Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Agree. I am not saying they Cup or even go on a playoff run yet. But I do think they will have a good regular season and make the playoffs. They need to improve the defense however but next year will be a good year. IMHO.

Why not think Stanley Cup championship next season? These are professional athletes that want to win. See I don’t understand this type of Buffalo fan? The players are competitive people it’s in there DNA. Devon Levi wants to win he isn’t thinking negative thoughts or five years from now. The athletes don’t go in three years to five years I might be ready to win. Athletes don’t think like that. Example ever play monopoly growing up with your family? You wanted to win? Right? You didn’t say well in five years maybe I will beat my older brother and father. Who does that? People don’t think like that at least competitive people don’t. I get I am older but holy cow have higher expectations than that. I am starting to understand it’s a generational thing which is really sad we have zero standards from many young Buffalo fans today basically players, coaches, owners get a forever free pass of losing at least the team is here type of thing in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Why not think Stanley Cup championship next season? These are professional athletes that want to win. See I don’t understand this type of Buffalo fan? The players are competitive people it’s in there DNA. Devon Levi wants to win he isn’t thinking negative thoughts or five years from now. The athletes don’t go in three years to five years I might be ready to win. Athletes don’t think like that. Example ever play monopoly growing up with your family? You wanted to win? Right? You didn’t say well in five years maybe I will beat my older brother and father. Who does that? People don’t think like that at least competitive people don’t. I get I am older but holy cow have higher expectations than that. I am starting to understand it’s a generational thing which is really sad we have zero standards from many young Buffalo fans today basically players, coaches, owners get a forever free pass of losing at least the team is here type of thing in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

If they can go on a Cup run and win it, then that is great. It's the hardest trophy in sports to win. Young team with little playoff experience probably won't win it all the 1st time they make the playoffs. Take the dynasty Islanders teams that won 4 in a row from 80-83. They got beat by the Leafs in 78 and hated Rangers in 79 before winning it all. The Oilers of the Gretsky era fell short including being swept in the 83 Finals by the Islanders before winning it all in 84. 

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

There is a reason why young teams do not go far in the NHL playoffs (typically) -- the players are simply not mature enough physically.  This is why it takes draft picks so long to develop...they are kids playing a man's game.  The difference between a rookie and a veteran doesn't show up as significantly in any other professional sport, but hockey is a GRIND.  You need to be a strong, grown-ass man to compete.

Mittelstadt is a great example.  Highly, highly skilled player who has been lost in the NHL until this season, when his body finally caught up.  You could use Tage as another example.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, eball said:

There is a reason why young teams do not go far in the NHL playoffs (typically) -- the players are simply not mature enough physically.  This is why it takes draft picks so long to develop...they are kids playing a man's game.  The difference between a rookie and a veteran doesn't show up as significantly in any other professional sport, but hockey is a GRIND.  You need to be a strong, grown-ass man to compete.

Mittelstadt is a great example.  Highly, highly skilled player who has been lost in the NHL until this season, when his body finally caught up.  You could use Tage as another example.

Cozens is another guy who has taken off with a couple more lbs and he still has a lot more room to fill out.  Dahlin's game has grown now that hes not getting pushed around out there.  The transition for a guy like Power is so much easier.  You can see he already has man strength and size when hes in the corners. IT also doesn't hurt that he has incredible skills.  

Quinn and Peterka would get exposed in the playoffs.  They got manhandled in the AHL playoffs last year.  Although Quinn is showing a lot more compete and toughness of late.  Peterka brings great speed and creativity but he gets beat up.

Even if they miraculously get into the post season and get completely smoked it will still be valuable for them to see how far away they are.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah but even the Sabres didn’t expect seven years for middts To develop

Like even a high schooler in the top 10 they expected much more

If he was picked 29th it would Be an easier pill to swallow… His return on investment is still not great

16 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

You have to roll with Levi until your eliminated, don't ya?

If there weren't 2 back-to-back games, it would be a no-brainer, but that will factor into it.  I'm curious to see who DG puts in net tonight.

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

If there weren't 2 back-to-back games, it would be a no-brainer, but that will factor into it.  I'm curious to see who DG puts in net tonight.

The only other Goalie we can play right now is Anderson. He is the only one who makes sense as the solid, consistent old man to get us through one game while the kid rests. Comrie or UPL is giving up the chance at the playoffs.

But I'd still ride the kid until the wheels fall off. He's young. He can handle it.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but even the Sabres didn’t expect seven years for middts To develop

Like even a high schooler in the top 10 they expected much more

If he was picked 29th it would Be an easier pill to swallow… His return on investment is still not great

I generally agree with that statement.  I have recently changed my tune on Mitts after seeing a stat that showed the last time the Sabres had this many guys over 50 points.  It was 2007 or 2006.

Heres a look at his draft class.  In terms of total point production, he doesn't look too bad.  

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft/nhl-entry-draft/2017

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I generally agree with that statement.  I have recently changed my tune on Mitts after seeing a stat that showed the last time the Sabres had this many guys over 50 points.  It was 2007 or 2006.

Heres a look at his draft class.  In terms of total point production, he doesn't look too bad.  

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft/nhl-entry-draft/2017

To be fair it was a pretty bad draft class

Your drafting a kid top 10 he should easily be top six Forward in your lineup

I don’t think middts is a top six player on a Stanley cup team.. 

he’s a 3rd line guy … And to be fair we’ve been absolutely God awful for 13 years

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The only other Goalie we can play right now is Anderson. He is the only one who makes sense as the solid, consistent old man to get us through one game while the kid rests. Comrie or UPL is giving up the chance at the playoffs.

But I'd still ride the kid until the wheels fall off. He's young. He can handle it.

I believe Anderson is still injured.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

I believe Anderson is still injured.

I had thought as much but couldnt find any info. I lost focus on Sabres news for a couple weeks there and wasnt sure what happened with Anderson, or what prompted Levi playing all of a sudden. Makes sense. Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

Well, I think that’s all she wrote. Down 5-2 with 2:00 to play. I don’t see 3 goals happening.

I was hoping that if they didn’t make the playoffs it would at least be because of games that were out of their control. Oh well. They still made a valiant push for a playoff spot after that disaster 8 losses in 9 game stretch in March where they failed to even pick up loser points in all but 2 losses. They just left themselves too slim of a margin of error to overcome it.

Im still proud of the progress they made this season. I said at the beginning of the year I’d consider it a success if they just stayed in the playoff race late into the season. The 2nd to last game of the year was meaningful. So id say they definitely accomplished that. Sure as heck a lot better than being eliminated from playoff contention in February…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well, I think that’s all she wrote. Down 5-2 with 2:00 to play. I don’t see 3 goals happening.

I was hoping that if they didn’t make the playoffs it would at least be because of games that were out of their control. Oh well. They still made a valiant push for a playoff spot after that disaster 8 losses in 9 game stretch in March where they failed to even pick up loser points in all but 2 losses. They just left themselves too slim of a margin of error to overcome it.

Im still proud of the progress they made this season. I said at the beginning of the year I’d consider it a success if they just stayed in the playoff race late into the season. The 2nd to last game of the year was meaningful. So id say they definitely accomplished that. Sure as heck a lot better than being eliminated from playoff contention in February…

Looking forward to next season! Now the sports lull begins for me, sigh. 

• Like (+1) 1

Made it 80 games in and still in the hunt. A lot of entertaining hockey played. That's about all I could ask for from this young team.

Future is bright. Especially with Levi looking decent.

Nice for hockey to be fun again. They even had me watching games between other teams during the season.

Rock em Sabes!

• Like (+1) 2

You all make me sick!  The Buffalo Sabres miss the playoffs again but most of you want to console the players well it aint my job to there mommy or daddy!  Buffalo Sabres fans in 1972 didn't accept anything other than championships and that was the key to their success though they never did win anything.  12 years no playoffs, Terry Peligula deserves to be in a jail cell next to John Rigas who is the biggest crook since that green fella who stole christmas some years back.  This city has been all down hill since the man shot president McKinley but at least he showed a little gumption.  The kids today are just happy to get their participation trophies for skateboarding on the sidewalk almost knocked me down and broke my neck last night, godammit!  Anyhow I'm all out of butterscotch and its 5 months until camp starts.  Praying for a sinkhole to come and swallow us up.  Lets go Sabres! Lets Go Buffalo!

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You all make me sick!  The Buffalo Sabres miss the playoffs again but most of you want to console the players well it aint my job to there mommy or daddy!  Buffalo Sabres fans in 1972 didn't accept anything other than championships and that was the key to their success though they never did win anything.  12 years no playoffs, Terry Peligula deserves to be in a jail cell next to John Rigas who is the biggest crook since that green fella who stole christmas some years back.  This city has been all down hill since the man shot president McKinley but at least he showed a little gumption.  The kids today are just happy to get their participation trophies for skateboarding on the sidewalk almost knocked me down and broke my neck last night, godammit!  Anyhow I'm all out of butterscotch and its 5 months until camp starts.  Praying for a sinkhole to come and swallow us up.  Lets go Sabres! Lets Go Buffalo!

BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, eball said:

Again the 1975 Buffalo Sabres never made the Stanley Cup Finals after making it real young. That is a myth older players get stronger slow and broken down. Your give the Buffalo Sabres a crutch to lose next and the year after until some day well there ready now it doesn’t work that way. You seize the opportunity the moment not fantasyland analytics crap to give commuter nerds jobs in a billion dollar industry. The analytics people I have zero belief in and I would even let them in my office they completely incompetent. Give me Bill Belichick, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry those were men that knew what the hell they were doing and you knew your team was in good hands the heck with analytics people they are incompetent and a waste of time and money. Some players peak early and by 27 or 28 years old there done for a lot of reasons. Injuries, timing better teams come along. If I use your example the Edmonton Oilers wouldn’t be playing the New York Islanders in the 1980’s playoffs it would be the Buffalo Sabres who were older than the Edmonton Oilers and New York Islanders Gilbert Perrault, Rick Martin and Bob Sauve.

Sports don’t work that way. I am going to tank. Then I am going to send Billy to Rochester for seasoning. Then I going to call Billy up but since he is young and not old and built up body wise yet Billy can lose for two or three years. That is all ridiculous. Wayne Gretzky never won when he got older with the Los Angeles Kings, St Louis Blues and New York Rangers. You seize your opportunity when it comes. Next year I expect the Stanley Cup championship because that is what normal Buffalo Sabres fans think not analytics crap that is a excuse for failure and losing. Bill Belichick is the best do your job I don’t want to hear the excuses woulda, coulda, shoulda is just excuses for failure in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.