Alito's Argument On Abortion Relies Heavily On Opinions Formed Before Women Could Vote

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

Fox News - Martha MacCallum just said Alito is “going too far”

Tucker Trump is probably dialing her right now. 

lolz

Perhaps, I don't see it as going too far.  The whole thing was a farce, the SCOTUS doesn't make law, so I agree with his opinion, but I would support the legislative branch creating a law.  Just not the law that Schumer wants to put forth now allowing abortion up until the baby is 11 years old.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Alito---or which ever one wrote it---relied VERY heavily of legal scholars from well before that. Edward Coke was a judge in the late 1500's and early 1600's, and he approvingly had witches burned. And there are some from even longer ago, specifically about abortion. That's ridiculous 

This was interesting.  To summarize your point:

• In the 50 years since Roe was decided, Justice Alito is the only SC Justice, legal scholar, or law professor to ever view the law as problematic, and that's because he supports witch burning;
  • All women should subjugate their right to vote on issues of your choosing, because women should have the right to choose as you see fit;
  • Alito is the first and only SC justice to reference precedent from days long past.  

You wonder why we have issues as a country. :doh:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• Tiberius changed the title to Alito's Argument On Abortion Relies Heavily On Opinions Formed Before Women Could Vote
1 hour ago, Delete_Account said:

Yeah, and that 20-30% overall number drops to about 10% specifically for women under the age of 40. Imagine that…the will of 90% of the nation’s demographic most directly impacted by the ruling…overruled by 5 or 6 individuals….DEMOCRACY!

P.S. Thank you, BillsTime, for your tireless women’s rights advocacy in this decidedly right-wing male subforum. Same goes for Tibsy, 716er, and The Governor.

Should we listen to someone who uses a symbol of a totally failed regime that destroyed half a continent for about three generations?

Or maybe we should look at past attempts at prescience.

From "Delete Account."

Feb 15

A Russian invasion of Ukraine is highly unlikely because all the players in this stupid game are ultimately rational actors. Everyone here stands to lose so much more in the long run (economically and militarily) than they can ever hope to win. So fingers crossed, but yes it’s looking a lot more like political theater serving to benefit multiple international leaders, namely Biden and Putin, with their respective constituencies’ approval. The worldwide military-industrial complex is also benefiting greatly, of course, and this may very well be the main motivation.

For anyone still wondering what Russia’s endgame is, the best guess would be “economic leverage into the European market.” All of Putin’s aggressive military posturing strikes me as his own unique style of diplomacy. Is he trying to rebuild the Slavic empire from the glory days of the Soviet Union, with the invasion of Ukraine as the first key step? Very doubtful. Way too costly, IMO.

NIce call.

Edited by sherpa
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Another super serious person who has dutifully changed her Twitter account to make sure we all know that she 'stands with Ukraine'.   This has not one, but TWO Ukrainian flags.  She must really, really stand with Ukraine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Tibs I expected more out of you. The discussion is the balancing of the rights of women vs the rights of the child. To act as if it is not a living person is being disingenuous or anti science.

Alito makes no claim about the rights of the "child" at all. This pre-ruling has nothing at all to do with when a fetus becomes a human. He is just saying there is a history of law banning women from exercising control of their bodies. And in his view that makes it ok for states to have the choice of who gets or doesn't get an abortion 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Alito makes no claim about the rights of the "child" at all. This pre-ruling has nothing at all to do with when a fetus becomes a human. He is just saying there is a history of law banning women from exercising control of their bodies. And in his view that makes it ok for states to have the choice of who gets or doesn't get an abortion 

But that’s what you’re advocating, Tibs, “banning women” from “exercising” the right to vote.  This is an extremely patriarchal point of view. 

I think you just see them as the wrong type of woman.  There’s a trend here. 

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

But that’s what you’re advocating, Tibs, “banning women” from “exercising” the right to vote.  This is an extremely patriarchal point of view. 

I think you just see them as the wrong type of woman.  There’s a trend here. 

🤨

14 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Another super serious person who has dutifully changed her Twitter account to make sure we all know that she 'stands with Ukraine'.   This has not one, but TWO Ukrainian flags.  She must really, really stand with Ukraine. 

yes, the ubiquitous liberal lockstep Ukrainian flag M.O. ...... what's obvious is the lack of American flag in these Twitter profiles.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Delete_Account said:

Yeah, and that 20-30% overall number drops to about 10% specifically for women under the age of 40. Imagine that…the will of 90% of the nation’s demographic most directly impacted by the ruling…overruled by 5 or 6 individuals….DEMOCRACY!

P.S. Thank you, BillsTime, for your tireless women’s rights advocacy in this decidedly right-wing male subforum. Same goes for Tibsy, 716er, and The Governor.

Let me guess, you’re an angry man who dresses like a woman? You should change your name to tootsie. 

• Dislike 1