Onto UDFA - Why they matter

RocCityRoller

So the draft is in the books. I wish all the new drafted Bills well, whether I, or we liked the picks or not.

Why is UDFA Important? Well you can find some amazing players there. In the week leading up to the draft I tried to put together an all UDFA team from 2010 to 2015. I figured the guys in that range were close enough to be known by most fans, but be near the end of their careers. Some UDFA from 2010-2015 that made a difference:

OL:

LT - Alejandro Villenueva

C - David Andrews

OG - Andrew Norwell

OG - Austin Howard

OT - La'el Collins

OG - Quinton Spain

OG - Ronald Leary

OT - Mike Remmers

C/G - Trey Hopkins

RB:

RB - LeGarrette Blount

RB - Chris Ivory

RB - CJ Anderson

RB - Isaiah Crowell

RB - Brandon Bolden

TE:

TE - Jack Doyle

TE - Cameron Brate

TE - Trey Burton

TE - Jeff Cumberland

WR:

WR - Adam Thielen

WR - Victor Cruz

WR - Doug Baldwin

WR - Cole Beasley

WR - Allen Hurns

WR - Tyrell Williams

WR - Taylor Gabriel

WR - Adam Humphreys

WR - Willie Snead

WR - Albert Wilson

DL:

DT - Big Snacks Harrison

DT - Denico Autry

DE - Mario Addison

DT - Abry Jones

LB:

LB - Vontaze Burfict

LB - Shaquil Barrett

LB - Nick Bellore

LB - Paul Warrilow

LB - Junior Gallette

DB:

CB - Chris Harris Jr (potential HOF)

CB - Sam Shields

CB - AJ Bouye

CB - Malcolm Butler

CB - Quentin Dunbar

CB - Nickell Robey-Coleman

S - Darian Stewart

S - Tashaun Gipson

S - Michael Thomas

S - Barry Church

S - Adrian Phillips

S - Brynden Trawic

ST:

K - Justin Tucker

K - Jason Myers

K - Dan Bailey

K - Chris Boswell

P - Johnny Hekker

LS - too many Pro Bowl LS to note

QB:

QB - Case Keenum

QB - Taylor Heinicke

QB - Kellen Moore

What UDFA do you want to join Buffalo?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Thank you for putting so much work into this. An impressive list, to be sure.

Illustrates how scouting is such an inexact science. You just can't quantify the psychological aspect of a prospect.

It was a labor of love. I plan on doing more. I think we don't realize how many UDFA are really good players in the league.

I have found QB/ C/ DE/ TE/ LT/ RG are the hardest positions to fill in UDFA

CB/ LG/ RT/ WR have great potential

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Thank you for putting so much work into this. An impressive list, to be sure.

Illustrates how scouting is such an inexact science. You just can't quantify the psychological aspect of a prospect.

12 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

It was a labor of love. I plan on doing more. I think we don't realize how many UDFA are really good players in the league.

I have found QB/ C/ DE/ TE/ LT/ RG are the hardest positions to fill in UDFA

CB/ LG/ RT/ WR have great potential

Although very true - UDFAs also make up a huge number of roster players.  Most teams sign between 10-15 UDFA a year - so there are between 300-400 UDFAs every year - compared to 32-50 in each round.

There are some excellent UDFAs that have made it through, but % wise it is minuscule and has minor impact on teams each year.  Important- especially for training camp bodies - but very minor.

They do become underdog stories that we love though.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Although very true - UDFAs also make up a huge number of roster players.  Most teams sign between 10-15 UDFA a year - so there are between 300-400 UDFAs every year - compared to 32-50 in each round.

There are some excellent UDFAs that have made it through, but % wise it is minuscule and has minor impact on teams each year.  Important- especially for training camp bodies - but very minor.

They do become underdog stories that we love though.

So it was one of those bored late night thoughts. Could I build a competitive team with only UDFA for a 5-6 year span?

How much value do UDFA actually provide? 2010-2015 seemed like a good place to start since those guys played in the modern era, and had the best stats.

I am old enough to remember the days of the NFL draft going 14 or 15 rounds.

I found out a team made up of 2010-2015 draft UDFA could be competitive and fight for a playoff position for the 2015-2018 seasons.

There were multiple Pro-Bowlers, AP and PFW AP selectons, NFL Rookie selections and PFF selections.

A bunch of guys who started for Super Bowl winning teams.

QB was a mess as expected. C/ LT/ DE was also tough, but we got lucky in those positions in these years.

WR/ CB/ LG/ RT ended up having very good talent. Better than expected.

It showed me UDFA is still important and real Pro Bowlers/ All Pros/ SB starters can be found in UDFA in the modern era

4 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

So it was one of those bored late night thoughts. Could I build a competitive team with only UDFA for a 5-6 year span?

How much value do UDFA actually provide? 2010-2015 seemed like a good place to start since those guys played in the modern era, and had the best stats.

I am old enough to remember the days of the NFL draft going 14 or 15 rounds.

I found out a team made up of 2010-2015 draft UDFA could be competitive and fight for a playoff position for the 2015-2018 seasons.

There were multiple Pro-Bowlers, AP and PFW AP selectons, NFL Rookie selections and PFF selections.

A bunch of guys who started for Super Bowl winning teams.

QB was a mess as expected. C/ LT/ DE was also tough, but we got lucky in those positions in these years.

WR/ CB/ LG/ RT ended up having very good talent. Better than expected.

It showed me UDFA is still important and real Pro Bowlers/ All Pros/ SB starters can be found in UDFA in the modern era

Oh I don’t discount that you can find talent at most positions - especially now with a 7 round draft - there are Hundreds of guys that used to be drafted, but aren’t now.

The trick is you can field a competitive team of UDFAs over 5 years to compete, but that requires finding 30-40 players out of 2000 UDFA.  So a little over 1% become good enough to field a competitive team.

Across the league there are very good players from the UDFA ranks and I love the exercise - it just needs to be remembered that the actual % of impact players (even starter level) is tiny.

Sorry - do not mean to sound like I am crapping on the exercise because I like the thought - it just drives me crazy when people go insane over missing out on signing a guy that isn’t making any roster, but is a camp body only.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

And Jason Peters. 

Who is an UNRESTRICTED free agent who played and played well for $2M last season.    Just sayin' Beane.   Could use someone who could actually play some LT if Dawkins goes down.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Oh I don’t discount that you can find talent at most positions - especially now with a 7 round draft - there are Hundreds of guys that used to be drafted, but aren’t now.

The trick is you can field a competitive team of UDFAs over 5 years to compete, but that requires finding 30-40 players out of 2000 UDFA.  So a little over 1% become good enough to field a competitive team.

Across the league there are very good players from the UDFA ranks and I love the exercise - it just needs to be remembered that the actual % of impact players (even starter level) is tiny.

Sorry - do not mean to sound like I am crapping on the exercise because I like the thought - it just drives me crazy when people go insane over missing out on signing a guy that isn’t making any roster, but is a camp body only.

100% agree. I just wanted to point out some of the top talent that drops out of the 7 round draft.

1/2 of the DBs in Denver's 'no fly zone' defense were UDFA. I did not know that! They won a Super Bowl.

I had to make tough choices at RB/ RT/ LG/ WR and CB. That seems so odd given those are supposed to be higher draft picks (OT/ CB/ WR at least)

It also shows with good management the league could expand 1 team, maybe 2. QB is the real issue.

My 2010-2015 UDFA team is pretty solid. This is without any benefit of a draft or FA.

I should buy a Madden game circa 2018-2020 and build my UDFA team and try to win with it for ***** and giggles.

26 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

And Jason Peters. 

Before this exercise but he and Pat Williams would be cornerstones of an earlier team.

2 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

So the draft is in the books. I wish all the new drafted Bills well, whether I, or we liked the picks or not.

Why is UDFA Important? Well you can find some amazing players there. In the week leading up to the draft I tried to put together an all UDFA team from 2010 to 2015. I figured the guys in that range were close enough to be known by most fans, but be near the end of their careers. Some UDFA from 2010-2015 that made a difference:

OL:

LT - Alejandro Villenueva

C - David Andrews

OG - Andrew Norwell

OG - Austin Howard

OT - La'el Collins

OG - Quinton Spain

OG - Ronald Leary

OT - Mike Remmers

C/G - Trey Hopkins

RB:

RB - LeGarrette Blount

RB - Chris Ivory

RB - CJ Anderson

RB - Isaiah Crowell

RB - Brandon Bolden

TE:

TE - Jack Doyle

TE - Cameron Brate

TE - Trey Burton

TE - Jeff Cumberland

WR:

WR - Adam Thielen

WR - Victor Cruz

WR - Doug Baldwin

WR - Cole Beasley

WR - Allen Hurns

WR - Tyrell Williams

WR - Taylor Gabriel

WR - Adam Humphreys

WR - Willie Snead

WR - Albert Wilson

DL:

DT - Big Snacks Harrison

DT - Denico Autry

DE - Mario Addison

DT - Abry Jones

LB:

LB - Vontaze Burfict

LB - Shaquil Barrett

LB - Nick Bellore

LB - Paul Warrilow

LB - Junior Gallette

DB:

CB - Chris Harris Jr (potential HOF)

CB - Sam Shields

CB - AJ Bouye

CB - Malcolm Butler

CB - Quentin Dunbar

CB - Nickell Robey-Coleman

S - Darian Stewart

S - Tashaun Gipson

S - Michael Thomas

S - Barry Church

S - Adrian Phillips

S - Brynden Trawic

ST:

K - Justin Tucker

K - Jason Myers

K - Dan Bailey

K - Chris Boswell

P - Johnny Hekker

LS - too many Pro Bowl LS to note

QB:

QB - Case Keenum

QB - Taylor Heinicke

QB - Kellen Moore

What UDFA do you want to join Buffalo?

Can't believe you left Levi Wallace off  the list.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Can't believe you left Levi Wallace off  the list.

Levi Wallace was a UDFA in 2018. This team is UDFA 2010-2015.

I liked that range because most of those guys careers are 'in the books' so to speak, but most members would know them.

I'll probably go back to do 1990-1995, 1995-2000, 2000-2005, 2005-2010 etc.

If I do a 2015-2020 UDFA team he will probably be a lock as CB2 on it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

This was posted an hour ago, you started that thread 15 minutes ago?

The thread you noted is current 2022 undrafted players.

Since we are in draft mode, there will be the expected melt downs on this board.

My thread shows guys who were undrafted and went on to be excellent NFL players from the 2010 to 2015 drafts.

This thread is a hypothetical exercise looking at a snapshot of UDFA's from 2010-2015 that could be assembled together to make a competitive team.

aka could someone put together a team of undrafted players over a 5-6 yr span and make a legitimate team?

The answer is yes. A team of 2010-2015 UDFA would probably be a .500 team or better from 2015-2018.

QB is the main issue. Most other positions are well filled. (QB/ C/ LT/ DE) were the hardest to fill.

Just a fun hypothetical exercise for a 33rd team, like one in London, if they were limited to UDFAs.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Levi Wallace was a UDFA in 2018. This team is UDFA 2010-2015.

I liked that range because most of those guys careers are 'in the books' so to speak, but most members would know them.

I'll probably go back to do 1990-1995, 1995-2000, 2000-2005, 2005-2010 etc.

If I do a 2015-2020 UDFA team he will probably be a lock as CB2 on it.

I even re read your post, to see if there was some criteria that made Wallace ineligible, missed the year range part.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.