Mike Gomez

You do know who I'm talking about, don't you? He's the tight end long snapper Buffalo signed and then allocated to Amsterdam in NFL Europe. I'm watching the game between Amsterdam and Frankfort, and he's getting his name called a lot for good things. They are describing him as having very good hands, and some speed. They also mention his long snapping favorably. They haven't talked about his blocking. One obvious drawback, he's got to put on some meat. At 6'6" he only weighs 240. I know he doesn't have the greatest pedigree, but with the Bills thin at TE if Campbell and Ehus need a little more time, maybe he can help.

I think this team may look like it's evovling into a passing scheme but it's a running team at heart. We need people who can block and I think the emphasis at TE will be for guys who can do that very well.

Mularkey didn't use his TE's at Pitt as pass catchers.

I saw a bit of that game, and I think they said he was 235, pretty light for a TE, of course.

You would think the Bills would offer him advice on getting bigger, but maybe there is not much he can do about it until after the NFLE season ends, in June, I think.

From June until camp at the end of July, he could likely bulk up some, but probably will need to rest up for a spell between seasons.

I think he's been doing well, but that doesn't mean he's ready to come in here and make a contribution with the big boys. He is on the lighter side and apparently his blocking skills aren't that good. If you remember a couple years ago, Ken Simonton was the NFL Europe MVP and came back and didn't make the team. So, just remember to keep things in perspective.

He is listed at 240 on the Bills website. Whether 235 or 240, I agree it's too light by a good 20-25 lbs or more. I didn't know what his blocking is like. I think he's got some skills and some upside, but I guess he's not enough of a finished product to be able to help the Bills this year.

I think this team may look like it's evovling into a passing scheme but it's a running team at heart.  We need people who can block and I think the emphasis at TE will be for guys who can do that very well. 

Mularkey didn't use his TE's at Pitt as pass catchers.

331513[/snapback]

A new NFL QB can always use a 6'6" TE with hands.

In his 1st year with the Bills, Kelly often used Pete Metzelaars as his go to guy when the heat was on - because he could find him! :unsure:

From what I recall, the ONLY positions that have been successfully developed in NFLE are QB and K/P.  Maybe an OL here or there.

331735[/snapback]

Dante Hall

Dane Looker

Tom Nutten

Bill Schroeder

Barry Sims

Barry Stokes

Keith Traylor

Joe Andruzzi

Marcus Robinson

Mike Maslowski

Marco Rivera

Ben Hamilton

Michael Lewis

La’Roi Glover

Just a few of the non-QB or non-K/P that come to mind active on NFL teams.

It's like everything in life - you get what you put in....and the Bills have not been as active in using Europe League as a developmental tool in the same way as say the Chiefs, Broncos and Pats.

I guess the other way to also look at NFLEL is that you find out who CAN'T make it thus saving some $$$$$.

Though the standard isn't always great, think it's unfair to think of it as only a QB and kicker league.

It's like everything in life - you get what you put in....and the Bills have not been as active in using Europe League as a developmental tool in the same way as say the Chiefs, Broncos and Pats.

I guess the other way to also look at NFLEL is that you find out who CAN'T make it thus saving some $$$$$.

Though the standard isn't always great, think it's unfair to think of it as only a QB and kicker league.

332395[/snapback]

You're right.

I think it depends on the teams philosophy. Some like to develop 'in house' and use NLFEL as a extended tryout, and some use the NFLEL as a practice squad. How you are using that particular tool which dictates what you put in to it.

Dante Hall

Dane Looker

Tom Nutten

Bill Schroeder

Barry Sims

Barry Stokes

Keith Traylor

Joe Andruzzi

Marcus Robinson

Mike Maslowski

Marco Rivera

Ben Hamilton

Michael Lewis

La’Roi Glover

Just a few of the non-QB or non-K/P that come to mind active on NFL teams.

Thanks for the above list. I didn't realize that more than a few players were developed there. But still, the odds are highly-stacked against Gomez. I hope he does well for the Bills, but in any event, I doubt he does much for the Bills this year after a full NFLE season (remember Moorman?).