Kerry pays parking fines with campaign cash

http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view...articleid=81533

i don't really have a problem with using the campaign money, as the car was being used for campaign purposes.

but a half dozen parking tickets during the campaign :D

thats a half dozen more than i've had in 10 years

327867[/snapback]

Kerry resides in the most exclusive neighborhood in Boston, Louisburg Square. Parking in Boston is at a premium to say the least. It happened that some mis-guided town planner placed a fire hydrant right outside his digs. Nevermind the hydrant pre-dated the purchase of the home by his wealthy heiress wife. Needless to say Kerry ccomplained of this onerous situation and, lo and behold, the fire hydrant was moved to the front of some other less connected neighbor.

I doubt he drove himself anywhere during the campaign. So the money probably should not come from campaign funds.

Now if it was a vehicle he was using, even if someone else was driving, on campaign stops got tickets, then yes he should be able to use campaign funds to pay the tickets. Part of the cost of campaigning.

I doubt he drove himself anywhere during the campaign.  So the money probably should not come from campaign funds.

Now if it was a vehicle he was using, even if someone else was driving, on campaign stops got tickets, then yes he should be able to use campaign funds to pay the tickets.  Part of the cost of campaigning.

329034[/snapback]

Is it just me, or are you contradicting yourself in this post? First, you say that campaign funds should not be used to pay the tickets, but then you state that campaign funds could be used for paying the tickets. It seems like the only difference, in your mind, is whether he owns the vehicle himself or whether it is one borrowed for the campaign?

IMO, regardless of who owns the vehicle, campaign funds should not be used to pay parking tickets. Essentially, he (or his driver) broke the law. Breaking the law is not part of "the cost of campaigning."

If we are going to hold elected officials to higher standards than ourselves, we need to be consistent. The money needs to come out of his pocket and not the campaign coffers.

Is it just me, or are you contradicting yourself in this post? First, you say that campaign funds should not be used to pay the tickets, but then you state that campaign funds could be used for paying the tickets. It seems like the only difference, in your mind, is whether he owns the vehicle himself or whether it is one borrowed for the campaign?

IMO, regardless of who owns the vehicle, campaign funds should not be used to pay parking tickets. Essentially, he (or his driver) broke the law. Breaking the law is not part of "the cost of campaigning."

If we are going to hold elected officials to higher standards than ourselves, we need to be consistent. The money needs to come out of his pocket and not the campaign coffers.

329053[/snapback]

What I expect and I what I get are two seperate things. Reality sucks, and we wind up having to live with it. But his actions such as this are part of why he was not elected.

What I said was however, there was no way he got those tickets himself during the campaign. No way he is driving himself and parking his car anywhere.

Therefore, there are times that it is required to stop quickly near a campaign stop and get the ticket then have to park blocks away and walk. It isn't fair to him as he does need to get in, get out and move on to the next rally. Because he likely the last one to arrive and rightfully so, you except all the parking to be gone near by. Hence parking illegally is probably the only option and in my mind acceptable in those cases.

Again he also didn't really get the tickets but the driver of the car, and yes I would expect the cmpaign to pick up the costs.

What I expect and I what I get are two seperate things.  Reality sucks, and we wind up having to live with it.  But his actions such as this are part of why he was not elected. 

What I said was however, there was no way he got those tickets himself during the campaign.  No way he is driving himself and parking his car anywhere. 

Therefore, there are times that it is required to stop quickly near a campaign stop and get the ticket then have to park blocks away and walk.  It isn't fair to him as he does need to get in, get out and move on to the next rally.  Because he likely the last one to arrive and rightfully so, you except all the parking to be gone near by.  Hence parking illegally is probably the only option and in my mind acceptable in those cases. 

Again he also didn't really get the tickets but the driver of the car, and yes I would expect the cmpaign to pick up the costs.

329059[/snapback]

It does not matter if people are willing to "live with it." It does not matter if his driver parks illegally instead of dropping the candidate off at the door and then parking elsewhere. Campaign funds should not be used to pay for breaking the law. It does not matter who the candidate is or what office they are running for. It is a simple matter of ethics.

Why does this surprise anyone at all? The fact that kerry used other peoples money to pay his fines...why should this surprise you. The fact that he or others that work for him simply ignored the law, and the no parking signs? Please this guy is an arrogant ass, and we should not expect anyone around him to behave in any other way.

Finally, he is simply above us. He more then likely felt that he was doing the world a favor by running for president, and he should not be bugged with suchminor and petty little things like parking tickets or parking violations. Such things are for the naves and the common folk among us.

Why does this surprise anyone at all? The fact that kerry used other peoples money to pay his fines...why should this surprise you. The fact that he or others that work for him simply ignored the law, and the no parking signs? Please this guy is an arrogant ass, and we should not expect anyone around him to behave in any other way.

Finally, he is simply above us. He more then likely felt that he was doing the world a favor by running for president, and he should not be bugged with suchminor and petty little things like parking tickets or parking violations. Such things are for the naves and the common folk among us.

329256[/snapback]

I would be willing to bet the house (hell all my campaign money) that if you looked in to the campaign spending of every political campaign, you would find things much more frivolous than parking tickets that were paid for with campaign funds. Campaign funds are for runnning a campaign. Parking tickets may be collected along the way. You have no earthly idea what the circumstances were for these tickets. The fake outrage of the right lives on, on the PPP I see...

A Federal Election Commission spokesman said congressmen can pay parking tickets and other expenses from campaign funds if they are "campaign-related," United Press International reports.

Looking at the FEC site I guess that falls under:

9034.10 Expenditures for qualified campaign expenses by multicandidate

political committees.

329256[/snapback]

And this doesn't explain YOUR stance on theft of services?

Hello Pot, Kettle calling!

0:):lol:

Kerry resides in the most exclusive neighborhood in Boston, Louisburg Square. Parking in Boston is at a premium to say the least. It happened that some mis-guided town planner placed a fire hydrant right outside his digs. Nevermind the hydrant pre-dated the purchase of the home by his wealthy heiress wife. Needless to say Kerry ccomplained of this onerous situation and, lo and behold, the fire hydrant was moved to the front of some other less connected neighbor.

328971[/snapback]

Sounds like a good use of the Massachusetts tax payers' money. Way to put the people first Senator! 0:)

I would be willing to bet the house (hell all my campaign money) that if you looked in to the campaign spending of every political campaign, you would find things much more frivolous than parking tickets that were paid for with campaign funds.  Campaign funds are for runnning a campaign. Parking tickets may be collected along the way.  You have no earthly idea what the circumstances were for these tickets.  The fake outrage of the right lives on, on the PPP I see...

329324[/snapback]

Not Al Sharpton. His campaign spending was squeaky clean and by the book. Only a raicst was accuse the good Reverend of misuse of funds. 0:)

I would be willing to bet the house (hell all my campaign money) that if you looked in to the campaign spending of every political campaign, you would find things much more frivolous than parking tickets that were paid for with campaign funds.  Campaign funds are for runnning a campaign. Parking tickets may be collected along the way.  You have no earthly idea what the circumstances were for these tickets.  The fake outrage of the right lives on, on the PPP I see...

329324[/snapback]

I doubt it was a decision made from the top to have these fines paid for with campaign money. That said, everyone who contributed and worked hard for their money, should be really disappointed about this. I think McCain-Feingold could, and should have been a LOT tougher than it is to prevent this kind of garbage on all sides. I long for the day when we can expect much, much more from our politicians and they exact less from us.

I think I feel a Darin comment on my naivete coming on. 0:)

I think I feel a Darin comment on my naivete coming on.  0:)

330012[/snapback]

Based on my emotional diatribe in this thread, no doubt. Sorry, I'll leave caring about these kinds of things to people like Rich, who steals television signals. Is it symptomatic of the political machine of this country not to play by the rules the masses do? Sure. Do I think John Kerry told his staffers to pay these parking tickets with campaign cash? Judging from the way his campaign ran, I seriously doubt his opinion would have even been considered.

Based on my emotional diatribe in this thread, no doubt.  Sorry, I'll leave caring about these kinds of things to people like Rich, who steals television signals.

330031[/snapback]

0:)

Is it symptomatic of the political machine of this country not to play by the rules the masses do?  Sure.  Do I think John Kerry told his staffers to pay these parking tickets with campaign cash?  Judging from the way his campaign ran, I seriously doubt his opinion would have even been considered.

330031[/snapback]

Exactly.

OH NO.  HE PAID FOR PARKING TICKETS WITH CAMPAIGN CASH.  WHAT IS THIS COUNTRY COMING TO?

[/sarcasm]

330254[/snapback]

Don't worry....it's not like we elected the guy President or something really insane!

<_<:doh:<_<

And this doesn't explain YOUR stance on theft of services?

Hello Pot, Kettle calling!

<_<  <_<

329869[/snapback]

umm !@#$...was I running for President of the United States of America???

You are such a sorry sport...just wishing you a some free direct TV to. he he he ....what a sorry little man.

umm !@#$...was I running for President of the United States of America???

You are such a sorry sport...just wishing you a some free direct TV to. he he he ....what a sorry little man.

330517[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right. We should only hold politicians to high standards - not ourselves. <_<