Jess Pegula at the Aussie Open

Simon

2 hours ago, Simon said:

this opponent she beat is really good. She is going to have to play the match of her life against Barty!

BTW, I wonder what mom and dad do with these tournaments. I assume they are going to be in KC tonight, but gotta be tough to miss their daughter’s run in Australia. 

51 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

this opponent she beat is really good. She is going to have to play the match of her life against Barty!

BTW, I wonder what mom and dad do with these tournaments. I assume they are going to be in KC tonight, but gotta be tough to miss their daughter’s run in Australia. 

Lol - not your everyday parenting dilemma.  Honey, should we go watch the NFL team we own compete in the playoffs, or go cheer on our daughter as she incredibly makes a deep run at the Australian Open? 

• Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Lol - not your everyday parenting dilemma.  Honey, should we go watch the NFL team we own compete in the playoffs, or go cheer on our daughter as she incredibly makes a deep run at the Australian Open? 

well, turns out that mom and dad are in KC, but sis is in Australia! 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pegulas-sports-align-ahead-australian-082239420.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Awesome for her and the entire Pegula family.

The people with the “rich girl with a hobby” annoyed the $%^# out of me! They have no friggin’ idea what it takes to get to that level. She is head and shoulders above what 99.999% of those posters have achieved in whatever field they are in. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

For those of you interested , JP's match against the world number one is at 4 am Eastern time tonight. Go Jessica!

The crazy hour and the fact that it can be hotter than the sun make the Australian Open tough. I’d still love to go one day. It reminds me of the old party game, if you could go to ANY sporting event, what would it be? Super Bowl? (Done that.) Final Four? I’d hit he tennis Majors in London, Paris and Australia! Been to NYC many times, but I’d do the US Open once. The Masters is the coolest event on the planet, but once was enough to check it off. 

Apparently there are attendance limitations this year, but I’m not sure exactly how restrictive it is. Maybe Djokovic could explain it to me? :)  I’m sorry, not talking about his Covid stance, just his general smugness, but he reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

The crazy hour and the fact that it can be hotter than the sun make the Australian Open tough. I’d still love to go one day. It reminds me of the old party game, if you could go to ANY sporting event, what would it be? Super Bowl? (Done that.) Final Four? I’d hit he tennis Majors in London, Paris and Australia! Been to NYC many times, but I’d do the US Open once. The Masters is the coolest event on the planet, but once was enough to check it off. 

Apparently there are attendance limitations this year, but I’m not sure exactly how restrictive it is. Maybe Djokovic could explain it to me? :)  I’m sorry, not talking about his Covid stance, just his general smugness, but he reminds me of Aaron Rodgers. 

I would really like to go to one or more of the majors , hopefully before the big 3 of men's tennis retire. 

As for Djokovic, I always say that he may end up winning more majors than the other two but he will never win the hearts and minds of tennis fans like Federer and Nadal have. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I would really like to go to one or more of the majors , hopefully before the big 3 of men's tennis retire. 

As for Djokovic, I always say that he may end up winning more majors than the other two but he will never win the hearts and minds of tennis fans like Federer and Nadal have. 

I’ve been to the Miami tournament several times. The one that has gone by so many names (Sony, Lipton, Erickson, etc.) but I think is now just the Miami Open. I can only do so much in a 20k person stadium, but the small side courts and practice courts are worth the the effort and the cost. Amazing! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

huh? Good luck? Barty beat Pegula in straight sets. That sounds like terrible luck— Bills lose and then their owner’s daughter loses.

He's from Melbourne . . . I hear they pronounce it Melbin, so rooting for the Aussie gal.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

huh? Good luck? Barty beat Pegula in straight sets. That sounds like terrible luck— Bills lose and then their owner’s daughter loses.

JP overchieved given her ranking. She did very well in last year's Aussie Open. 

Ironically, she lost in the quarter finals, which is the equivalent of the NFL divisional round ( round of 8 )

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Not so much luck. Ash Barty is a machine.

Making the quarterfinals was no small feat. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

He's from Melbourne . . . I hear they pronounce it Melbin, so rooting for the Aussie gal.

It's just unfortunate Jess had to get Barty so early. A final build up would have been nice, but probably same result

Really a bad week for Buffalo natives.

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.