Looks like NYS might change the Sun. alcohol law..

I was reading the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle today and I noticed a little blurb about a Bill that was passed by the state assembly and will now go to the Senate. Here's the Bill....

A00914 Memo:

TITLE OF BILL: An act to amend the alcoholic beverage control law, in relation to issuance of summons and to repeal section 105-a of such law, relating to prohibiting the sale of beer for off-premises consumption on Sunday during certain hours.

PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL:

This bill would repeal the section of law that forbids retail establishments from selling beer for off-premises consumption on Sundays between 3 A.M. and12 noon.

SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS:

Repeals section 105-a of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Law.

JUSTIFICATION:

This section of law is an archaic one, a holdover from the blue laws that were put into effect when most businesses were closed on Sundays and society was very different. With people attending religious services at varying times and days, not just on Sunday mornings, this prohibition doesn`t seem practical today. The law also needlessly inconveniences citizens whose faith or lack of faith has no relevance to Sunday morning. Also, by repealing this section it would make it easier for people traveling and families picnicking to stop at the store in the morning to get their groceries for the day. The bill would also eliminate a de facto mandate on small businesses who have to carry out the prohibition by denying customers their selected purchase.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A00914

Down here in GA, you can't buy it at all on Sundays. You can still get it from a bar/restaurant, though - IN MOST counties. There are plenty around here that can't serve it on Sunday at all.

So instead of sitting at home and drinking a beer, I'll make sure I *drive* a county away and put a few down, and then *drive* back.

They're talking about repealing it in South Carolina, but I haven't heard about anything in GA... I can see the Baptist crowd up in arms should they try, though.

This makes sense with all the unemployed, impoverished and poor on the state of New York, being able to buy alcohol on Sundays should help them deal with al of life's problems.

Honestly though, New York has been way too strict on stuff like this for a while, and its that strict, "we're not gonna change our ways" old school mentality that has hurt the state.

I got out of that hell hole a while ago and down here in Arizona, I can say that the government and people are much more willing to make changes and accept change for the better. That is eveident by all the rapid development and job growth that is seen down here.

The law is even more strict. I had a friend that owned a liquor store in Buffalo for a while. On Sunday mornings, you could not even set foot in the store before noon. If someone from the control board spotted you even sweeping the floors, your licence could be in trouble.

This makes sense with all the unemployed, impoverished and poor on the state of New York, being able to buy alcohol on Sundays should help them deal with al of life's problems. 

Honestly though, New York has been way too strict on stuff like this for a while, and its that strict, "we're not gonna change our ways" old school mentality that has hurt the state. 

I got out of that hell hole a while ago and down here in Arizona, I can say that the government and people are much more willing to make changes and accept change for the better.  That is eveident by all the rapid development and job growth that is seen down here.

331215[/snapback]

Yeah, the Blue Laws are what's holding New York back.... :o

Actually, I think the Blue Laws help alcoholics learn about planning ahead and saving. This can help them learn to save and invest their wages once they get back on the wagon. :doh:

Why? Have you ever observed a scarcity of alcohol at a pre-game tailgate?  :o  :doh:

331161[/snapback]

No, but that's because the boozers drink their beer slower since they can't buy anymore. If they can buy it in the morning, the boozers will drink even more. Just watch.