OT- Greater(movie), the Brandon Burlsworth story

Big Turk

Just watched this the other day after I saw it on Netflix I believe(might have been Starz, it's one or the other). 

Was a really good movie about a player not many ever heard of...a walk on offensive guard at Arkansas who turned into a first team All-American and 3rd round pick by the Colts in the 1999 draft through relentless belief in himself and hard work. 

Unfortunately 11 days after the draft he got in a head on collision with a semi and died, never getting to play in the NFL.

Would highly recommend if you like football movies.

Safety(on Disney+) was also a good movie about Clemson Safety Ray McElrathby and how he helped raise his younger brother while playing for Clemson, initially hiding it from the team but then with the support of the team and getting a waiver from the NCAA to receive outside assistance in one of the first waivers of it's kind that was granted.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Just watched this the other day after I saw it on Netflix I believe(might have been Starz, it's one or the other). 

Was a really good movie about a player not many ever heard of...a walk on offensive guard at Arkansas who turned into a first team All-American and 3rd round pick by the Colts in the 1999 draft through relentless belief in himself and hard work. 

Unfortunately 11 days after the draft he got in a head on collision with a semi and died, never getting to play in the NFL.

Safety(on Disney+) was also a good movie about Clemson Safety Ray McElrathby and how he helped raise his younger brother while playing for Clemson, initially hiding it from the team but then with the support of the team and getting a waiver from the NCAA to receive outside assistance in one of the first waivers of it's kind that was granted.

I would think if your a college football fan you have heard of Brandon

His story was national news and there is a college football award named after him

Edited by Buffalo716

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would think if your a college football fan you have heard of Brian 

His story was national news and there is a college football award named after him

There is(it's Brandon BTW)...I am not much of a college football fan other than just watching games here and there but they also have Scholarships at Arkansas named after him, with one going to the best walk-on player every year.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

You just said everything that happens in the movie.

I mean, you read a review of it and it will tell you that. It's not like I detailed everything about it, like how his Dad was an abusive alcoholic that wasn't in his life and how his brother and mother raised him, etc...

Edited by Big Turk

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There is(it's Brandon BTW)...I am not much of a college football fan other than just watching games here and there but they also have Scholarships at Arkansas named after him, with one going to the best walk-on player every year.

I mean, you read a review of it and it will tell you that. It's not like I detailed everything about it, like how his Dad was an abusive alcoholic that wasn't in his life and how his brother and mother raised him, etc...

Idk why my phone went to Brian lol i was speaking into my phone so maybe it picked it up wrong 

Great story

In the bio department at UB, there is a scholarship named after a grad student that was there when I attended. He had his PhD thesis defense scheduled and in the week before it he was out celebrating and died in a car accident.  For people who went to grad school, the thesis defense is really a formality as your committee has been appraised af your progress and then say it's time to start writing. The department granted his PhD posthumously. Was also a reminder to not celebrate early.

On 1/21/2022 at 2:05 PM, Big Turk said:

just watched Safety. Thanks for the recommendation. Really solid story. I never remember hearing about it at the time. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.