National Treasure

dib

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost always buy; it's usually only a few bucks more than renting.

CW

329924[/snapback]

I've never quite undertstood th concept of buying movies. Once you've seen it, most of the allure is gone (since you now know how it all turns out). For me, music and concert videos are an exception.

There are very few movies I'd watch multiple times. Hell, I rarely have time to see the new ones coming out, let alone watching old movies for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time.

I think this is a generational phenomenon. Not having grown up with the convenience of home videos and VCRs, our generation wasn't in the habit of multiple viewings of the same movie. I think the 30 and under crowd, who were at most, 5 years old when the video explosion happened got used to watching the same Disney flick 20 times. Videos became that generations babysitters as the new supermoms were exhausted from 40+ hours in the workplace, and often being single parents.

I know pre-school kids who know every line from some movies.

To me, its seems like an incredible waste of time, but to each their own.

I've never quite undertstood th concept of buying movies. Once you've seen it, most of the allure is gone (since you now know how it all turns out). For me, music and concert videos are an exception.

There are very few movies I'd watch multiple times. Hell, I rarely have time to see the new ones coming out, let alone watching old movies for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time.

I think this is a generational phenomenon.  Not having grown up with the convenience of home videos and VCRs, our generation wasn't in the habit of multiple viewings of the same movie. I think the 30 and under crowd, who were at most, 5 years old when the video explosion happened got used to watching the same Disney flick 20 times. Videos became that generations babysitters as the new supermoms were exhausted from 40+ hours in the workplace, and often being single parents.

I know pre-school kids who know every line from some movies.

330062[/snapback]

We didn't have a VCR in our house until around '83, so I was 8 at the time. And back then, you really couldn't buy any movies so your timeline about videos being the babysitter is a bit off...

The reason I buy DVDs is because, as I said before, it's roughly the same price as renting. I can get DVDs for ~$7-8/each. If you rent, it's about $4-$5, and that's if you turn it in on time. This lets me buy the movie and watch it whenever I want without having to go Blockbuster to rent it. It's also cool to have friends over and watch a movie that you may have already seen but your buddies havn't so that you can get other people's opinions on the flick.

Also, a lot of movies are well worth multiple viewings to get some of the subtleties, sort of like how a lot of people here have watched every episode of Lost multiple times. You get more from the movie the second and third time. Have you ever re-read a book and gotten more from it the second time? Same thing.

The last reason I buy is because there are a LOT of extra features on DVDs that you just wouldn't have time to watch if you rented. Some movies have 2 or 3 commentary tracks, so that two hour movie takes 6-8 hours to watch if you want to hear the commentary. Who has time to do that with a 3 day rental?

I'm sure it's different for everybody, but those are the three main reasons that I prefer buying movies rather than just renting them.

CW

330062[/snapback]

I guess I should throw out all those books I enjoy re-reading.

330062[/snapback]

I guess I should throw out all those books I enjoy re-reading.

330128[/snapback]

Not at all. If you like re-reading them, why would you do that?

It's an individual choice. I was just saying that I don't get it. I don't re-read books either. There are too many that I haven't read yet that I'd rather read.

For videophiles, I can see wanting to own DVDs, with all their extra features and so forth. I just don't have any desire to repeat things when there are others available that I haven't yet experienced.

I will re-watch some recorded Bills' games. Some people could just as easily argue that that's also a waste of time (since I usually know the outcome). If there were new Bills games available which I hadn't seen, it might be a different matter.

Anyway, I'm not saying someone shouldn't re-watch movies or re-read books. Just not my thing.

I didn't see this movie, but the local movie reviewer who shows up on the radio from time to time, liked it. Cage usually makes pretty good flicks. A dog here and there, but "Raising Arizona", It Could Be You", and "City of Angels" were well-received.

rent it through netflix

330145[/snapback]

Exactly.....those of you who are paying $4-5 per rental could save a ton of money with Netflix.

As for National Treasure, I just watched it the other night. I thought it was a very entertaining film. I don't buy as often as Fez does (though I'm jealous of his DVD collection!), but I think the prices of DVDs are typically very reasonable. One of the largest determinants for me when it comes to buying is the audio/video quality of the disc. Home theater is one of my favorite hobbies, and I love films that have top notch quality sound or video. National Treasure has a good, but not great picture, but it has excellent sound. I enjoyed the film, but I don't really see myself watching it again, so I passed on buying it.

I didn't see this movie, but the local movie reviewer who shows up on the radio from time to time, liked it. Cage usually makes pretty good flicks. A dog here and there, but "Raising Arizona", It Could Be You", and "City of Angels" were well-received.

330190[/snapback]

I agree.....it's pretty rare that Cage makes a film that I don't at least enjoy. I wasn't crazy about 'Snake Eyes', but pretty much everything else he's done has been good enough that I've had fun with it. I forgot about 'Raising Arizona'.....that was a really good film!