobs in a billion dollar industry. The analytics people I have zero belief in and I would even let them in my office they completely incompetent. Give me Bill Belichick, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry those were men that knew what the hell they were doing and you knew your team was in good hands the heck with analytics people they are incompetent and a waste of time and money. Some players peak early and by 27 or 28 years old there done for a lot of reasons. Injuries, timing better teams come along. If I use your example the Edmonton Oilers wouldn’t be playing the New York Islanders in the 1980’s playoffs it would be the Buffalo Sabres who were older than the Edmonton Oilers and New York Islanders Gilbert Perrault, Rick Martin and Bob Sauve.

Sports don’t work that way. I am going to tank. Then I am going to send Billy to Rochester for seasoning. Then I going to call Billy up but since he is young and not old and built up body wise yet Billy can lose for two or three years. That is all ridiculous. Wayne Gretzky never won when he got older with the Los Angeles Kings, St Louis Blues and New York Rangers. You seize your opportunity when it comes. Next year I expect the Stanley Cup championship because that is what normal Buffalo Sabres fans think not analytics crap that is a excuse for failure and losing. Bill Belichick is the best do your job I don’t want to hear the excuses woulda, coulda, shoulda is just excuses for failure in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I am hoping you are a very prolix bot, because I'd hate to think you are an actual human. Also, your grammar is poor.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Again the 1975 Buffalo Sabres never made the Stanley Cup Finals after making it real young. That is a myth older players get stronger slow and broken down. Your give the Buffalo Sabres a crutch to lose next and the year after until some day well there ready now it doesn’t work that way. You seize the opportunity the moment not fantasyland analytics crap to give commuter nerds jobs in a billion dollar industry. The analytics people I have zero belief in and I would even let them in my office they completely incompetent. Give me Bill Belichick, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry those were men that knew what the hell they were doing and you knew your team was in good hands the heck with analytics people they are incompetent and a waste of time and money. Some players peak early and by 27 or 28 years old there done for a lot of reasons. Injuries, timing better teams come along. If I use your example the Edmonton Oilers wouldn’t be playing the New York Islanders in the 1980’s playoffs it would be the Buffalo Sabres who were older than the Edmonton Oilers and New York Islanders Gilbert Perrault, Rick Martin and Bob Sauve.

Sports don’t work that way. I am going to tank. Then I am going to send Billy to Rochester for seasoning. Then I going to call Billy up but since he is young and not old and built up body wise yet Billy can lose for two or three years. That is all ridiculous. Wayne Gretzky never won when he got older with the Los Angeles Kings, St Louis Blues and New York Rangers. You seize your opportunity when it comes. Next year I expect the Stanley Cup championship because that is what normal Buffalo Sabres fans think not analytics crap that is a excuse for failure and losing. Bill Belichick is the best do your job I don’t want to hear the excuses woulda, coulda, shoulda is just excuses for failure in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

So your saying the Sabres should sign Bill "Belichick" as head coach?

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

OH MY GOD, YOU USED TWO PARAGRAPHS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha (+1) 4

The Sabres are going to be very good starting next season. They have one of the best offenses in the league already. They have found their starting goaltender who looks like he can be one of the best in the league. Use the offseason to upgrade the defense and this team will win a lot of games next season. What is really encouraging is the core group is very young. They are only going to get better as they get more experience.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

The Sabres are going to be very good starting next season. They have one of the best offenses in the league already. They have found their starting goaltender who looks like he can be one of the best in the league. Use the offseason to upgrade the defense and this team will win a lot of games next season. What is really encouraging is the core group is very young. They are only going to get better as they get more experience.

It will be interesting to see which beloved young prospects get moved near trade deadlines in the future. We're bound to have to lose someone. I'd even be a little bummed about trading Mitts at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the first time in over a decade I am disappointed to see the season come to and end.  I had so much fun watching this team through it's ups and downs starting to come together.  Already can't wait for next season and to see the next jump we take.  I have no doubt in my mind that these young kids will work their ass off in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsPride12 said:

This is the first time in over a decade I am disappointed to see the season come to and end.  I had so much fun watching this team through it's ups and downs starting to come together.  Already can't wait for next season and to see the next jump we take.  I have no doubt in my mind that these young kids will work their ass off in the offseason.

I have read this sentiment  not only here but on other social media as well.

The reason most all Sabres fans I know are optimistic is because  they know the game well enough to see the potential that the team has moving forward. A VERY positive trajectory with pieces falling into place with young talent and a few bona fide stars already. With more to follow I suspect.

Winning is wonderful. I like winning as much as they next fan. But I am not going to base my happiness as a fan of the sport to REQUIRE they must win a Championship each and every year or the entire NHL experience is considered a failure

Thats a really ****** head space and I refuse to live there.

Now If I could find a Snoopy avatar in Sabres colors that would be Primo 🙂

:-)

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Yep.  We have four NHL defensemen and need a few more.  Get some mature veteran leadership in there and this team is primed and ready.

I have to say, however, that I am not completely sold on the coaching.  I think better coaching could have helped the defense this season.

I'm very optimistic about next season.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, eball said:

Yep.  We have four NHL defensemen and need a few more.  Get some mature veteran leadership in there and this team is primed and ready.

I have to say, however, that I am not completely sold on the coaching.  I think better coaching could have helped the defense this season.

I'm very optimistic about next season.

Yet the leadership might not be here next year, Okoposo and Zemgus to me are question marks after this season as we bring up more kids. I have no issue bringing Kyle back since his leadership seems to be a good thing of course not sure how much ice time he'll get.  Defense definitely needs more talent but also think we might want to change some of the philosophy on D. I know Levi's played well this far but think asking him to start more than 41 games next season is a lot so we need a goalie to pair with him that isn't UPL. As I like UPL but not sure he's good enough. 

16 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Yet the leadership might not be here next year, Okoposo and Zemgus to me are question marks after this season as we bring up more kids. I have no issue bringing Kyle back since his leadership seems to be a good thing of course not sure how much ice time he'll get.  Defense definitely needs more talent but also think we might want to change some of the philosophy on D. I know Levi's played well this far but think asking him to start more than 41 games next season is a lot so we need a goalie to pair with him that isn't UPL. As I like UPL but not sure he's good enough. 

I'm big on bringing Girgensons back.

He's a Sabre from the start. He is solid on D. He isnt that expensive. Young enough to have good years left. I'd like to see him sign another 3/$7M deal.

While I appreciate what Okposo has done for the team, he's made his money, he's done his job, and I think we can bring up other Forwards to replace him. Plus he's almost 35.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Am I crazy or are the Sabres still mathematically alive?  We can get to 42 wins and 91 points.  The Isles have 91 but a loss leaves them with only 41 wins.  Similar for Pitt.  Where am I off with the tiebreaker?

Is head to head 1st breaker?

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm big on bringing Girgensons back.

He's a Sabre from the start. He is solid on D. He isnt that expensive. Young enough to have good years left. I'd like to see him sign another 3/$7M deal.

While I appreciate what Okposo has done for the team, he's made his money, he's done his job, and I think we can bring up other Forwards to replace him. Plus he's almost 35.

If Kyle wants to come back on a 1 year minimum contract I'd bring hm back. After all he is the captain.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Is head to head 1st breaker?

To this, for @4merper4mer, I thought I saw an infographic during the broadcast last night that showed the Sabres lose all tie breakers with the 3 other teams

13 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

If Kyle wants to come back on a 1 year minimum contract I'd bring hm back. After all he is the captain.

For sure. I'm not actively trying to move away from him or get rid of him for any reason. If it works out, fine. If not - thanks, Kyle.

I'm confused, we could end up with 42 wins and Isles with 41, thats the first tie breaker

What is the tiebreaker for the NHL wild card?

The first tiebreaker is regulation wins (RW) the second is regulation and overtime wins (ROW), and the third is total wins (which include those in the shootout). If teams are still tied after that, their regular season head-to-head record comes into play.2 days ago

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I'm confused, we could end up with 42 wins and Isles with 41, thats the first tie breaker

What is the tiebreaker for the NHL wild card?

The first tiebreaker is regulation wins (RW) the second is regulation and overtime wins (ROW), and the third is total wins (which include those in the shootout). If teams are still tied after that, their regular season head-to-head record comes into play.2 days ago

Great questions. Sounds like you should be correct, but I'm not finding any good info online to back anything up.

If we win out, and Pitt and NYI lost their last game, it looks like we should be in.

Sabres and Islanders would have 91 points. Sabres would have 42 wins, Islanders 41.

But literally every resource online is in agreement that the Sabres have been eliminated?

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Great questions. Sounds like you should be correct, but I'm not finding any good info online to back anything up.

If we win out, and Pitt and NYI lost their last game, it looks like we should be in.

Sabres and Islanders would have 91 points. Sabres would have 42 wins, Islanders 41.

But literally every resource online is in agreement that the Sabres have been eliminated?

Dr D... I think I may have answered my own question, REGULATION wins is first tie breaker. I can't find anywhere to see what they were

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think the first tiebreaker is regulation wins if they tie in points. OT wins and SO (skills competition) don't count in this case.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mike in Horseheads said:

Dr D... I think I may have answered my own question, REGULATION wins is first tie breaker. I can't find anywhere to see what they were

That's it. My brain was reading that as Regular Season Wins. REGULATION wins is huge difference. You got it.

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I think the first tiebreaker is regulation wins if they tie in points. OT wins and SO (skills competition) don't count in this case.

We couldve used this information 20 minutes ago Gregg!

JK, thank you. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.