First Review -- "Revenge of the Sith"

uhhhh - while if you read the review you get that Lucas may have been trying to make a contemporary point, the author makes Lucas out to be Michael Moore or something. He forgets that the average Star Wars fan has not left his "apartment" in his mother's basement in 25 years. They have been too busy playing with thier action figures to take note of current events.

Oh yeah, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!

331101[/snapback]

LOL!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to start a whole new thread just asking this simple question, but.... I have never seen a single star wars movie.  Not really dying to, but as an openminded person i am willing to give the series a shot.  The question is, now that they have all been released, am i better off watching it from episode I - VI or should i go in the order that the movies were released?

Thanks

Watch them I-VI. That's how they are intended to be viewed - chronologically.

Watch them I-VI.  That's how they are intended to be viewed - chronologically.

331117[/snapback]

They sort of blew that card by releasing IV-VI a couple decades before I-III, but that is how i think i will do it. The genre isn't the most appealing to me, but i like epics so we will see how it goes...

Thanks guys

They sort of blew that card by releasing IV-VI a couple decades before I-III, but that is how i think i will do it.

According to Lucas himself, he had the whole thing planned out, but decided to release the middle installment first because it would give the series its best chance for success.

The genre isn't the most appealing to me, but i like epics so we will see how it goes...

My advice: Don't go in looking for "Citizen Kane." Accept it for what it is - a campy space opera that's meant to harken back to the days of Flash-Gordon-type serials, and also draws on epic mythology. If you adopt that attitude going in, you'll be all but guaranteed 13 hours of great fun.

According to Lucas himself, he had the whole thing planned out, but decided to release the middle installment first because it would give the series its best chance for success.

My advice:  Don't go in looking for "Citizen Kane."  Accept it for what it is - a campy space opera that's meant to harken back to the days of Flash-Gordon-type serials, and also draws on epic mythology.  If you adopt that attitude going in, you'll be all but guaranteed 13 hours of great fun.

331123[/snapback]

I am actually sort of looking forward to it at the moment. Then again, i have four papers to do by monday in order to graduate, so basically anything other than the history of the mexican-american war is really appealing to me.

Actually, I thought that was the dumbest thing Lucas has done outside of Jar Jar, but that is just me...

330685[/snapback]

I dunno, I thought the Ewoks were worse than Jar Jar could have hoped to be

My advice:  Don't go in looking for "Citizen Kane."  Accept it for what it is - a campy space opera that's meant to harken back to the days of Flash-Gordon-type serials, and also draws on epic mythology.  If you adopt that attitude going in, you'll be all but guaranteed 13 hours of great fun.

331123[/snapback]

That's a great point.....In fact, the negative reviews that came out for the first two prequels failed to look at things in those terms. These movies are meant to be entertainment above anything else. Those of us that allow them to be just that are the ones who usually 'get it'.

That's a great point.....In fact, the negative reviews that came out for the first two prequels failed to look at things in those terms. These movies are meant to be entertainment above anything else. Those of us that allow them to be just that are the ones who usually 'get it'.

331189[/snapback]

Exactly...if you're looking for great dialouge and out-of-this-world acting, the Star Wars series probably isn't for you. I was watching The Empire Strikes Back recently and actually winced a couple of times at Mark Hamill's delivery...but still an awesome movie

Definitely the best of the five...

Exactly...if you're looking for great dialouge and out-of-this-world acting, the Star Wars series probably isn't for you.  I was watching The Empire Strikes Back recently and actually winced a couple of times at Mark Hamill's delivery...but still an awesome movie 

Definitely the best of the five...

331203[/snapback]

Yeah, ESB was awesome. I was only 5 when the original SW came out, and even though I do have memories of the times I saw it, I remember seeing ESB very well. I loved everything about it at the time, and still do today.

Wow, that's two posters on here who have never seen one. That's pretty interesting!  Anyway, as a fan of this stuff since childhood, my expert opinion would be that you could watch them in either of the two ways you suggested. Being that episode III is about to hit theaters, though, I think I would lean more toward watching them from Ep.I onward so that you can experience this one in its theatrical presentation (assuming you can watch Ep.I and II in the next month or two).

My other advice would be to keep in mind that the original three SW movies are considered classics. I think the vast majority of established SW fans have enjoyed the prequels, but that same majority would also probably tell you that they don't measure up to the first three films. I guess what I'm saying is that if for any reason you find yourself thinking you don't really have much interest in Ep.I-III, I hope that you won't allow that to deter you from watching the original films. I only say that cause I have no idea how someone who has never seen a SW film will take to the new ones. My only real experience was with my former twin stepsons lol. They were 5 y.o. when Ep.II came out in 2002 - the same age I was when the original SW came out. Naturally, I was pretty excited to have the chance to foster two new SW fans. Well, Ep.I on DVD was more than enough to hook them. I don't have much contact with them anymore, unfortunately, but from what I've heard they watch the SW films over and over now just as I did growing up :( 

Anyway, I hope you'll let us know what you end up doing and what you think. There are a bunch of very devout SW fans on this board, so if you ever have any questions definitely come to us and ask....I love talking this stuff :lol:

331088[/snapback]

I have two nephews that are 4 and 6 and they prefer to watch Eps I and II over the classics. The still like the classics but when you ask them if they want to watch a SW movie they pick one of the first two Episodes. I was visiting them today and all they talked about today was the new SW movie coming out. Kinda reminds me of when I was young and seeing my brothers getting excited about the new SW movie. :lol:

I dunno, I thought the Ewoks were worse than Jar Jar could have hoped to be

331181[/snapback]

I found out something horrible last night. Jar Jar is my GF's favorite character of the first two movies. Time to break up I guess. But she is a Bills fan, so maybe that makes up for it.

I found out something horrible last night. Jar Jar is my GF's favorite character of the first two movies. Time to break up I guess. But she is a Bills fan, so maybe that makes up for it.

331360[/snapback]

Lucas said the reason he put JarJar in the first time was for kids & ladies. So, ... I guess it worked!

The original "Star Wars" is still the best. It was probably the seminal movie of my childhood (I was 8 when it came out).

I saw "Empire" and "Jedi" several times as well...both of which can stand on their own as great movies.

I had a problem with "Phantom Menace" partially because of the insinuation that Anakin was supposed to be some kind of Messiah (i.e., Mom didn't know who his dad was, didn't even know how she got pregnant, etc.). I thought that was totally unnecessary and even a tad sacreligious.

Jar-Jar was also unnecessary and I agree with those who say Jar-Jar played to stereotypes. As a result, I've only seen "Phantom" once...on a big screen, the week it came out.

I haven't seen "Clones", b/c of so many horrible reviews and the fact that "Phantom" was, in retrospect, pretty weak. But, I will watch the first two prior to seeing the new one.

Mike

The original "Star Wars" is still the best.  It was probably the seminal movie of my childhood (I was 8 when it came out).

I saw "Empire" and "Jedi" several times as well...both of which can stand on their own as great movies.

I had a problem with "Phantom Menace" partially because of the insinuation that Anakin was supposed to be some kind of Messiah (i.e., Mom didn't know who his dad was, didn't even know how she got pregnant, etc.).  I thought that was totally unnecessary and even a tad sacreligious. 

Jar-Jar was also unnecessary and I agree with those who say Jar-Jar played to stereotypes.  As a result, I've only seen "Phantom" once...on a big screen, the week it came out.

I haven't seen "Clones", b/c of so many horrible reviews and the fact that "Phantom" was, in retrospect, pretty weak.  But, I will watch the first two prior to seeing the new one.

Mike

331462[/snapback]

I've heard the stereotype argument about the Trade Federation guys and Wattoo (the guy who 'owned' little Ani and his mom), but what is the stereotype about JarJar? I respect your opinion on the Messiah thing, but the idea of a "chosen one' has been used in all sorts of different ways. I think Ep.III may clarify some of the questions about Anakin's birth, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The original "Star Wars" is still the best.  It was probably the seminal movie of my childhood (I was 8 when it came out).

I had a problem with "Phantom Menace" partially because of the insinuation that Anakin was supposed to be some kind of Messiah (i.e., Mom didn't know who his dad was, didn't even know how she got pregnant, etc.).  I thought that was totally unnecessary and even a tad sacreligious. 

Jar-Jar was also unnecessary and I agree with those who say Jar-Jar played to stereotypes.  As a result, I've only seen "Phantom" once...on a big screen, the week it came out.

I haven't seen "Clones", b/c of so many horrible reviews and the fact that "Phantom" was, in retrospect, pretty weak.  But, I will watch the first two prior to seeing the new one.

Mike

331462[/snapback]

IMO Clones was better than Mennace. I look at it as Lucas as it all building up to this next movie and by the sounds of it the climax of the three.

I've heard the stereotype argument about the Trade Federation guys and Wattoo (the guy who 'owned' little Ani and his mom), but what is the stereotype about JarJar?  I respect your opinion on the Messiah thing, but the idea of a "chosen one' has been used in all sorts of different ways. I think Ep.III may clarify some of the questions about Anakin's birth, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

331468[/snapback]

From what I understand, Jar-Jar's stereotype is racial in nature. Supposedly, he speaks as if he were Jamaican.

"The Simpsons" did a parody on "Star Wars" and had an autographed pic of the Jar-Jar character holding a joint.

I have no idea if the intent of Lucas to stereotype Jar-Jar is true or not, but that seems to be what resulted.

The "chosen one" and Messianic in my mind are two entirely different things. I think Anakin might well have been the "chosen one" (in fact, the previews indicate such), but if he were Messianic in nature, he never would have strayed to the Dark Side and become Darth Vader.

I just find that portion to be a bit on the sacreligious side.

Mike

IMO Clones was better than Mennace.  I look at it as Lucas as it all building up to this next movie and by the sounds of it the climax of the three.

331469[/snapback]

I thought Clones was a better film, too, though my favorite character of the prequels was only in Menace - Darth Maul.

Early indications are that Ep.III will tie up all the loose ends and leave you feeling pretty satisfied with the prequels.

I believe that some folks got thier PC panties in a wad because they claim Jar Jar is a sterotype of black people. And Watto was supposedly a Jewish stereotype. Whatever... :o

All in all, I love all the Star Wars movies, even Eps I and II. But yeah, there are a few things that irk me. I get what you say about the "messiah" syndrome, that was a bit much, but the worst thing was the attempt to actually explain how the force works with the Midichlorians. I thought it was much better the way Obi-Wan explained it in Star Wars, it gave it a much more mystic, spiritual source. But, as AJ points out, they are His movies and He can do whatever He wants. I am just thankful that Lucas was able to think up the idea in the first place.

Saying that, I would be very happy if Lucas let some other people write a SW story, maybe for the tv show. There is some pretty good expanded universe stuff out there, they have shown that not only Lucas can come up with a good SW idea. Of particular interest, there was a series of comics that came out in the mid 1990's from Dark Horse, the Tales of the Jedi that were really good. Went back a few thousand years and showed some stuff about the Sith Wars and how they were driven out from the republic. In fact, not many know this, but it was actually there that Lucas took the idea for Darth Maul's saber staff...

From what I understand, Jar-Jar's stereotype is racial in nature.  Supposedly, he speaks as if he were Jamaican. 

"The Simpsons" did a parody on "Star Wars" and had an autographed pic of the Jar-Jar character holding a joint.

I have no idea if the intent of Lucas to stereotype Jar-Jar is true or not, but that seems to be what resulted.

The "chosen one" and Messianic in my mind are two entirely different things.  I think Anakin might well have been the "chosen one" (in fact, the previews indicate such), but if he were Messianic in nature, he never would have strayed to the Dark Side and become Darth Vader. 

I just find that portion to be a bit on the sacreligious side.

Mike

331476[/snapback]

Hmmmm....well, I guess I just give Lucas the benefit of the doubt. I know very little of his politics, but aside from being pretty stubborn about wanting to do things his way, I don't really know him to be a controversial figure. After all, one of his closest friends is Steven Spielberg, so it's hard for me to imagine he's anti-semetic.....but then again, I don't really know one way or the other. Though I'm not the best Catholic when it comes to the actual practice of the faith, my belief system is such that I am very sensitive to people who exercise sacrilege. (I am bothered when people say "JC" or "GD" when they swear for gosh sakes lol.)

I dunno, like I said, I totally respect your view on the Anakin/Vader character. I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything like that. I just think Lucas has always had the good vs. evil thematic element in the center of his Star Wars vision. I think it's important to consider the ultimate fate of Vader and what exactly his journey to the dark side ultimately means in the end of Ep.VI.