My case for Trubisky to the Colts

Alphadawg7

Will Wentz be the week 1 Starter for the Colts in 2022?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Will Wentz be the week 1 Starter for the Colts in 2022?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Chances you think Colts sign Trubisky to start or compete to start?

• For sure
    • Good Chance
    • Possibly, but not likely
    • None

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Both points not true, and if Allen throws up all over himself for a 3rd straight (home) game and Bills go one and done in the playoffs I think you are going to be surprised how many fans turn on him. Certainly the national and local media has not been afraid to call him out despite the Bills winning the last few weeks.

And for the record, personally I've never said Allen isn't a franchise QB. He's obviously the best we've had since Jim Kelly but there are still too many unknown variables to know who JA17 really is and/or if 2020 was the peak of his career.

A lot of questions are going to be answered starting Saturday night that's for sure.

Everyone is tired of your nonsense, so just stop already.

11 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

but there are still too many unknown variables to know who JA17 really is and/or if 2020 was the peak of his career.

Lol, here is one of those "wtf he gettin this idea from" type post that was mentioned couple weeks ago....

LOL....You know good-n-well it's crystal clear who Allen is and what he brings to the table. Also LOL @ "if 2020 was peak of his career". You can put better bait out than this one, although I know you will reel a few in here but anyways....

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Free agent so tbd 

I think they likely keep Winston a little longer. He played pretty well before injury and with him already familiar with offense it's hard to see Mitch going there. If he goes I think it could be Steelers, Broncos, WFT, or somewhere like that?

• Like (+1) 1

Wentz sucks.

Frank had no Wentz magic (despite a billion preseason posts here to the contrary).

Trubisky sucks.  

Can you imagine being a Colts fan going from Luck to Brissett to Rivers to Wentz to......Trubisky??

lol. COME ON with this......

• Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wentz sucks.

Frank had no Wentz magic (despite a billion preseason posts here to the contrary).

Trubisky sucks.  

Can you imagine being a Colts fan going from Luck to Brissett to Rivers to Wentz to......Trubisky??

Yeah, Luck really screwed them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wentz sucks.

Trubisky sucks.  

I'd easily take that over the  stretch of QBs us Bills fans watched for years lol

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Lol, here is one of those "wtf he gettin this idea from" type post that was mentioned couple weeks ago....

LOL....You know good-n-well it's crystal clear who Allen is and what he brings to the table. Also LOL @ "if 2020 was peak of his career". You can put better bait out than this one, although I know you will reel a few in here but anyways....

Well Josh only personally had 4 times the yards of the entire Jets team but the real question is why not 4 times the entries league?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Shoen as GM, Dabol HC and brings Trubisky with him? May not be a new thread, you joke, but I could see it happen.😉

The Giants are letting their new GM run the HC process. So if it is Schoen then I think you might see Daboll and Frazier's name shoot up the list. Then question would Daboll think Mitch > Daniel Jones? I think you'd have to because the worst outcome is two guys you think are very similar level battling it out. In my experience that never ends well . You always end up with some flip flopping. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Giants are letting their new GM run the HC process. So if it is Schoen then I think you might see Daboll and Frazier's name shoot up the list. Then question would Daboll think Mitch > Daniel Jones? I think you'd have to because the worst outcome is two guys you think are very similar level battling it out. In my experience that never ends well . You always end up with some flip flopping. 

Correct.  I think it would all be pending Shoen as GM. I don't think there is a major difference between MT and DJ, but I do think MT is better (my opinion) as the little I have seen of DJ, he is not the answer for the Giants. Don't the Giants have to make a decision this year on DJ's 5th year option? As to Frazier and Dabol, I don't know what it is, I just can't picture Frazier in NY. I could see Dabol and him bringing MT as they have had a year together and giving him the ability to win the job as the starting qb. Would take a little pressure off a new gm having a known/ familiarity HC, possible QB, a RB (if Saqon stays) and can focus on other areas. I wouldn't picture Dabol as one to flip flop, He's to stubborn. 😉

17 hours ago, Utah John said:

Why?  Desperation. 

Does the name Kyle Orton ring a bell?

The Colts aren't the Bills during the Russ Brandon/Doug Marrone regime.

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont know, he didn't look good in DC this year in his brief time before getting hurt.  With his age and stuff, I am not sure the market is going to be much for Fitz this year.  

I think that Fitz is very likely to call it a career.

16 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t think a brand new FO and HC are looking at players like Trubisky as their long term options.  On a short, reasonable deal while they draft their future, sure.  They would realize that there is a possibility of getting lucky with such a reclamation project, but they wouldn’t bank on it. 

I don't think FO or HCs seriously consider failed QBs as serious "reclamation projects" because they don't seem to exist.   Off hand, I can't think of a single "reclamation project" QB who has turned into a legitimately good NFL QB on another team in the last decade.   By legitimate, I mean a QB who's successful as a starting QB for multiple seasons.    I think in the modern NFL, the things that really separate good/great QBs from the rest aren't "fixable", ie can't be coached: leadership, drive/determination, decision-making, reaction time etc.   Either a QB has these traits or he doesn't.  Josh Allen, as poor a passer as he was early on, always exhibited these traits, especially leadership and the will to win.    A QB can improve his mechanics (as Allen has) and learn from experience what to do and not do in most situations but some QBs just make the right decision more times than not and others do the opposite.

I think between the 2 Mitch would be the better pick & Frank knowing QB talent may be willing to give up a good draft pick plus for him & i would say that Beane should start talking to him now to see if there would be any way to get some kind of compensation for his time here rather than just letting him walk. 

If he is just allowed to leave at the end of the season then i would think Frank would be very interested in picking him up & at the very least making a competition for the position & i would think unless Wentz got his stuff together to be the player he was in Philly a few years back that Mitch would beat him out .

Frank may be just what Tribisky would need because the guys in Chicago didn't have a clue how to bring him along !! 

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

I don't think FO or HCs seriously consider failed QBs as serious "reclamation projects" because they don't seem to exist.   Off hand, I can't think of a single "reclamation project" QB who has turned into a legitimately good NFL QB on another team in the last decade.   By legitimate, I mean a QB who's successful as a starting QB for multiple seasons.    I think in the modern NFL, the things that really separate good/great QBs from the rest aren't "fixable", ie can't be coached: leadership, drive/determination, decision-making, reaction time etc.   Either a QB has these traits or he doesn't.  Josh Allen, as poor a passer as he was early on, always exhibited these traits, especially leadership and the will to win.    A QB can improve his mechanics (as Allen has) and learn from experience what to do and not do in most situations but some QBs just make the right decision more times than not and others do the opposite.

Yeah it doesn’t happen a lot, but without thinking about it much, I can think of a couple like Ryan Tannehill (Mia to Tenn) for example, Alex Smith (SF to KC).

Going back further, guys like Rich Gannon and Steve Young are other great examples.

That being said, you are correct that teams don’t cover reclamation projects and it’s real common it works out when they do.  And this is why I said in my OP that I don’t think any of the rebuilding teams are going to show much interest in Mitch.

And that is more reason why I think the Colts make the most sense.  They used a first rounder to get Wentz already.  Mitch is a guy who can come in cheap and at least push or challenge Wentz.  Worst case, they upgrade their backup QB position which is something they badly need.  Best case, he comes in and wins the job and becomes an upgrade over what Wentz did this year.  

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Firstly, I’m not sure how you turned “get lucky” into “seriously consider”.  I by no means suggested that Trubisky or someone like him should be someone’s primary strategy.

As for who has made the jump on their second team after being replaced early and/or after little or limited success with their first team, I’d say Tannehill certainly qualifies.  If you go back further, Kurt Warner is an obvious example.  Alex Smith qualifies and a case can be made that Brees does too.  While he wasn’t a total flop in SD, he did not play well enough soon enough that he wasn’t replaced. 

That all said, I do not have high hopes that Trubisky will be successful as a starting NFL QB.  But I can allow for a slim chance that he could.  In any event, I think he’s good enough to be a bridge/backup QB in the league.  Combine that with a poor QB draft class and it makes sense for a QB needy team to go with someone like him that gives them an extra out (to use a poker term) rather than someone like Tyrod where there is zero chance of improvement.

He makes sense in a place like Denver if they miss out on Rodgers and Wilson and have to draft a QB. A three year deal that’s really a one year deal at relatively low salary with a two year option at starting QB money makes sense for a player like Trubisky.  He can go into a good situation there and try to raise his value.

I think there's a big difference between a first or second round QB who doesn't quite develop as hoped for but is a decent starter for several seasons, especially when playing for a mediocre team, and a first or second round QB who never develops into a good starting QB although he might have a good season or put together some good games. 

• Brees was a second rounder who played well enough to be named to the starter for several years that the Chargers allowed to leave after he was injured because they had Rivers waiting in the wings. 
  • Alex Smith was the starting QB in San Francisco for 7 seasons (he missed 1 season because of a shoulder injury).  He wasn't great but he wasn't a failure, just not as good as hoped for  on a team that was pretty poor.   He made the Pro Bowl three times on the Chiefs with a better team around him.  KC traded him after they drafted Mahomes.
  • Ryan Tannehill was much like Alex Smith: a decent starter on a pretty crappy team for a number of years.  He was traded to a better team and blossomed.

Mitch Trubisky failed in Chicago just as Wentz failed in Philadelphia.  Neither one has much potential to become a good starter elsewhere because they both have failed to develop into decent starting QBs. 

Given their investment in Wentz (3rd round pick in 2021 and 1st round pick in 2022) and $15M in dead cap if they cut him, they're stuck with him.  There is no answer in the draft, no franchise guy is coming to them and signing Trubisky is spinning their wheels.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.