First Review -- "Revenge of the Sith"

:blink:  re: Luke

Yep, Lucas is on record as saying that Anakin is actually the chosen one.

332238[/snapback]

Lucas, who's he? :unsure:

Actually, I have a hard time seeing Vader tossing the Emperor into the pit on his own, if Luke didn't show up.

Maybe we should be having this conversation waiting in line for the movie to open, wearing the gear of our favorite stormtrooper or wookie. :lol:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but it doesn't really matter.  The prophecy states that the Chosen One will destroy the Sith, and Anakin is the one who does that.

Man, I feel like a dork. :unsure:

332254[/snapback]

So let me adjust my tuskan raider headgear and ask you, was the prophecy that the sith would be destroyed, or was it that there would be balance brought to the force? Because I see them as two different things.

Does anyone know where I can find C-3PO poster suitable for framing? :blink:

That's a great point.....In fact, the negative reviews that came out for the first two prequels failed to look at things in those terms. These movies are meant to be entertainment above anything else. Those of us that allow them to be just that are the ones who usually 'get it'.

331189[/snapback]

the problem with the first two is that the plots are practically incomprehensible. i've seen them more than once (my five year old son is a huge fan), and i still don't understand the motive forces driving the trade federation, the genosians, etc. (and it's not like i'm an idiot - i have a freakin' phd in history and am a book editor for a press that publishes very dense and difficult books.) i suspect that some of the explanatory material was left on the cutting room floor in order for the film to meet a prescribed time length. either that or lucas lost his basic storytelling skills ...

Man, I feel like a dork. :unsure:

332254[/snapback]

:blink: Why? SW is fun, no more no less...I don't explore the in's and out's of the plots of the stories, but I like to hear the thoughts of the folks that do. I consider it good insight that makes watching 'em more enjoyable.

So let me adjust my tuskan raider headgear and ask you, was the prophecy that the sith would be destroyed, or was it that there would be balance brought to the force?  Because I see them as two different things.

A very good question, and were I not to have the screenplay on my hard drive, I wouldn't have an answer. But I do! :unsure:

The answer is that "destroying the Sith" and "bringing balance to the Force" seem to be used as essentially interchangable terms.

OBI-WAN: With all due respect, Master, is he not the Chosen One? Is he not to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force?

--------------------------------

OBI-WAN: (continuing) . . . You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. It was you who would bring balance to the Force, not leave it in Darkness.

So I guess the Force is out of balance whenever there exist Sith to use it for evil.

A very good question, and were I not to have the screenplay on my hard drive, I wouldn't have an answer.  But I do! :unsure:

The answer is that "destroying the Sith" and "bringing balance to the Force" seem to be used as essentially interchangable terms.

OBI-WAN: With all due respect, Master, is he not the Chosen One? Is he not to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force?

OBI-WAN: (continuing) . . . You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. It was you who would bring balance to the Force, not leave it in Darkness.

So I guess the Force is out of balance whenever there exist Sith to use it for evil.

332275[/snapback]

Cool, thanks!

So let me adjust my tuskan raider headgear and ask you, was the prophecy that the sith would be destroyed, or was it that there would be balance brought to the force?  Because I see them as two different things.

332261[/snapback]

I think they are two different things with teh same answer - Anikan.

As far as balance in concered - that is the Yin-Yang duality concept. It was Anikan who made the creation of the Empire possible and thus creating the rebellion/Empire power struggle (i.e. balance).

It was also Anikan who defeated the Sith.

:lol:   Why? SW is fun, no more no less...I don't explore the in's and out's of the plots of the stories, but I like to hear the thoughts of the folks that do. I consider it good insight that makes watching 'em more enjoyable.

True, true. I suppose I'll take comfort in the fact that the REAL dorks are the ones who quit their jobs to wait in line for a year, all while wearing a home-made Boba Fett costume. :unsure::blink:

(EDIT: No problem, jad1. :( )

A very good question, and were I not to have the screenplay on my hard drive, I wouldn't have an answer.  But I do! :unsure:

332275[/snapback]

Anyone else think the Force is pretty lame? I mean, if you give in to evil and join the dark side, you get to shoot lightning bolts out of your hands. Pretty cool, but who wants to be evil. But if you stay on the good side, you're basically a pansy-ass pacifist who sits around waiting to get whacked. Every time you act aggressively, like Luke in RotJ, there's the Emperor saying you're getting closer to the dark side. So basically, you're either Ghandi or evil. Pretty lame.

Anyone else think the Force is pretty lame? I mean, if you give in to evil and join the dark side, you get to shoot lightning bolts out of your hands. Pretty cool, but who wants to be evil. But if you stay on the good side, you're basically a pansy-ass pacifist who sits around waiting to get whacked. Every time you act aggressively, like Luke in RotJ, there's the Emperor saying you're getting closer to the dark side. So basically, you're either Ghandi or evil. Pretty lame.

Which is why I'd turn to the dark side so fast my head would spin! <_<

Anyone else think the Force is pretty lame?

332294[/snapback]

Agreed, the bad ass characters are Darth Maul, Darth Vader, Greivous etc. They build the Death Star. The leader of the Jedi is a small green midget that retreats to a swamp when the going gets tough.

Maybe we should be having this conversation waiting in line for the movie to open, wearing the gear of our favorite stormtrooper or wookie.  :D

332245[/snapback]

And of course, that alone would make you a dork. <_<:P

Mike

the problem with the first two is that the plots are practically incomprehensible.  i've seen them more than once (my five year old son is a huge fan), and i still don't understand the motive forces driving the trade federation, the genosians, etc.  (and it's not like i'm an idiot - i have a freakin' phd in history and am a book editor for a press that publishes very dense and difficult books.) i suspect that some of the explanatory material was left on the cutting room floor in order for the film to meet a prescribed time length.  either that or lucas lost his basic storytelling skills ...

332270[/snapback]

Dave: The whole thing with the Trade Federation was nothing more than a set-up. It was a contrived behind-the-scenes effort with one purpose - to assist in getting Palpatine more power. The prequels don't only tell the story of Anakin Skywalker.....they also tell the story of how the Empire came to be. The Trade Federation was nothing more than a puppet being controlled by the Emperor, with the purpose being to create a sitution that would be more condusive to Palpatine gaining more power. This was accomplished by the no-confidence vote in the former chancellor and Palpatine eventually being elected the new chancellor. As you may remember, he then ultimately gains 'emergency' powers, which is essentially a carte blanche to run things as he sees fit. With that power he functioned in secret to put all sorts of chess pieces in place.....in Ep.III we basically get to see him carry out 'checkmate' against the Jedi.

I promise you that the first prequels make perfect sense.....you just have to think about them in terms of the other films. You'll also see that Ep.III will clear up a lot of the stuff that you may see as murky right now.

By the way, don't feel bad about being a little frustrated with the stuff you mentioned in your post. There were quite a few professional film critics - intelligent, well-spoken folks who do watch films for a living - who clearly missed a lot of these points, too. Honestly, if you look at Ep.I as a stand alone film, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The reviews of the folks who saw it in that manner reflected that. But the movie was never intended to stand on its own. It's simply one part of six, and in order for it to truly make sense it has to be viewed in that way.

<_<  Why? SW is fun, no more no less...I don't explore the in's and out's of the plots of the stories, but I like to hear the thoughts of the folks that do. I consider it good insight that makes watching 'em more enjoyable.

332273[/snapback]

That's actually really good to hear.....I think with the prequels, a lot of folks (like Dave, for example) get frustrated cause unless you sort of already know where things end up (in the original trilogy) it can seem like you're watching a two hour movie where all this stuff is taking place with no clear purpose. My best friend is a very smart guy, but his frustration got the better of him after he saw Ep.I cause all he saw was JarJar jumping around like an idiot and he just wasn't really in the position to see the big picture lol. The thing with the SW films is that there are clealy elements to them that are meant to appeal to kids. That was great when we were all, well, kids lol. But as adults we aren't looking at the flims through the same lens, so we have to sort of take our focus off the elements that we now may find sort of silly and annoying and focus on the deeper plot structure of the films. And there IS a deeper structure to them, thankfully. But I think a lot of that will be more clear after Ep.III to some of the folks that aren't so obsessed with the films as myself and some others on here lol.

Question for the die hard fans that has been bothering me. Why don't C3P0 and R2D2 realize that Luke is Anakins son? In the original Star Wars, they use the escape pods to go to Tatooine and end up at Uncle Owens place. After Atack of the Clones we realize that they had been there before. We also know that Anakin built C3PO. You would think that C3PO would have some recgnition for the family of his creator. Do they get their memories erased at the end of Episode III?

Do they get their memories erased at the end of Episode III?

332463[/snapback]

I believe that's the rumor, yep.....something along those lines. Supposedly there are several loose ends/questions that are going to be resolved in Ep.III. There are likely going to be some discrepancies that we'll just have to overlook, but I think the droid recognition issue is one of the ones that does get some attention.

I believe that's the rumor, yep.....something along those lines. Supposedly there are several loose ends/questions that are going to be resolved in Ep.III.  There are likely going to be some discrepancies that we'll just have to overlook, but I think the droid recognition issue is one of the ones that does get some attention.

332466[/snapback]

Most likely correct. Occam's razor.....

I believe that's the rumor, yep.....something along those lines. Supposedly there are several loose ends/questions that are going to be resolved in Ep.III.  There are likely going to be some discrepancies that we'll just have to overlook, but I think the droid recognition issue is one of the ones that does get some attention.

332466[/snapback]

One of the last lines in the book refer to 3PO's memory being erased (not R2's).