USC DT May Enter Supplemental Draft

NFL | Wright may Consider Supplemental Draft - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 10 May 2005 06:32:57 -0700

The Los Angeles Times reports USC DL Manuel Wright is deciding whether to return to school for the 2005 season or make himself available for an NFL supplemental draft, according to his father. He said a decision by his son could come as soon as Wednesday, May 11. Manuel Wright bypassed spring practice to work on his academic issues.

The kid always seemed very good to me when I watched SC. He was stuck behind Cody, but broke away from the pack when Cody switched to DE. I wouldn't mind grabbing him if he was still there in Round 3. Here's some info on him:

http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports...t_manuel01.html

He may be a good pick-up in terms of future use, but fans place far too much value on draft picks or rookies to provde immediate benefit to a team. TD is on record stating that only about 50% of first round choices do not disappoint and this rule of thumb has not been proven wrong by any statistical analysis that I have seen and it would be fairly easy to calculate how many 1st round choices became 1st year starters (though even this number will overstate he value of first round picks since it is possible to start and be disappointing in your development).

thus the suggestion in the subject of this thread that Wright will be a replacement for our immediate needs of a replacement for Phat Pat are just simply quite unlikely unless you know something about Wright none of the NFL professionals know.

I think trading a future draft pick for immediate help or training is generally a good idea (even the Bledsoe deal was a good deal to make initally as he provided great value to the Bills in 2002 while the 2003 draft pick traded for him provided zero value in 2002. it defined getting something for nothing initially). However, the value of getting Wright in a supplemental is more likely to be the delayed value of getting JP in 2004 for a 2005 pick that provided no value last year.

JP did nothing on the field for the Bills in 2004, but the trainging time he got as a mop up QB and the invaluable opportunity to learn from Sam Wyche made this a good deal. When you add to that the sense that if JP had stayed in, he may well have been the 1st QB taken trading nothing in 2004 for something even if it was merely training was a great move.