Thoughts on St Peters

Another Fan

From a local standpoint it was a very intriguing story.  I usually don’t watch college hoops all that much on a broader scale.  

But it seems the team is all but breaking up.  Holloway took a coaching job with Seton Hall and 3 other players are transferring

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33676088/saint-peter-star-trio-daryl-banks-matthew-lee-doug-edert-enter-transfer-portal?platform=amp

I mean I get it.  Holloway went to Seton Hall and that’s probably his dream coaching job.  The other three players can get bigger name recognition and don’t want to adapt to a new coach. 

But I mean the grass isn’t always greener per say.  Why not build a foundation for that program going forward?  Holloway coulda been king at St. Peter’s over time.

Since there’s a lot of college hoops fans on the board be interested to hear thoughts.  

The coaches are always going to look to be at a bigger program. Happened at UB when they had success then Hurley going to Arizona St followed by Oats leaving to Alabama. Players end up leaving too. It's unfortunately the sad reality of low and mid major programs. 

Being a coach at any major conference school is always going to be a better option than king at St. Peters (or Canisius, Niagara etc.)

I don't think WNY'ers consider St Peters local.    Most WNY'ers had likely never even heard of St Peters basketball.

From a Bills fan standpoint..........a lot more Bills fans interested in the Carolina teams in the tournament than a team from NJ.    You can't throw a rock in WNY without hitting someone with family and friends in the Carolina's.

29 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

From a local standpoint it was a very intriguing story.  I usually don’t watch college hoops all that much on a broader scale.  

But it seems the team is all but breaking up.  Holloway took a coaching job with Seton Hall and 3 other players are transferring

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33676088/saint-peter-star-trio-daryl-banks-matthew-lee-doug-edert-enter-transfer-portal?platform=amp

I mean I get it.  Holloway went to Seton Hall and that’s probably his dream coaching job.  The other three players can get bigger name recognition and don’t want to adapt to a new coach. 

But I mean the grass isn’t always greener per say.  Why not build a foundation for that program going forward?  Holloway coulda been king at St. Peter’s over time.

Since there’s a lot of college hoops fans on the board be interested to hear thoughts.  

I hear you. I can forgive Holloway because the timing and job were too perfect to pass up. This is not only his dream job, but he had major success and his mentor was leaving SHU right now. 

As to the players, I totally agree. This is the new reality of college bball. It’s going to be like AAU. And guys hopping around from team to team— I don’t think it will help their development. There is a lot to be gained by going to play under a great coach, and getting coached up and developed over time.

• Like (+1) 1

Small programs like that are always just going to be used as a stepping stone for coaches and players to get to that next level.  It's sad though if you are a local or fan of that said program but for that reason alone I don't think I could ever get attached to any small time college program.  I have never really cared about any of the local college teams in WNY. 

48 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hear you. I can forgive Holloway because the timing and job were too perfect to pass up. This is not only his dream job, but he had major success and his mentor was leaving SHU right now. 

As to the players, I totally agree. This is the new reality of college bball. It’s going to be like AAU. And guys hopping around from team to team— I don’t think it will help their development. There is a lot to be gained by going to play under a great coach, and getting coached up and developed over time.

Yeah like the Edert kid from St Pete’s.  

North Carolina seemed to put forth the perfect game plan to shut him down.  If he thinks he’s gonna all of a sudden be a star in a major program I think he may be kidding himself.  

15 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Small programs like that are always just going to be used as a stepping stone for coaches and players to get to that next level.  It's sad though if you are a local or fan of that said program but for that reason alone I don't think I could ever get attached to any small time college program.  I have never really cared about any of the local college teams in WNY. 

Granted I don’t really have a college team I like or got into that whole scene.

But if I were to watch it games like St Peters vs Monmouth on a local basis interest me more than Duke vs UNC.

Thats just me though 😅

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DRsGhost said:

The coaches are always going to look to be at a bigger program. Happened at UB when they had success then Hurley going to Arizona St followed by Oats leaving to Alabama. Players end up leaving too. It's unfortunately the sad reality of low and mid major programs. 

Being a coach at any major conference school is always going to be a better option than king at St. Peters (or Canisius, Niagara etc.)

And just happened again with Felicia Leggette Jack leaving for Syracuse and all of UB's best players followed her.

7 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

And it’s not just the small schools. All schools are stepping stones all the way to the top of the mountain. I graduated from Xavier in the 80’s. They became regulars in the NCAA tournament and had a bunch of Sweet 16’s and Elite 8’s. Coach after coach left for bigger schools and huge raises. Ohio State, Arizona and Louisville can offer a couple million more per year for a hot Head Coach. That is hard to turn down. Most recently we lost Chris Mack to Louisville after being a #1 seed in the tournament. 

As these coaches who recruited you for years leave for more money at other schools, I have to feel for the kids who are “stuck” in place. If the coach has mobility, I think it’s only fair if the player has mobility. I do NOT LIKE IT, but I understand it and it seems like they should have that option without sitting out a year, at least one time. 

Rosters are so fluid it’s hard to keep up with now. You no longer develop guys over 4 years. That ended with the one and done’s, and it’s only accelerated with the transfer portal. I’ll will enjoy college basketball a little less as a result, but that’s life. 

If you’re a Xavier fan, the good news is Sean Miller returned to Xavier (yeah, after getting in trouble in Arizona) and took less money (but still a fortune) than was offered by some other bigger schools. The guy has made his money and he’s only 53, so it’s more about a comfortable fit than chasing the almighty dollar at this point for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.